LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Llumar Air Blue 80 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 05:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Are you allowed to have tint on car windows in the People's Republic of Kalifornia?
Old 06-04-16, 08:26 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran dark tint on my previous car for years without problems
Old 06-04-16, 09:27 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tkblazer
same here... always did limo tint in the rear lil lighter upfront but dyed films. The benefit with ceramic is you get better protection and still have heat reduction without having to go dark... it could be a clear ceramic and you will feel the difference.

Glad to know this thread is helping others make the decision... it's a nice change from the blackout
Old 06-04-16, 09:32 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tkblazer
same here... always did limo tint in the rear lil lighter upfront but dyed films. The benefit with ceramic is you get better protection and still have heat reduction without having to go dark... it could be a clear ceramic and you will feel the difference.

Glad to know this thread is helping others make the decision... it's a nice change from the blackout. Don't need to open my sunroof shade to make it look lighter or roll my front windows down when I spot them first. More than anything it adds to the class badge imo. It stands out enough to make folks look longer but not enough time to figure out why. Subtle changes...
Old 06-05-16, 04:25 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, I use to have dark limo-tint as well on my previous car. Grew tired of that drug-dealer look. This light tint just looks classy to me and I prefer having the same level of tint all around, as opposed to dark rears and light fronts.

I'm actually thinking about getting my windshield tinted as well, although I haven't decided on that. Still have time before my appointment.
Old 06-13-16, 11:48 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Got it done. Love it. Very subtle, which is precisely what I wanted. I love how the blue becomes more or less apparent depending on the angle and light.

Thanks! Wouldn't have done had I not seen your car.

Old 06-13-16, 08:20 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Got it done. Love it. Very subtle, which is precisely what I wanted. I love how the blue becomes more or less apparent depending on the angle and light.

Thanks! Wouldn't have done had I not seen your car.

Very cool glad I inspired this ^_^ it looks great and I also like how the color is either more or less depending on the angle and sunlight/clouds.
Old 06-13-16, 10:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Just ask you primary doctor or optometrist or ophthalmologist or dermatologist or? to write you a note on his/her official letter head stating due to medical reasons you need dark tints on your car windows (including windshield) AND/OR the CARS you either drive or ride in. Due to HIPPA regulations, it is NOBODY else's business why you require dark tinted windows, except for obvious medical reasons, ☺. Therefore the note does not have to state your medical condition. Although I would not get too dark for the windshield. I'm ok for the windshield with one of the light ceramic films or the 3M Crystalline light film.

So make copies of the above and keep it in the car. If your wife or significant other drives that car, you still have documentation as to why the dark tints.

Usually the LEOS don't make a big deal about it. I just roll all my windows down and turn my interior lights on and keep my both hands on the steering wheel at all times, especially at night if and when I get stopped by LEOS. This puts the LEOS at ease.

Originally Posted by BradTank
Are you allowed to have tint on car windows in the People's Republic of Kalifornia?
The following users liked this post:
Aeon (04-10-19)
Old 06-18-16, 11:36 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great!

However, I would think twice about tinting your windshield. I had the LLUMAR Air Blue on my windshield last summer. A small rock chip turned into a crack in one afternoon because of the tint. Apparently, the tint changes the way that the windshield dissipates heat. I was told this by the company that installed the new Lexus OEM glass ( not Safelite!). Also, you cannot get a chip repair done because it requires heating the glass from the inside. I am not a winshield expert nor am I trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am simply sharing a personal experience with my fellow forum members.
Old 06-19-16, 04:02 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I decided against doing the windshield. I was going to, but after researching it a bit more, I changed my mind.
Old 06-19-16, 04:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I decided against doing the windshield. I was going to, but after researching it a bit more, I changed my mind.

I had my windshield tinted with a light film that was made for that purpose (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and I absolutely hated it.

If the sun hit it at certain angles it just had a "clouded" look to it. It did knock the heat down though.

I've heard good things about Llumar for the windshield, but not sure I'll ever do it again. It's really tiring to the eyes to not have a perfectly clear windshield to look through.
Old 06-19-16, 05:33 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lev00221
Looks great!

However, I would think twice about tinting your windshield. I had the LLUMAR Air Blue on my windshield last summer. A small rock chip turned into a crack in one afternoon because of the tint. Apparently, the tint changes the way that the windshield dissipates heat. I was told this by the company that installed the new Lexus OEM glass ( not Safelite!). Also, you cannot get a chip repair done because it requires heating the glass from the inside. I am not a winshield expert nor am I trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am simply sharing a personal experience with my fellow forum members.

Makes perfect sense to me... I haven't done it yet but really wanted too. This is a good enough reason to rethink the windshield. I have a $50 deductible but if a chip turns into a spread each time and then re-tint it will almost come to the original cost of all the other windows... if it happens twice then it exceeds it.

When I was researching the only thing I was worried about was some mentioning a night glare. Reached out to Daniel here who had it on his GS and said he didn't have that issue.
Old 06-20-16, 10:19 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the tint bro I'm deciding if i wanna go that route or go with the 70? I do want a slightly darker color.
Old 06-20-16, 02:44 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
I had my windshield tinted with a light film that was made for that purpose (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and I absolutely hated it.

If the sun hit it at certain angles it just had a "clouded" look to it. It did knock the heat down though.

I've heard good things about Llumar for the windshield, but not sure I'll ever do it again. It's really tiring to the eyes to not have a perfectly clear windshield to look through.
This is exactly why I chose not to tint the windshield. Just reading about the headlight glare and other issues similar to yours that made me decide against it.
Old 06-20-16, 04:52 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Excellent tint indeed. I had Huper Optik on my Infiniti M45 years ago and ceramic tint is simply the truth.

Quick Reply: Llumar Air Blue 80 today