Hello Lexus Community, Introduction, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 02:19 PM
aschuetz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello Lexus Community, Introduction, Questions

Hello my soon-to-be car enthusiast friends,

My name is Austin, (might as well get to know each other on a first name basis) and I am new to Club Lexus. A short bio about myself: I'm a car enthusiast, I'm chill, and I like to talk about vehicles that I enjoy with other like-minded individuals. Now enough about me, and right to the good stuff! I am very fortunate to have a 2006 Lexus LS430 UL come into my possession. It was my late girlfriend fathers vehicle that she had no interest in driving, and offered it to me! She is incredible and I am the luckiest guy in the world to have her, and my girlfriend too! Quick side story, I remember the first time I went for a drive in this LS430, which was the first LS430 I have ever driven in. It was 2015, (for those counting the car was already 9 years old) and holy cow what a ride. We went for a ride up I95 from Washington, DC to New York City. The only thing I can equate it to is my grandparents vehicles. They used to have two, his and her matching Cadillac Devilles. I always lusted after those cars, because of their wonderful ride quality, interior craftsmanship, and fond memories. (I'll get to to LS430 soon enough, but spoiler, that's how I feel about the LS too) I am in the automotive industry, and the Lexus stands out in my mind even surrounded by plenty of other vehicles that I ride around in daily. As a testament to the Lexus, the vehicles I drive daily are brand new, and at the end of the day I would rather sit in the Lexus than any of the other options.

I know there are many forums out there dedicated to some of this, many of which I have read through in detail, but I am looking for active members feedback. I currently have the vehicle at a Lexus dealership and am having some mechanical work done. First job being done is the left rear air suspension. It's beyond repair and needs to be replaced. I am not looking for a discussion about air suspension vs conventional. I love the way this vehicle rides, and want the air suspension even if it costs more to maintain. I'm not trying to be a car snob, I just like the air suspension. Other item I am having done there is the exhaust system. Not the biggest problems to replace given the overall vehicle is in great shape. Yes I know having that work done at a dealer is not cheap. Given that the vehicle is what it is, I have no problem getting some of the work done at a dealer. For reference, I do not have an unlimited budget, but my mindset with vehicles has always been to pay to have the work done right.

A little detail about how the vehicle will be used. I will likely be changing career paths in the next few months, and will be using the LS430 as a daily commuter, currently I have a company car. I live out in the country and will have it on back roads as well as highway driving. I will likely not use the LS430 in city, but I don't have any issues driving it in the city when I go there. I have a BMW M3 that I drive on the weekends or when I have a need for speed. I am trying to keep the LS430 true to form, to capitalize on the benefits this car offers, chiefly a high quality ride.

So finally, here is what I would like all of your feedback on. On the list of work that needs to be done sooner rather than later is break pads, rotors, and tires. Working in the automotive industry, and I have a close relationship with a shop that I trust to do the remaining work. I have spoken with them, but would also like your feedback as well. First up, break pads and rotors. I have read through many forms, and think going with OEM breaks sounds pretty good, even if it is a little more expensive. On the other hand, if any of you can share your experiences about aftermarket break pads and rotors, and what you would and would not recommend, I would greatly appreciate it! I know weather conditions have an effect, as well as break pedal feel, and stopping distance. As I said earlier, I'm looking to keep the car true to form, riding the way it was designed to. Second is tires. I am looking to have a tire that compliments the ride, and gives it a real "riding on glass" feel. If you would just let me know what type of tire is on your LS430 as well as the benefits and critiques, that would be great.

I am really looking forward to all of the feedback you provide, getting this beauty cleaned up and out on the road for the next stage in of her life, and hopefully to meet up with some of you fine folk! If you would like to post any links to threads, please feel free! Once I have get the vehicle back I'll be sure to get it cleaned up and get some photo's posted! Thank you for listening and hope you enjoy the drive!
Old 11-05-16, 03:07 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Austin, welcome to the forum. I've only been here for a couple of weeks myself as I picked up a 2004 ML LS430 out of the blue and discovered this placed looking for some repair information. I like the vibe of this place and there really is a lot of good information here.

As far as I'm concerned, you got the car for nothing so putting in some money into it and maintaining it properly is your duty now.

You said 2006, but didn't mention the mileage. How much?

I'm not familiar enough with the 2006. Do you have 17" or 18" tires?

You can never go wrong with using the OEM parts for the brake system but I've had good luck using Centric premium rotors (some use their drilled or slotted rotors) and Akebono pads on some of my cars. They can be found at Rockauto's website.

If I'm looking for a specific topic I like to search using Google. For instance, I was looking for some information on changing my coolant in my car so I entered the following text into the Google search bar: coolant change LS430 site: www.clublexus.com

Obviously, just change the text to what ever you're looking for but follow it with the site: www.clublexus.com and you will find lots of good information...
Old 11-05-16, 04:13 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

congrats! What a car your girlfriend handed over to you! Doesn't get much better than an 06 UL. As far as Brake pads and rotors, I replaced mine by myself using all OEM Toyota parts on my 2006 and was very happy. I did my 01 LS430 with after market pads from the local advanced auto and i did notice significantly more pad dust. Not sure if that was the particular aftermarket pads or if all aftermarket produce more dust than OEM pads. Also, as far as tires, I had michelin Primacy's on my 06 and they were great. The model is MXV4. Not sure if they still make them. Got them at Costco and they were super quiet. They are recommended on this forum quite a bit. I have since traded in my 06 for an LS460L and it has Bridgestone tires on it which are also super quiet but I do feel the michelins were better.

Good luck with the car. After owing two 430's and now a 460L I really do miss the 430 sometimes they are great cars!
Old 11-05-16, 04:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Welcome! I'm 5 weeks in myself with an '06 ML.....

i requested oem front rotors and pads as a condition of sale....note there are 2 caliper bolts per caliper, and a sensor for fronts. If you're paying the Oem is $78 and everyone here says not necessary, aftermarket <$10?

what's the mileage on your '06, and what yr is the M3? I have a '07 335i coupe, they drive alike in no ways btw!
Old 11-05-16, 09:48 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Pictures or it didn't happen lol anyways honest opinion there is no sense in letting the dealer do your exhaust system. You could get more for less elsewhere. Brake pads, inspect rotors for resurfacing once or replace, rotate tires and alignment replace tires if necessary. Before all that though make sure all your fluids are on point. Run the vin through the service history to see what if anything probably everything that was done at Lexus already. Plan ahead after that and get the next stuff ready. I got a pair of oem front lower bushings shortly after picking up my LS. Today I needed them and swapped out the old. The dealer said $280 for the parts and I paid $110 for both. Just had them sitting in the garage. Congrats on the car hope you take care of both them girls.
Old 11-06-16, 04:01 PM
aschuetz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Thank you for the recommendations for pads and breaks. I am thinking of just spending the few extra dollars and going OEM. I will spend a little more time and do some further research for tires, but the Michelin Primacy's are on the short list right now. They are highly recommended on these forums. I can't believe I didn't mention mileage. Car has 158,xxx on the odometer. I know that my girlfriends father was the second owner to the car, bought it from the dealer who took it back from the original lease. Purchased at Lexus of Annapolis, and I know the he did have quite a few services performed there. I am going to call next week and get all the records that they had on file, because I have looked and haven't found many in his paperwork stacks. The mileage does seem a little higher than what I am seeing for other LS430's on the open market, but that doesn't bother me much. I know that he did take care of it, as he was an enthusiast himself. Plus I've always subscribed to the theory that cars that are driven regularly and serviced regularly properly, tend to have few problems as they age. I was thinking about changing out most of the fluids in the vehicle as the LS430 has sat for a about one year without regular driving or start-ups. As far as the M3, its a '98 E36 Estoril Blue, Titan grey interior. 5-speed manual. This one is my baby. I've always been an M fan, and bought one as soon as I could after getting out of school. Have done quite a bit of work to it. Just ticked 180k on the odometer. Like I said, I will post some photos of the LS430 once I get it back from the dealer and cleaned up. For now, here are a few of the M3. Once again, thanks guys for the help. Really excited to get the LS out on the open road where she belongs!

Old 11-06-16, 05:47 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Nice M3, but not really the kind of eye candy we're lookin for...

Hope to see the LS soon. You'll enjoy it!
Old 11-06-16, 07:23 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

if you haven't already or don't know about it, sign in to the lexus drivers site and put in your vin #. all dealer services from day one should show up and any manually put in by any owners as well. You should find a lot on the car if it was dealer serviced.
Old 11-07-16, 06:31 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Here you go.. Create an account and add the VIN # to your profile....

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 11-07-16, 06:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It's a nice site and they will send free manuals too. I think it also drives Lexus' database when you call the 800# (then again, what's to stop someone from registering someone else's car to themselves, or, when buying a used car?) I noticed that when I got my state inspection done at Toyota, it also hit the site immediately.

My cousin had that M3 as did my aunt (she had a Lightweight and imho foolishly sold it, she got it 2 yrs. old brand new, no radio, no sunroof, no a/c, huge a** wing on the trunk, it drove her nuts). My cousin ditched it at 240k, not bad for a BMW. When I drove it in 1997, I said to myself, shoot, I'll never be able to get a BMW. Was too young to realize, never, say never! Sweet ride.