LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Suspension stays raised position

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:22 AM
Onno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension stays raised position

Hello Everyone. I drive a 2001 LS430. I have been using the sport/normal switch. What has happened was that the rear end of the car got higher and higher. When driving it was super bouncy.

Brought it to my mechanic. He cleared a fault but said he did not do anything related to the issue. What his thought it was, was that a bad ground caused the system to think that the car needed to be inflated and so it did that to the max.

It is now normal again and I will not touch that button again for anything, however still curious if anybody has had the same issue and knows what the solution is to avoid it from happening again.

Thanks, Onno
Old 04-22-16, 12:52 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the same issue, where my '06 UL did the same thing basically.

I remember taking the negative cable off of the battery for the night, and it returned back to normal position in the morning. I'm sure it happens very rarely, therefore no need to worry about it.

Now the question of, what exactly happened to have caused it to do that, I have no idea what the reason could be. Maybe a description of the fault that your mechanic cleared would steer towards where the fault happened.

But gain, this happened to me once, over owning the car for about 2 years at that time.
Old 04-24-16, 09:06 AM
Onno
Driver School Candidate

Hi King

Will do that tonight and see what happens. I appreciate your input.

Kindly

Onno
Old 06-21-16, 09:58 AM
Onno
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Levelling Sensor Issue resolved

The height is 2.5 cm up from the bottom of the slider. Can be higher up but not much more.

After resetting my battery worked once, the solution did not work anymore. After looking around on the internet I took my 2001 LS430 to a Canadian Lexus dealer to find out the correct issue and solution and possibly repair.

The passenger rear auto levelling sensor what broken. Their estimate for repair $1045 including part, labor and taxes. Part price $785 labour $140 and 13%j taxes. This prompted me to look around. Lexus Detroit $550 including labor, however they could not guarantee that they would receive the part when I was there. Next step look on the internet for location of the part on the car and solution. Found the location and the part. Took a picture and went on Ebay. Found the correct part for $237.50 plus tax plus currency correction $315.

Marked the location of the original part with a white wax pencil. Disconnected the negative on the battery. Removed the old original part gently and carefully not to break anything with a 10mm wrench. Installed the new part in 30 minutes by reconnecting it to the plug and at the same location as marked (approx. 2.5 cm above opening in slider. Reconnected the negative to the battery. Started the car. Waited 3 minutes. Then got in and drove away on the magic carpet as before.

My installation price $315 in 1/2 hour. Lexus $1045 incl 1 hour. I had never done this although I have SOME mechanical inclination and SOME common sense to help me out.
Old 06-21-16, 10:28 AM
MERKEDLS
Driver

Really glad you took a crack at it and it worked out. I'm all for using OEM parts and having trained tech's like at Lexus work on these cars, but sometimes it's a simple solution that can save you hundreds.
Old 06-23-16, 06:34 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice work. It's a better feeling to do the job yourself vs. paying for it to be done. You learn something about the car, and save a boatload of cash...