LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Potential LS 430 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 08:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

15k sounds ok considering low mileage, new shocks (if OEM air) and TB. Of course, 14 sounds even better. These are hard cars to sell because of the age and bland appearance. This gives any buyer some room to negotiate. For 15, it should be turn key (good tires, battery, current registration, no repairs needed). Like Father, I'm used to CA prices. I paid a dealer 13 for an 04 ML w/ 101. One owner, full dealer service. Sure private sale is going to be less but it is hard to find a good one! Out here, the nice ones generally end up at a major dealer. Autotrader is a good source for better (often dealer) cars. Car Gurus has everything from clean to ultra high mileage junk that sit for months. Craig's? Generally (not always) lower end examples. There''s the occasional salvage title with pictures of car next to (or in) an auto repair shop.

On this one, the TB was done based on age (not mileage). Sounds like it's been carefully maintained. Dealer did the brakes (F&R?). The big problem for many of us (including me) is the cost of the air shocks. If they've all been replaced that's not going to be a problem for a long time.

Personal preference is Base or ML simply because of fewer repairs and less hassle. However, I've driven a UL and they are very nice cars. I can see why people like them. Good luck
Old 03-14-17, 09:07 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta chime one more time on this. Where I live (near Seattle, Actually Graham, WA) Lexus LS whatever don't seem to sit around. I had my eye on another local LS430 and it was gone before I could get their.

The one I bought might of been a 3 owner but it had impeccable service records and then the dealer I got it from thought enough of it to put a few thousand more into it. And this car was $71544 new!

Ya, I'm a little concerned about the Air struts. I was able to buy a 12,000/12 month warranty that will cover air strut replacement,( I hope.) They say it will and anything electrical, expensive but I think it was worth it. I'm actually surprised they offered it. Plus I get free oil changes for 12,000/12 months.

Your not buying a cheap car but a well built car, a very well built car.

Last edited by Hagar; 03-14-17 at 09:07 PM. Reason: gammar
Old 03-15-17, 09:45 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagar
Gotta chime one more time on this. Where I live (near Seattle, Actually Graham, WA) Lexus LS whatever don't seem to sit around. I had my eye on another local LS430 and it was gone before I could get their.

The one I bought might of been a 3 owner but it had impeccable service records and then the dealer I got it from thought enough of it to put a few thousand more into it. And this car was $71544 new!

Ya, I'm a little concerned about the Air struts. I was able to buy a 12,000/12 month warranty that will cover air strut replacement,( I hope.) They say it will and anything electrical, expensive but I think it was worth it. I'm actually surprised they offered it. Plus I get free oil changes for 12,000/12 months.

Your not buying a cheap car but a well built car, a very well built car.
Not sure multiple owners automatically bad based on experience. I've owned 3 LS's. Car one (2001 Base) was a perfect example of a "bulletproof" Lexus. It had 2 other owners (original owner bad, second great) and probably an accident. I bought at 89k and it ran perfectly. Zero unexpected repairs for the 3.5 years I owned. Car two (2003 base) was a one owner, full dealer service. No PPI because my mechanic hours away. I kept it less than an year. Drivers mirror failed, valve cover gaskets leaked, PS whine, etc. Just a headache. Car three (2004 ML) also one owner, full dealer service. PPI looked good. I like the car but it's been a slow steady list of things to fix. My goal is trouble free for a couple of years (other than regular service). Sure an LS is an older car which means repairs. Have the recent purchase low mileage cars in here needed anything other than regular service?
Old 03-15-17, 09:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagar
And this car was $71544 new!
Why I don't believe in dwelling upon the original msrp is when one looks at 2006 Audi A8's, they were approximately $12-$15k more than LS430s of the same year new, and are currently the same, or even 2k cheaper. Meaning, the price drop from new ie depreciation, is not representative "value" for the buyer.

edit Again, not saying that LS430's are not bulletproof (it's the best part about the car), just that it's always caveat emptor....and you're in the driver's seat as a buyer. Be more aggressive, not less....it's when one is sold on something sight unseen, money is left on the table....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-15-17 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 12:05 PM
Parsonsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the thoughts and feedback. I did end up missing out on that one because I went to look at it and it was in pretty good shape, but the rims were all flaking and there were multiple scratches on the car, and a few other things. Now have found a 2003 UL in St. Pete with 53+K miles in perfect condition for $14.9. Checking it out this week and trying to decide. Also, looking at certified Passat's for about the same price. I know they are different animals but need to juggle all possibilities.
Old 03-20-17, 12:25 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsonsm
Thanks for all of the thoughts and feedback. I did end up missing out on that one because I went to look at it and it was in pretty good shape, but the rims were all flaking and there were multiple scratches on the car, and a few other things. Now have found a 2003 UL in St. Pete with 53+K miles in perfect condition for $14.9. Checking it out this week and trying to decide. Also, looking at certified Passat's for about the same price. I know they are different animals but need to juggle all possibilities.
Not sure if you're aware, but the 2003 and older LS's don't have the 'updated' looks of the tail lights (LED) and headlights. The front and rear of the 430 were nicely refreshed in 2004. If you have any quirks about the 04-06 looking dated, the 2003 and older will look even more aged. Just a FYI if you didn't like the looks of the 03 but couldn't quite figure out why, it's the headlights and tail lights. Then again, YOU won't ever see them while sitting in the driver's seat, lol.
Old 03-20-17, 12:47 PM
Parsonsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on that. I knew it looked a little different from the outside and also know the newer models had the updated transmission. I am not sold on this one yet but is in good shape for the years and mileage. Not sure I ready to buy all the way back to 2003 though.