LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise update (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 01:03 PM
MikeinLA
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS 460 will be my next car, so I'm doing my research. FWIW, I had my RX330 in for service today and I was quizzing the service advisor about the 460 in terms of complaints, problems, etc. He said flat-out, "It's the most amazing car you will ever drive, but don't buy one until they fix the wind noise problem with the mirrors." So I guess it is quite a big deal for them. Then I came here and noticed this thread. Sounds like it's the only flaw in this truly awesome car.

Mike
Old 05-30-07, 03:07 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I talked the my dealer this morning. Lexus is still going to replace the glass. They have been working on a fix. They ran into problems with the fix not getting rid of all of the wind noise. It will be middle to late June before he thought the fix would be ready. I will be the first person at my dealer to have the retro fit done. They will also be adding more insulation as well. The transmission fix won't be out until July is what I've been told.

Craig
I think you're the first guy here that is actually getting something done by the dealer, and although this is good news, I don't see other dealers doing anything. Now, is this proposed solution your dealer is working on something suggested by Lexus Corp or is it just your dealer trying hard?

If it's from Lexus Corp let us know because then we're going to DEMAND a fix from our respective dealers.
Old 05-30-07, 05:36 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It's from Lexus Corp. My dealer is working hard to resolve the problem. This is my 5th Lexus I've purchased from the same dealer. The head tech. is the person I called. He also tried the field fix on the mirror and molding that didn't solve much of the problem. It never hurts to call Lexus and complain. I don't feel the need to Call Lexus Corp because the tech is in contact with them. He last talked to them two weeks ago and they're aware of the problem.

Craig
Old 05-30-07, 05:41 PM
Craig B

The transmission problem is the delay when pulling away from a stop. They're working to speed up the delay. They will have a TSB out in July is what the tech at the dealer told me. It really doesn't bother me that much. I think they did the delay to save fuel. I did have my transmission slip a couple of times. I think it got mixed up. From my understanding, there is a high and low on the transmission.

Craig
Old 05-31-07, 10:31 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

I have to vent: I hope Lexus Corp is noticing a 7,000+ hit thread about wind noise. This issue IMHO is taking way too long to be solved. When people buy a car for more than 70 thousand dollars wind noise should not be even on the list of annoyances.

Out of the 7,000+ hits here, how many were potential buyers that now are thinking twice about buying the car?

Come on Lexus, give us a solution NOW. You have the contact info of all your customers.

Old 05-31-07, 10:33 AM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential good news

Checking in from Chicago, I got an unprompted call from my Lexus salesperson telling me Lexus is close to a solution and it looks like there will be Lexus corporate based campaign to replace all the front windows as Lexus has determined the thinnner glass does not fill the window channel sufficiently.
Old 05-31-07, 10:38 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

^ You're lucky. No calls here so far, not even a hint that they're working on the problem.
Old 05-31-07, 11:29 AM
vanlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the informative thread. I have visited two local Lexus dealerships in the past week.

I have expressed interest specifically in the SWB, yet on both occaisions, I've been offered a LWB to test drive.

Should I be reading into this accordingly??

Last edited by vanlex; 06-14-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 12:28 PM
Craig B

The tech told me he's driven the LS 460L for four days and it doesn't have the wind noise. You would think Lexus monitors this board?

Craig
Old 05-31-07, 04:28 PM
Craig B

Most LWB cars have not had the problem with wind noise. I have heard of a couple of people who also have wind noise with the LWB. Lexus will also be adding more insulation as well as thicker glass, so if you're having wind noise in the LWB, talk to your dealer about extra insulation once they start the retro fit of the SWB...

Craig
Old 05-31-07, 05:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

My LS 460 SWB is probably about to be built in the next week or so. I hope they do the glass replacement now on the assembly line.
Old 05-31-07, 05:49 PM
Craig B

I wish you luck. At some point, Lexus is going to make the change at the factory. I don't have a date. That's what the tech at the dealer told me...

Craig
Old 05-31-07, 05:57 PM
Nospinzone

Hmmmmm, there must be a way to look at the window and determine if it is the thicker glass. I could refuse delivery I suppose. I'm not sure if that would be a legal way out.
Old 05-31-07, 06:57 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There is. If it is laminated, it will say so at the bottom corner of the glass panel, and it would match the label on the windshield. The rear compartment is, and probably will always be safety glass.

It should look like the labels in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d+glass&page=2

Last edited by Johnny; 05-31-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 07:02 PM
Nospinzone

Ah, OK, thanks Burnaby.

Actually I shouldn't have used the term "legal". What I meant is getting out with my deposit. Although I would immediately order a 2008, so it shouldn't be an issue. Its not like they would be stuck with a car they couldn't sell!

Quick Reply: Wind noise update (merged threads)