LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

It Pays To Check Your Service History In Detail

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 09:03 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Actually I don't think that's it, for real. BMW has free maintenance for 4 yrs, along with the b2b. With leasing being > 50%, there's a majority who really doesn't care about anything, they just pay a big fat monthly payment and do whatever the dealership tells them. I did hear that BMW has or will eliminate brakes from the free maintenance (WTH?), that's huge because it tends to run $800 per axle, and maybe low $2k's per axle on M cars. I think it goes along the thinking that everything is 100% locked down, and you open it up as needed, not the other way around.

I can just imagine, someone posts, "I'm ready to buy this sweet 430 that I found." Then another person pulls the history and says, "Hey, the fuel pump got replaced at 30k cuz it had problems starting, and see where it says APPLY COUPON ON SERVICE, the owner used a coupon and he's probably a cheap ******* and even got a loaner. Do you really want that car?" "Thanks man, I just told the seller I dont' want it." Just too loosey goosey with too much information ***** nilly if you ask me lol
This is an example of a scenario that makes me LIKE the Lexus policy. More information available to buyers and sellers is better than less information. And as others have said, their opening of service records does not identify the owner.
Old 01-02-17, 07:49 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Actually I don't think that's it, for real. BMW has free maintenance for 4 yrs, along with the b2b. With leasing being > 50%, there's a majority who really doesn't care about anything, they just pay a big fat monthly payment and do whatever the dealership tells them. I did hear that BMW has or will eliminate brakes from the free maintenance (WTH?), that's huge because it tends to run $800 per axle, and maybe low $2k's per axle on M cars. I think it goes along the thinking that everything is 100% locked down, and you open it up as needed, not the other way around.

I can just imagine, someone posts, "I'm ready to buy this sweet 430 that I found." Then another person pulls the history and says, "Hey, the fuel pump got replaced at 30k cuz it had problems starting, and see where it says APPLY COUPON ON SERVICE, the owner used a coupon and he's probably a cheap ******* and even got a loaner. Do you really want that car?" "Thanks man, I just told the seller I dont' want it." Just too loosey goosey with too much information ***** nilly if you ask me lol
Are you debating for or against the Lexus service history policy? Example you just provided is analogous to a for sort of debate position, not against.You seem to be afraid that "selling" your car becomes tougher if you do not maintain your currently owned car well. BMW is very simply put - a worthless car company that does make a driver's car but cannot for the life of themselves figure out how to continue to make them reliable. Their dealerships put out quite a large amount of horror stories of customer complaints, their ability to honor warranty programs is shaky, they try extremely hard not to recall some known BIG issues with their cars. And no top of all this - even their own CPO cars cannot publicly display the service history. Therefore - I rest my case.
Old 01-02-17, 08:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
BMW is very simply put - a worthless car company....Therefore - I rest my case.
Hard to reason with that. And justice for all.