LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

smart key

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 09:32 AM
zues
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart key

I just purchased a 2006 LS430 with 24321 miles and the two smart key batteries were dead, so the only way to open the door, start the car is with the key inserted in door lock or ignition. I replaced the batteries and now the unlock, lock, and trunk with the buttons on the remote. I still have to insert the key to start the car. How do I get the smart key to work.
Attached Thumbnails smart key-430.jpg  
Old 02-17-17, 10:36 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I would imagine it has to be trained to the car again. Welcome aboard, Zues. Fantastic looking car and unbelievable mileage on it.
As always, feel free to search for topics, as most things have been discussed.

This thread should help;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8185703
Old 02-17-17, 11:14 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by zues
I just purchased a 2006 LS430 with 24321 miles and the two smart key batteries were dead, so the only way to open the door, start the car is with the key inserted in door lock or ignition. I replaced the batteries and now the unlock, lock, and trunk with the buttons on the remote. I still have to insert the key to start the car. How do I get the smart key to work.
there is a smart key button under the dash above where your right knee would be.push it and try it again.it may be off.
there are three buttons there and the other is the tps reset and the other is the volume control for the warning sounds.
Old 02-18-17, 08:05 AM
zues
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your help. found button works now. is there a way to program car to unlock all doors when shifted into park without going to dealer. the nearest dealer is 200 miles away
Old 02-18-17, 08:58 AM
2KHarrier

The only way is to use a software program called "Techstream". It's what the dealership would use. You can buy it on eBay and usually comes with an interface cable. The program allows you to change a plethora of items on the car. Locks, light timers, A/C functions, etc.. Lots of info on here about the program.
Old 02-28-17, 08:59 AM
asdf0123
Driver School Candidate

Hey I didn't want to open a new thread; however i am having similar issues where i've searched and this thread possibly is the closest to my solution. However i am unsure if a techstream system would necessarily fix it.

1. I've replaced the battery in my remote - i will add that this battery probably has been dead in the remote for a very long time
2. I verified the button under the dash is uncompressed (in the on position for smart key)
3. The light does blink for smart key and alternates
4. Door entrance and all function does not work, i have to literally put the key in the ignition to work
5. if i attempt to start the car without the key in the ignition it registers a "No key detected"
6. I also do have an issue with the driver side door lock time to time locking properly, i do not know if this necessarily correlates to the reason it does not work (i would understand because of the locking portion but everything else regarding the smart feature does not work).
7. i purchased the vehicle with only 1 key 4-5 years ago

I've searched but have not come across anything specifically as close to mine? and with techstream that has been brought up seems to be a possible solutions...Can anyone help?
Old 02-28-17, 09:18 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

0123- first make sure you have a smart key and not a valet key. on my car there are 2 lights that flash, one green and one red when I use my smart key. green light does not flash if I am using my valet key. when I purchased my car it only had a valet key and I had to get a genuine smart key from a dealer
Old 02-28-17, 09:19 AM
zues
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
The only way is to use a software program called "Techstream". It's what the dealership would use. You can buy it on eBay and usually comes with an interface cable. The program allows you to change a plethora of items on the car. Locks, light timers, A/C functions, etc.. Lots of info on here about the program.

I looked on ebay,but it seems like there is a lot of different Techstream programs. Anybody purchase one and if so which one
Old 02-28-17, 09:51 AM
asdf0123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
0123- first make sure you have a smart key and not a valet key. on my car there are 2 lights that flash, one green and one red when I use my smart key. green light does not flash if I am using my valet key. when I purchased my car it only had a valet key and I had to get a genuine smart key from a dealer
Sorry i just looked it up online.. correct me if im wrong but i believe you're correct. Is the valet key look very similar to a standard smart key fob? If that is the case how do i order a master key? besides spending an arm and a leg with lexus..
Old 02-28-17, 10:52 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

looks the same but doesnt have a trunk button
check local locksmith places and price a replacement key,i saved over a $100 from dealer prices.
Old 02-28-17, 12:01 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

it can be quite difficult to get a smart key if you don't already have one. most locksmiths will not be able to program a smart key and will give up claiming you will need to replace the ecu or other nonsense. my lexus dealer took 3 hours to program my smart key. I paid $195 for the key and $110 for the programing. ouch. however it was worth it as smart key function really makes these cars better. good luck
Old 02-28-17, 01:18 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you confirm the smart-key is not disabled with the little button down by the gas pedal?

Edit: missed the part of the post you already checked this. Buying techstream and programming the keys yourself is the most cost effective solution. The drivers side door lock is most likely not related. Probably the actuator failing

Name:  DSC00157Small.jpg
Views: 5200
Size:  25.2 KB

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 02-28-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 07:51 AM
asdf0123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
looks the same but doesnt have a trunk button
check local locksmith places and price a replacement key,i saved over a $100 from dealer prices.
ok so i do believe now that it is a valet fob...i've looked online for one..wonder if that would sufficient? I live in a small town..so i dont know if that's even possible.

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
it can be quite difficult to get a smart key if you don't already have one. most locksmiths will not be able to program a smart key and will give up claiming you will need to replace the ecu or other nonsense. my lexus dealer took 3 hours to program my smart key. I paid $195 for the key and $110 for the programing. ouch. however it was worth it as smart key function really makes these cars better. good luck
i do want to have the smart function...but man im scared of all that.. i didnt really want to take it to my dealership..just because they are notorious for scamming

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Did you confirm the smart-key is not disabled with the little button down by the gas pedal?

Edit: missed the part of the post you already checked this. Buying techstream and programming the keys yourself is the most cost effective solution. The drivers side door lock is most likely not related. Probably the actuator failing

​​​​​​​Have you personally operated a techsystem? I have not done anything like that before and to be frank afraid i'd mess something up.. might look into doing that..assuming that'll be cheaper than having the dealership program it if i had to go that route? I do have a spare key i bought a few years back but i do not remember if it's also a valet or not..
Old 03-01-17, 09:07 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by zues
I looked on ebay,but it seems like there is a lot of different Techstream programs. Anybody purchase one and if so which one
I can't remember which one I bought on eBay, but if you buy one from a reputable seller you should be OK. I think mine actually came from China!. It has worked fine for me the whole time I've had to use it. Very easy to use as well. Just plug it into the car's OBD port and once it's connected there's a menu that you can select boxes or change parameters for various systems. Again, lots of threads on here about using techstream
Old 03-01-17, 09:53 AM
asdf0123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I can't remember which one I bought on eBay, but if you buy one from a reputable seller you should be OK. I think mine actually came from China!. It has worked fine for me the whole time I've had to use it. Very easy to use as well. Just plug it into the car's OBD port and once it's connected there's a menu that you can select boxes or change parameters for various systems. Again, lots of threads on here about using techstream
I guess my only other question i could have would be if i am able to program this with a valet key vs a master key?

Quick Reply: smart key