LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Oil leaks everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 10:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Oil leaks everywhere

My 2001 LS430 with 128,000 miles has numerous oil leaks but all are slow and have not started dripping on the driveway floor or garage. I've been watching them for almost 4 months and placed dye in the engine oil to diagnose the oil pan leak. That one is coming from the dip stick tube seal and oil level sender seal. I also have a very slow rear main seal leak as well as 2 tranmission leaks one of which is coming from the linkage on the side. My dilemma is this. Even at an Indy shop, to fix all the leaks will cost a pretty penny as the rear main and the trans linkage require the trans to be removed. I haven't done anything yet because the leaks are so slow. Do I fix the dip stick tube seal and oil level sender seal only to wait for the rear main to get worse? I'm ok for now but am not sure how to proceed once the leaks get worse. PS....I am not ok with oil on my driveway and garage floor as well as anyone else's so that is not an option to let it drip on the ground once it gets worse.
Old 03-14-17, 11:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

hate to hear it....I wonder if it would be prudent to wait and see....meaning if it's not a lot and it's something you can live with, maybe 12 mos. from now, nothing has changed....or you go all out and get it fixed. I'm thinking all or nothing....
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 11:23 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
hate to hear it....I wonder if it would be prudent to wait and see....meaning if it's not a lot and it's something you can live with, maybe 12 mos. from now, nothing has changed....or you go all out and get it fixed. I'm thinking all or nothing....
. The lower oil pan leaks can be repaired for a reasonable sum ($300-$400). If that becomes the worst of the leaks I may proceed as rear mains can sometimes leak slowly for years before getting bad. Yes now it's just waiting to see how it progresses. I've been using as of my last oil change (Mobile 1 High Mileage). Not sure it will slow things down but it can't hurt or make things any worse.
Old 03-14-17, 11:36 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i would run 10/30 oil if you havent already and see if it stops.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 11:54 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i would run 10/30 oil if you havent already and see if it stops.
Thanks. I've been using Mobile 1 5W/30 High Mileage which after doing some reading on oil sites is somewhat thicker than the conventional 5W/30.
Old 03-14-17, 01:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Depends what your intended time frame is to drive the car. For a year, I would say no. If aiming for the 200K mile mark then yes. This balances what a replacement car will cost and factoring the repair on a known condition. Provided the car functions reliably in other aspects to keep it. A RMS is The transmission shaft selector seals do wear and the fix isn't big $. I had them done in ours along with the valve cover gaskets and dip stick O-ring.
The following 2 users liked this post by RA40:
2KHarrier (03-14-17), Bocatrip (03-14-17)
Old 03-14-17, 03:24 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Depends what your intended time frame is to drive the car. For a year, I would say no. If aiming for the 200K mile mark then yes. This balances what a replacement car will cost and factoring the repair on a known condition. Provided the car functions reliably in other aspects to keep it. A RMS is The transmission shaft selector seals do wear and the fix isn't big $. I had them done in ours along with the valve cover gaskets and dip stick O-ring.
I hope I'm describing the correct trans leak from the passenger side of the trans. I believe my tech said it was the selector seal but not positive. He did say that the trans had to be removed to get to it. He was the service manager at Lexus before partnering up with the present Indy shop. It's also leaking from the other side of the trans which most likely is at the pan. Was your trans repair for your LS400 pictured or an LS430? I don't do much driving (maybe 7,000 miles a year) but replacing the car would be expensive and of course I won't know what I'm getting. The only cars I'm considering is a 2006 LS430, but will have to repair everything I've repaired already on my 01 or an Infiniti M35 or M37 either 2008-10 or 2011-12. I still like my car's design better, but I want reliability and the VQ engines are pretty bullet proof. Not sure I'm going 200,000 miles with this car, but I can see keeping it for a few more years. Body is straight as an arrow with no paint work, dings, or scratches. Interior is like new. Just had the front and rear bumpers painted and replaced a front wheel bearing hub. Car is great, and I don't want to sell it. That's my dilemma!
Old 03-14-17, 05:00 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

How much total oil are we talking about?
Like a teaspoon every couple months? Or is it more serious?

If putting a drip pan underneath is not an acceptable solution, my honest advice would just be to sell the car and move on as you're probably approaching the value of the car outright if you take it to any shop to fix.

I will say this, and I'm sure some people will vocally disagree, I have used motor oil "seal conditioners/stop leak" on beater cars in the past and it did make a noticeable difference in how much oil would weep out and had no bad side effects. Motor oil off the shelf have these sort of additives, its basically more of it in a concentrated form. maybe try Lucas?
Old 03-14-17, 08:35 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You have a tough decision that we will all likely be faced with at some point with these cars since they are aging despite being well cared for. Any LS, even those in mint condition can start seeping oil as the car ages especially when past the 15 years in service mark. Its a tough call for me because I honestly don't want any other car. If they were still making brand new LS430s I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. With my 2006 LS I'm trying to make it to 2026 when I should be able to buy a 3 year old used plug in hybrid that will see me through another 15 or so years to when I likely will stop driving. So if I had an 2001 LS in great shape I'd likely get the oil leaks fixed and then drive it until 2021 - so at least 4 more years. If the repairs cost you $2k, that's only $500/year to keep driving your LS430. That's a reasonable investment/deal in my opinion especial since there isn't much out there right now to match an LS430 without spending serious $$$.
Old 03-14-17, 09:19 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I hope I'm describing the correct trans leak from the passenger side of the trans. I believe my tech said it was the selector seal but not positive. He did say that the trans had to be removed to get to it. He was the service manager at Lexus before partnering up with the present Indy shop. It's also leaking from the other side of the trans which most likely is at the pan. Was your trans repair for your LS400 pictured or an LS430? I don't do much driving (maybe 7,000 miles a year) but replacing the car would be expensive and of course I won't know what I'm getting. The only cars I'm considering is a 2006 LS430, but will have to repair everything I've repaired already on my 01 or an Infiniti M35 or M37 either 2008-10 or 2011-12. I still like my car's design better, but I want reliability and the VQ engines are pretty bullet proof. Not sure I'm going 200,000 miles with this car, but I can see keeping it for a few more years. Body is straight as an arrow with no paint work, dings, or scratches. Interior is like new. Just had the front and rear bumpers painted and replaced a front wheel bearing hub. Car is great, and I don't want to sell it. That's my dilemma!
My 01 was easily a 200k car but I wanted the 04-06 improvements (especially the 6 speed). Much as I like my LS, I just can't see putting out lots of money for repairs (especially if you're not going to keep it long term) I just did the upgrade and it's a much nicer car. Sold the 01 for 8 (private) and bought the 04 for 13 (CA dealer). Like you said, when you buy another used car, there may be more repairs. The 04 I bought had all the usual problems fixed (door mirrors, driver door lock, new OEM ML amp, TB, LCA's etc). However, had to do the NAV display fix (250 repaired), 04 trans service and blown subwoofer. PS pump is starting to whine. I'm in for a grand in repairs and preventative service (all new fluids, etc). PS replace is the last repair I'll do. Otherwise it's time for a really nice 06. If you find a reasonably low mileage well maintained turn key 06 (base?) it's def worth considering.
Old 03-15-17, 05:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
You have a tough decision that we will all likely be faced with at some point with these cars since they are aging despite being well cared for. Any LS, even those in mint condition can start seeping oil as the car ages especially when past the 15 years in service mark. Its a tough call for me because I honestly don't want any other car. If they were still making brand new LS430s I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. With my 2006 LS I'm trying to make it to 2026 when I should be able to buy a 3 year old used plug in hybrid that will see me through another 15 or so years to when I likely will stop driving. So if I had an 2001 LS in great shape I'd likely get the oil leaks fixed and then drive it until 2021 - so at least 4 more years. If the repairs cost you $2k, that's only $500/year to keep driving your LS430. That's a reasonable investment/deal in my opinion especial since there isn't much out there right now to match an LS430 without spending serious $$$.
I wonder sometimes, if there is any pattern....say with cars subjected to heat. I remember seeing a Phoenix, AZ Maxima, on the forum, and thinking hot da* look at how nice that is, no rust that we are used to seeing, but look at that bad oil leak? curious if the extreme heat has anything to do with it. Really should not, but still wonder what the high heat does, or if being dry, has any effect....FLA would be hot and humid....in the end the lack of rust would trump everything, oooops sorry to get political....
Old 03-15-17, 09:02 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

We get 100+ days regularly in the summer. Zero leaks with either my 01 (102) or 04 (106), Any AZ owner comments?
Old 03-15-17, 09:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

At 124,000 miles and never had, nor have, an oil leak or any other kind. Blistering heat here in the summers, to be in 90's for the rest of this week.
Old 03-15-17, 11:40 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The repairs were for the 400. The engine and transmissions are relatively stable components in the LS's so those are good odds. Some samples can yield very long lifespans with minimal maintenance, others will constantly chew on the wallet. Managing the wear issues will be a growing situation with age. I also concur with jabberwock and tallcaguy's thoughts. Having a car that suits the reliability factors as well as balance of what the wallet is willing.