LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Noob_Debating on picking up a 2002 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 09:16 AM
FLipRaY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob_Debating on picking up a 2002 LS430

New guy here, since I have to get atleast 30 posts, figured this would be a good way to get started. I recently started looking for a car to start a VIP build on. I found a 2002 LS430 with the UL package with 88K on it for about $9.5k. I've been reading up on these cars and seems like the common gripe are the blown air rides. Kicker is, a few other non-air ride versions cost about as much. Figured if I blow the shocks, I'll just go coilovers. Any guidance?
Old 09-11-16, 10:32 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

First of all, welcome to the club Flip;
Coil-over shocks are an option when the air ride suspension fails, as it 's a fairly expensive system to repair. Neither of my LS's have air ride, so I can't give you direct experience, however there are a number of threads on the forum that discuss the suspension components and replacing them in great detail.
Old 09-11-16, 10:57 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Based on the conversations in here, budget approx $1k/wheel for air shock replacement. Definitely a personal choice. Some people love them. Some hate them. Personally I bought an '01 Base to keep the headaches and repair costs low. Don't fold the mirrors, disabled the steering wheel tilt/telescope, etc. Zero repair problems for 3 years. Just bought an '04 ML. Nice car but have to deal w/ current stereo issues (blown sub woofer, marginal quality, etc) and probably a full replace at some point. Likewise the NAV unit at some point. The UL is a very cool ride but plan for expensive repairs.
Old 09-11-16, 12:03 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Based on the conversations in here, budget approx $1k/wheel for air shock replacement. Definitely a personal choice. Some people love them. Some hate them. Personally I bought an '01 Base to keep the headaches and repair costs low. Don't fold the mirrors, disabled the steering wheel tilt/telescope, etc. Zero repair problems for 3 years. Just bought an '04 ML. Nice car but have to deal w/ current stereo issues (blown sub woofer, marginal quality, etc) and probably a full replace at some point. Likewise the NAV unit at some point. The UL is a very cool ride but plan for expensive repairs.
I too went for an 01 Base to avoid high expenses on now what is becoming an ancient car. I searched for Nav as a must. No major issues after 6 years but these cars can become exorbitantly expensive to maintain when they are equipped with too many extras and toys. I'm sure that in years to come, the very high end LS430s that have been abused and neglected will start becoming abandoned or junked due to high costs. The same route that very old BMW 7 series have gone.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-11-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 07:06 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

They will never be in the same abandoned class as the 7 series. Pretty easy to run these 250 k like a Camry. 7 series of these years reliability about as poor as it gets
Old 09-11-16, 09:06 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

The 7 series is a nice drive. However remember to carry a credit card (w/ high limit) at all times. Also have a backup car (ideally an LS) for when the shop needs the beemer for a week or two.
Old 09-11-16, 09:38 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I also went base 430 to stay away from repair problems as much as possible. The ABS system and park sensors are the biggest potential problems in my car. I personally would not touch even the mid-grade cars with Navigation and ML Audio since it is anything but cheap to repair and as someone already pointed out; it is outdated these days plus phones do the navigating for you now. Well, okay if I found some sub 40K miles example for a steal of a price I would buy it. There was a 75K miles black on black 05 UL for sale in my area for $14K when I was in the market in June. One owner and all dealer serviced. They had already replaced 2 of the shocks under warranty and the customer constantly took it back for suspension issues. It's fine if that is a weekend car to cruise around in but it sounds like a nightmare if that is a daily driver.

If your VIP will be a weekend toy then UL should not be a problem but be prepared to fix the suspension at any given point
Old 09-12-16, 10:00 AM
MR ED
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked up a 02 UL because I like all the extra features and I am planning on switching to coilovers in a few months or if the air suspension gives out so that wasn't too much of a worry for me. If you're ok with the idea of switching to coilovers or steel spring suspension I wouldn't worry about the air suspension too much.
Old 09-12-16, 01:47 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Tex - Have the '01 and wanted to upgrade to 04-06. I'd planned to look for another base but there aren't that many. Sometimes the right deal comes along.

This almost perfect '04 ML showed up at a local dealer. 102k, one owner, full dealer service from day one. Cypress Pearl. Leather upgrade. What made it work is that lots of the usual problems were fixed (Levinson amp at 95, both mirrors, driver's side door lock actuator, lower castor arm bushings, etc). The ML stereo system does works ok but sounds worn (the usual sub woofer problem). I'll do a full aftermarket at some point and get way better quality (est $1,500). Parking sensors are great. 100% worth the replace cost. Seems like the NAV is the worst potential problem. If it blows, hopefully just the display. It's the only "must do" repair to keep the car drivable. Am doing the usual no fold on the mirror, disable the tilt/telescope.

Definitely a nicer car ( especially the 6 speed and sports suspension). Lots of the usual problems fixed. I may have to do some repairs. It pencilled out.
Old 09-12-16, 02:23 PM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLipRaY
New guy here, since I have to get atleast 30 posts, figured this would be a good way to get started. I recently started looking for a car to start a VIP build on. I found a 2002 LS430 with the UL package with 88K on it for about $9.5k. I've been reading up on these cars and seems like the common gripe are the blown air rides. Kicker is, a few other non-air ride versions cost about as much. Figured if I blow the shocks, I'll just go coilovers. Any guidance?
I just replaced my Air ride with BC Racing adjustable coilovers and LOVE them,,, they were relatively easy to install after reading the posts in here. I terminated the air hoses with enough length so that if some crazy person buys it from me and want to go back to it (I popped the compressor fuse). The ride is great and they handle 5 people in the car with a packed trunk without bottoming out or rubbing...

The adjustability of the coilovers is my fav thing,,, I can adjust all 4 corners by myself in about 30 minutes with minute increments....

I just have to figure out the headlight leveling to get rid of the warning light, but I think thats going to be do-able,,,

Sounds like we have the same car because I am on to replacing the ML crackler next.... I love this car as it gets more and more customized (I was not the biggest fan of it in full blown "Rich White Guy" shape that they come in),,,, actually I remember when Dad bought this car it was pretty bad ***, but 165K later when I got it I needed to make it a little more "Gangsta"...
Old 09-12-16, 03:28 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Calicraig2 - your ride sounds great and is starting to look pretty good! Look forward to hearing about the new sound system. My ML is worn out. Plan to replace the whole system soon. Single (or Double) DIN w/ factory wiring connect looks easy. After that.........it's rocket science.
Old 09-12-16, 04:36 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Tex - Have the '01 and wanted to upgrade to 04-06. I'd planned to look for another base but there aren't that many. Sometimes the right deal comes along.

This almost perfect '04 ML showed up at a local dealer. 102k, one owner, full dealer service from day one. Cypress Pearl. Leather upgrade. What made it work is that lots of the usual problems were fixed (Levinson amp at 95, both mirrors, driver's side door lock actuator, lower castor arm bushings, etc). The ML stereo system does works ok but sounds worn (the usual sub woofer problem). I'll do a full aftermarket at some point and get way better quality (est $1,500). Parking sensors are great. 100% worth the replace cost. Seems like the NAV is the worst potential problem. If it blows, hopefully just the display. It's the only "must do" repair to keep the car drivable. Am doing the usual no fold on the mirror, disable the tilt/telescope.

Definitely a nicer car ( especially the 6 speed and sports suspension). Lots of the usual problems fixed. I may have to do some repairs. It pencilled out.
Hate to burst your bubble man but a sound system install is gonna be a lot more than $1500. From what i have read the ml amp is wired into the nav so your best bet is to leave the amp hooked up just splice into the speaker wires and run to a new 4-5,6 channel amp and do it that way, i am trying to figure it out right now also the beat sonic kit is a must unless you want to take your stock radio apart and put the motherboard inside your dashboard so your nav screen will still work.

By installing another 4-6 channel amplifier it opens up your speaker choice a lot more than just a mark Levinson amp and speakers.
Old 09-12-16, 06:50 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

The sound system replace cost was a guess. Looking forward to seeing how other people deal with this and what it costs. Single (or double) DIN w/ plug and play wiring is a place to start. Does that fit ok w/ the NAV?

We had a ML audio in our 97 ES300. It sounded great. Another option is to repair the existing speakers (re-cone and re-foam). Dealer replaced the ML amp 5k miles ago.
Old 09-13-16, 01:52 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

The sound system replace cost was a guess. Looking forward to seeing how other people deal with this and what it costs. Single (or double) DIN w/ plug and play wiring is a place to start. Does that fit ok w/ the NAV?

We had a ML audio in our 97 ES300. It sounded great. Another option is to repair the existing speakers (re-cone and re-foam). Dealer replaced the ML amp 5k miles ago.
The only real plug and play is the beat sonic kit. IIf you cheap out and get tje meter harness you have to take apart your stock radio and leave it plugged in and put the motherboard in the dash to still have your nav screen function.

To do just the radio with you doing the work you are looking at $350-$480 for the beat sonic kit $180-$1500 for a new head unit. So on average with you doing all the work your gonna spend $650 if you have a shop do it, it will be much more.

Recap just replacing the radio is on average $650 you could even get it down to $300 if you bought the Metra harness took the motherboard out of your radio put it in the dash bought a semi ok head unit also got a dash kit as well.

Now installing aftermarket speakers as well as a new amp is gonna be $1000-$3000 with you doing the work yourself and buying half decent speakers as well as all the wiring. I used to install sound/video systems in cars and boats so any questions feel free to ask . Also please research a shop before you take something there ask questions have them give you your old parts as well as the boxes for the new stuff just to make sure you dont get ripped off that goes for any part of the car.