LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 06:21 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension

Can anyone else hear the compressor in the car? Also, does anyone else's run at times other than after first start of the day or after getting off the interstate? I've noticed mine running sporadically at times other than the two I mentioned. Will I get any warning if I'm headed for suspension failure or issue? Also, do the air bags in the struts simply absorb the bumps and there are also springs? Or... If the system fails will the car be grounded like those Lincolns you see from time to time sitting on the frame from air suspension failure- it's worried me sick as its my only vehicle and I'm stretched to the penny on budget- I'm sure there's talk about this somewhere but I've searched and don't see it, also I'm learning this garage talk app- my apologies if the info I seek is redundant.
2001 Ls430 UL
Old 08-02-16, 07:10 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The air bags on air struts act like springs in standard struts. Do you think it's safe to drive a car without springs? If the air bag blows, especially the front one, your car is grounded. Yeah, you can still drive the car but not without significant damage to the vehicle. I converted mine to struts/springs and now 100% worry-free and never looked back.

Last edited by hyperopt; 08-02-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 09:08 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't get overly worried. A lot of people aren't even aware that their air shocks are starting to fail. The dealer will tell you when there is an oil leak streaking down the shock. The air shocks are not large air bags like the older Lincoln/Cadillacs. I don't think you're going to be riding on the frame. I've had my air shocks replaced and the only problem was the cost.
Old 08-03-16, 06:09 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Jayclapp - can I inspect the shock in my driveway for this oil on the shock you speak of? Other than my air pump running intermittently at times it didn't used too I've noticed nothing else. If they fail how will the car remain up off the ground
Old 08-03-16, 06:57 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI:
1. The airbag that blew on mine did show any oil leakage and the bag that had small oil leak rode just fine. The source of the oil leak is from the strut and not the airbag, but since the airbag encloses the strut seals, oil leakage is visible when there is also an airbag leakage.
2. Turning the wheel and moving the car a few yards onto my driveway was enough for the wheel/tire with the blown airbag to rub the fender and nearly ripped of the fender trim off. Can't imagine what would happen if had to drive the car down the road at high speed for an extended distance.
Old 08-03-16, 08:00 PM
ToneyCross
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so what's the average cost to convert to springs?
Old 09-02-16, 12:13 PM
JBedell
Driver School Candidate

ok, so I've seen lots of posts about the air bags on the GX, either leaking problems, sensor problems, leveling problems... I replaced an air bag about 8 months ago as it leaked so badly it was riding on the bottom. I was warned the other side could go out soon but thought it's not gonna cost any more or less to fix it on that side if it does, so I left it alone. System has been working flawlessly since. Until this week, the system isn't working at all. No pump, no air, no leak, its as if its not turning on. Anyone suggest something I can do to reset or test what the problem is? No dash lights providing error codes. It's riding on the bump stops so it really can't be driven right now. I've checked all connections including fuse and relay...nothing found.
Old 09-02-16, 04:42 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
Ok, so what's the average cost to convert to springs?
I havent done it myself but ive costed it out. Id estimate between 2-3k at least depending on what you replace it with.

Im waiting for the air susp to die so I can put it on megan coilovers, so far 150k with zero issues. damn thing might run forever who knows.
Old 09-02-16, 04:51 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneyCross
Can anyone else hear the compressor in the car? Also, does anyone else's run at times other than after first start of the day or after getting off the interstate? I've noticed mine running sporadically at times other than the two I mentioned. Will I get any warning if I'm headed for suspension failure or issue? Also, do the air bags in the struts simply absorb the bumps and there are also springs? Or... If the system fails will the car be grounded like those Lincolns you see from time to time sitting on the frame from air suspension failure- it's worried me sick as its my only vehicle and I'm stretched to the penny on budget- I'm sure there's talk about this somewhere but I've searched and don't see it, also I'm learning this garage talk app- my apologies if the info I seek is redundant.
2001 Ls430 UL
For a budget stretched to the penny, you sure seemed to like overspending when none was required.

Originally Posted by JBedell
ok, so I've seen lots of posts about the air bags on the GX, either leaking problems, sensor problems, leveling problems... I replaced an air bag about 8 months ago as it leaked so badly it was riding on the bottom. I was warned the other side could go out soon but thought it's not gonna cost any more or less to fix it on that side if it does, so I left it alone. System has been working flawlessly since. Until this week, the system isn't working at all. No pump, no air, no leak, its as if its not turning on. Anyone suggest something I can do to reset or test what the problem is? No dash lights providing error codes. It's riding on the bump stops so it really can't be driven right now. I've checked all connections including fuse and relay...nothing found.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-2-840-a.html