LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 12:50 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My audio upgrade

I'm having a Sony receiver installed today. I have a non navigation, non ML system. The installer is having issues integrating with the existing amp so I'm going to have to have another amp installed plus new wiring.
Needless to say I decided to leave the Lexus overnight.

This install is costing me more money than i anticipated.

Last edited by tradosauru; 01-03-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 01:40 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Was the stereo blown? I was not to impressed with the basic stereo at first, but the car is so darn quiet that I am satisfied now. Linda Rondstadt sounds as good as ever. Deep Purple Made in Japan is still my favorite live album. Pioneer amp and matched ohm speakers, Pioneer cassette player, Pioneer CD player all Pioneer so not surprised in does not like SONY. when I was young CRAIG / PIONEER made some pretty good stuff. Play it loud.
Old 01-01-16, 03:07 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
Was the stereo blown? I was not to impressed with the basic stereo at first, but the car is so darn quiet that I am satisfied now. Linda Rondstadt sounds as good as ever. Deep Purple Made in Japan is still my favorite live album. Pioneer amp and matched ohm speakers, Pioneer cassette player, Pioneer CD player all Pioneer so not surprised in does not like SONY. when I was young CRAIG / PIONEER made some pretty good stuff. Play it loud.
The existing stereo is fine. I just wanted bluetooth and the ability to stream music from my phone. Don't need a cassette player. lol

I'm surprised no one else has run into the problems I'm encountering with an aftermarket receiver. I've read a lot of posts about upgrading the audio but most were with the ML system.
Old 01-02-16, 01:23 AM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have just bought a vaistech sl3b if that is all you wanted.
Old 01-02-16, 10:51 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I priced the vaistech and at $230 i would rather invest in a aftermarket receiver. I'm tired of looking at the ancient cassette player. Lol
Old 01-02-16, 09:34 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

My aftermarket receiver was finally installed today. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of sound.
I wasn't pleased with the extra money I had to spend because Lexus has a unique set up with its amp.

Not including the $180 Sony receiver and the $50 of installation parts (Metra 44-EC204, Metra 40-LX10, Metra 95-8160G) I paid another $462 to get everything to
work. In fairness I did buy a Sirius capable receiver so I knew that was going to require extra parts and labor. The good news is that I didn't need the TYTO-01 (amp interface) which was $50 so I'm returning that.

Looking at the receipt I have the following labor and material charges:
1) Standard indash install - $65
2) 2 channel/mono amp install - $100
3) Factory amp bypass/integration - $50
4) 300 W Class D subwoofer - $100
5) TC5Kit-10 AWG Complete amp kit - $35
6) MC918-20, 20 ft speed wire - $32
7) Sirius XM Connect Vehicle Tuner - $40

The Best Buy technician had installed two other audio receivers for me in two separate vehicles and is really good. He told me he rarely has to call technical support but with the Lexus he had to figure out why the existing amp wasn't working with the new receiver.
Old 01-03-16, 08:48 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

As promised this is the installation pictures of the Sony aftermarket receiver.
Attached Thumbnails My audio upgrade-lexus_sony_a.jpg   My audio upgrade-lexus_sony_b.jpg   My audio upgrade-lexus_sony_c.jpg  
Old 01-03-16, 09:21 AM
Indulgent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tradosauru
My aftermarket receiver was finally installed today. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of sound.
I wasn't pleased with the extra money I had to spend because Lexus has a unique set up with its amp.

Not including the $180 Sony receiver and the $50 of installation parts (Metra 44-EC204, Metra 40-LX10, Metra 95-8160G) I paid another $462 to get everything to
work. In fairness I did buy a Sirius capable receiver so I knew that was going to require extra parts and labor. The good news is that I didn't need the TYTO-01 (amp interface) which was $50 so I'm returning that.

Looking at the receipt I have the following labor and material charges:
1) Standard indash install - $65
2) 2 channel/mono amp install - $100
3) Factory amp bypass/integration - $50
4) 300 W Class D subwoofer - $100
5) TC5Kit-10 AWG Complete amp kit - $35
6) MC918-20, 20 ft speed wire - $32
7) Sirius XM Connect Vehicle Tuner - $40

The Best Buy technician had installed two other audio receivers for me in two separate vehicles and is really good. He told me he rarely has to call technical support but with the Lexus he had to figure out why the existing amp wasn't working with the new receiver.

I have a 03 LS430 non ML non Nav and installed an aftermarket Pioneer CD player and the only thing that I needed to get it working was the TYTO-01 which integrates the aftermarket head unit to the factory amp. Since you added Sirius that brings more complexity so maybe that's why the installer needed all those extra adapters/harness and factory amp bypass.

The install of your Sony CD player looks great! Hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-03-16, 09:36 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I noticed that when I put my 2005 non ML, non Nav unit up for sale on Ebay that it was exclusively for the 2004-2006 Lexus so maybe something changed? All I know is the installer showed me that the existing amp in the Lexus wouldn't work with the Sony unit so maybe it was a Sony issue or maybe it was the specific year model of Lexus.
Anywho I'm just glad its done and I'm away from the ugly cassette player. lol
I'm hoping to sell the Lexus receiver for $150 on Ebay and with the $50 return of the TYTO-01 the entire cost shouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-03-16, 10:37 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Just added 6 months of Sirius radio for $25.00.
Old 01-03-16, 03:18 PM
Indulgent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I noticed that when I put my 2005 non ML, non Nav unit up for sale on Ebay that it was exclusively for the 2004-2006 Lexus so maybe something changed? All I know is the installer showed me that the existing amp in the Lexus wouldn't work with the Sony unit so maybe it was a Sony issue or maybe it was the specific year model of Lexus.
Anywho I'm just glad its done and I'm away from the ugly cassette player. lol
I'm hoping to sell the Lexus receiver for $150 on Ebay and with the $50 return of the TYTO-01 the entire cost shouldn't be too bad.
I'll be doing the same thing with all my factory stereo equipment too...selling it on Ebay once I'm done installing everything. Probably wont be until March 2016 though due to busy schedule.