LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New LS 430 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 12:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

i'm on going to upload a PDF that describes the car and its packages instead of having to explaining all of it..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005LSspecs.pdf (78.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-25-17, 12:39 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
and that's Definitely ECRU leather. I had Ecru in my 2005. Ecru is like almost white, like bone white.. To me White/Ecru is perfect combo.. I don't why I'm so excited, it's not even my car..
haha that's like when I texted my buddy from the dealer, as I was buying the LS430. He said his wife said what are you so excited about, it's not your car!

His reply was...."that is some serious piece of Tahara Aichi steel!" He owned a LS before....I think a 400.....
Old 02-25-17, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJMaverick
I guess I have to ask what was left to put in a 430 ? What's on UL ? Already has just over 11Gs in options.
The undesirable air suspension ($1k per corner for the shock)......also had a fridge that ate into the trunk space, massaging rear seats, reclining (I actually don't believe the car is quite long enough for these to make sense)...controls in the rear armrest, curtains on back windows....heck I may like it if it weren't for the shocks and the high cost of replacement...my next one I'm aiming for a CL. The only disadvantage is the door actuators cost double....
Old 02-25-17, 12:55 PM
CJMaverick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a copy of the window sticker and there's no mention of air ride
Old 02-25-17, 01:42 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The undesirable air suspension ($1k per corner for the shock)......also had a fridge that ate into the trunk space, massaging rear seats, reclining (I actually don't believe the car is quite long enough for these to make sense)...controls in the rear armrest, curtains on back windows....heck I may like it if it weren't for the shocks and the high cost of replacement...my next one I'm aiming for a CL. The only disadvantage is the door actuators cost double....
Metoo. I had an Ultra pkg one and My dream LS would be a White/Ecru or White/Saddle with CL pkg and Sport suspension.
Old 02-25-17, 02:42 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

i'm on going to upload a PDF that describes the car and its packages instead of having to explaining all of it..
can you imagine that for $220, the majority of buyers passed on the sport suspension. Also, did not realize there were two flavors of UL. Seems like CL got pre collision no matter what, UL had a choice. Some of that stuff it would seem would be left off the car as it's another system to repair down the line? Maybe I don't want a CL after all? I just want the laminated side glass!

edit my bad, CL does have it without pre collision. back to wanting a CL WITHOUT pre collision!
Old 02-25-17, 03:44 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow beautiful car! You certainly have a rare car with such low mileage. I vote to keep the rims. Those 5 star wheels are highly sought after OEM wheels. Really give the car an updated sporty look. When I bought my 06 I specifically put those on the car. Enjoy the car! CL model is the best!
Old 02-25-17, 06:19 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

There was a 2005 base with 18950 miles for sale in Texas last week. Wanted $20,200. I seriously considered picking it up, but I wanted at least a ML. CL would be perfect.
Old 02-25-17, 06:59 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
can you imagine that for $220, the majority of buyers passed on the sport suspension. Also, did not realize there were two flavors of UL. Seems like CL got pre collision no matter what, UL had a choice. Some of that stuff it would seem would be left off the car as it's another system to repair down the line? Maybe I don't want a CL after all? I just want the laminated side glass!

edit my bad, CL does have it without pre collision. back to wanting a CL WITHOUT pre collision!
JMO but I can't see why someone that's buying a big expensive luxury sedan would have any interest in the "sports suspension" option. Presumably the goal was the legendary quiet ultra soft comfortable ride. Sports Suspension sounds like a rougher ride. Maybe Lexus should have named it "Optional Suspension Package" or something. That I said I do think the Sports option adds to the car. It's a nice balance of quiet comfort and improved handling
Old 02-25-17, 07:16 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
JMO but I can't see why someone that's buying a big expensive luxury sedan would have any interest in the "sports suspension" option. Presumably the goal was the legendary quiet ultra soft comfortable ride. Sports Suspension sounds like a rougher ride. Maybe Lexus should have named it "Optional Suspension Package" or something. That I said I do think the Sports option adds to the car. It's a nice balance of quiet comfort and improved handling
I driven both Sport and Regular and Sport isn't rough. the car just doesn't lean or roll as much while retaining the LS comfortable ride... Its awesome..
Old 02-25-17, 08:13 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Actually this makes a lot of sense. At the time of the 3rd gen, I heavily followed the BMW 3. The demographics at the time of a 3 buyer, was male, 37 y.o., median income $140k. This was a car that was maybe 40k, if that. I remember when I bought my 335i, the base was $40,600. I was actually ashamed to tell my cousin because that number was embarrassing. Who do you think you are spending that much on a car, when a CR-V was in the mid 19's?

Then look at the LS, a solid 25k more? The avg. age of a buyer had to be in the 60's+. When we see cars today, 11 y.o., with 20, 30, 40, 60k miles, obviously, the owner was not about driving. So it does make sense not to spend $220 on a sport package, for real....
Old 02-26-17, 04:39 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I driven both Sport and Regular and Sport isn't rough. the car just doesn't lean or roll as much while retaining the LS comfortable ride... Its awesome..
It would be worth the small investment for the larger stabilizer bar for the rear if the car doesn't have it already. In normal straight line driving, the 2 cars pretty much feel the same, the difference would be in the turns. As 1Q stated, less body roll.
Old 02-26-17, 06:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
It would be worth the small investment for the larger stabilizer bar for the rear if the car doesn't have it already. In normal straight line driving, the 2 cars pretty much feel the same, the difference would be in the turns. As 1Q stated, less body roll.
There's a curve I take almost every day to get to the bridge, and I always chuckle to myself, this is not a car with inherent handling...but based on everything I've read here, when the time comes, I would get OEM sport shocks to replace the non-sport ones, because not only do they fit, they are cheaper, but I would stop there. Again, $220 was nothing for what you got, but folks buying brand new German cars more often than not bypass sport packages as well, which are usually worth it for the seats alone (mine guaranteed an external oil cooler, in addition to the 255 rear tires, shocks/springs, seats--all for $1400 or something like that)....
Old 02-26-17, 06:35 PM
KO21
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

>The only thing I really do not like is the factory chrome wheels I feel it dates the car a bit.

While the chrome or factory wheels date the 11-13 yo car, aftermarket wheels date the driver.
Old 02-26-17, 06:43 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

I would trade for those wheels any day.... Standard were 16" but ours has the optional 17" 7 spoke chrome variety... (and, they will need to be replaced due to rust build up on the inside bezel).

Lexus uses a very small hub size (60.1 mm) so while there are a lot of nice looking wheels out there, not too many have that size so hub rings are in order. We look forward to your selection and sharing pics when you can.... (and then the competition for your old wheels commences.....)

Quick Reply: New LS 430 2006