GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installed Pioneer 3300BT Double Din, with an Ebay $15 china mini amp just for kicks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 08:33 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Pioneer 3300BT Double Din, with an Ebay $15 china mini amp just for kicks

Ok I just installed the unit myself, thanks to this site...and I'm not an audio guy and it wasn't even that hard for me! Everything worked flawless on the first try including the "brake bypass" which I did at the same time. I removed the stock amp and cd player. I had a pioneer OEM unit.

Let me also say that this is my daily and I don't need a thumping system (thats actually in my Camaro) just something more modern and clear.

This unit makes the stock speakers sound better still, but I wanted some bass not a whole lot. For that, you really need to connect an amp for the sub. I said what the hell...and after looking on youtube at what these little amps can do I spent $15 including shipping from China on one! This is 2.1 channel has mp3 direct connection, a sub level, treble, volume and another bass buttons for 2 additional speakers. Its rated at 200w....but I know its probably more like 75w or 100w.

Its not the greatest amp of course but I am shocked at what this thing can do for the money! it will completely shred the stock sub...I know thats not saying alot, but these little things pack a nice kick. AGAIN not for the hardcore audiophiles but if you want to add something not extreme but decent, its really not a bad choice. I have to replace that sub though!!

I know this may not be up to everyones liking but its small, it helps cover up that hole left by the CD player and I am going to trim some plastic to cover the rest up and I like it. They do come in different styles colors and brands but they are pretty much the same.

Here it is, connected to the glove box with some small bolts and nuts, you can't see the screws or nuts from the inside unless you actually look in the box itself or you look from the top to bottom, like how I took the picks from up high. Otherwise when in the passenger seat, you just see the amp.

And the finished double din and amp. The pics make the amp look like its pointing down, but its the way I took the pics. Its actually facing perfectly straight and level.

Nobody goes in my glove box anyway except pretty much me so Im ok with it but let me know what you think

Last edited by Zoilus; 11-01-11 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 09:00 PM
JEBAAY
Driver

Looks good!Great job.
Old 11-01-11, 09:17 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Nice little setup
Old 11-01-11, 10:20 PM
808_GS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you using your stock sub with this setup? Please share eBay link for the amp if you don't mind. Thanks!
Old 11-01-11, 11:23 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 808_GS400
So are you using your stock sub with this setup? Please share eBay link for the amp if you don't mind. Thanks!
Yes I am. The stock sub sounds ok on the low setting on the amp and on the radio when I put the sub settings to like -6 and 80mhz... you just have to mess with it. But on higher settings that stock sub sounds crappy, it just can't handle that amps output. But if you are looking for just a little bit of bass, then its ok.

Keep in mind that this only took about 8 business days to arrive from china so that's not to bad. You also get a tracking # . What you dont get is the power cable. But its a circular type male end jack. you can find the female end probably on something you don't use anymore and just splice the wires...very easy. It seems like this seller is out right now but others have it for double the price!!

Here is the link, Just wait till the seller posts some more up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260846639900#ht_3384wt_1037
Old 11-08-11, 11:03 AM
Andrewl125
Driver School Candidate

I want to know how did you get those splash screen on your Pioneer BT3300. I have the same headunit and I would love it to show the Lexus logo whenever I turn it on.
Old 11-08-11, 12:58 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Curious about has the amp gets power.
Old 11-08-11, 01:00 PM
AristoKing
Instructor

very nice man good job on the set up.
Old 11-14-11, 09:21 AM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Andrewl125
I want to know how did you get those splash screen on your Pioneer BT3300. I have the same headunit and I would love it to show the Lexus logo whenever I turn it on.
I save my pics to an SDcard it doesnt even have to have large memory. they have to be in JPEG format, select the SDcard as your device, in the lower right hand corner of the screen there is an on screen button labeled "media" press it, then choose "photo". your images will start cycling through. whenever you want to keep one in the built in memory ....you will see a "capture" on screen button while pics are playing...press it. now go to the option where you can change the background images in the settings menu, the image you picked will now be selectable! It will become your background screen if you choose it.

every time you "capture" a pic, the one before automatically deletes from the 3300BT's memory. The pics can be large... up to 8000x7000 . I have also noticed that when the only thing inserted/connected is the SDcard ....all the images will begin to auto play when you start the car...as long as there are ONLY image files on the SDcard. Hope that all helps

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Very nice! Curious about has the amp gets power.
I extended the wire from the amp to the wire coming out of the 3300BT labeled "remote" which I think is blue! What you need is a 12v so any wire you find in that area that is from the Lexus and is blue with a yellow line going through it will be a 12v power source and will work. But I strongly suggest just using that remote wire instead.

And thanks to everyone else for the props, I truly love how flush it sits and how everything came out.
Old 11-14-11, 03:51 PM
GS Trilogy
Driver

I like your setup Zoilus. I was thinking of doing the same to my GS430. Where did you buy the Pioneer 3300BT and how with the ebrake bypass kit? Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 11:40 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I would really like to upgrade my factory pioneer gs300 stereo. I am not looking for more anything more audio wise, but looking for more modern interfacing abilities (mp3, android phone, etc) which this stereo provides! So my question is and main concern is, does this amp perform bass and everything else just as good as the factory amp and setup???

Thank you
Old 11-15-11, 05:59 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS Trilogy
I like your setup Zoilus. I was thinking of doing the same to my GS430. Where did you buy the Pioneer 3300BT and how with the ebrake bypass kit? Thanks
I got it off of Amazon for about $284 shipped brand new. I used a simple 4 prong relay that I bought at Advance Auto store. You can get one I think at any hardware store/ radio shack ...etc
Just follow this video step by step :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

Originally Posted by ihateu3
I would really like to upgrade my factory pioneer gs300 stereo. I am not looking for more anything more audio wise, but looking for more modern interfacing abilities (mp3, android phone, etc) which this stereo provides! So my question is and main concern is, does this amp perform bass and everything else just as good as the factory amp and setup???

Thank you
Thats exactly what I was looking for and this set up is perfect for that. You will be pleased. And yes, the amp performs even better than the stock or even just like stock. Mainly because you have so much control. The amp has a bass boost ****, on top of that the radio's built in subwoofer options allow you to control the output of bass from -10 to +10 and the MHz from 35 to 50, 80 and 120 or somewhere around there. Plus you can control the bass from the equalizer settings to pre loaded or custom settings! You can get very precise on just how you want it.

If either of you would like more help feel free to post here or PM me, I'd be glad to help
Old 11-15-11, 07:32 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how are you powering your door speakers and tweeters?
Old 11-15-11, 09:28 PM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D-Boi
So how are you powering your door speakers and tweeters?
The radio it self is powering all the door speakers and tweeters. Like most units now a days, it has built in amps. So it does 50watts x4 . The tweeters don't have separate wires they are part of the front door speakers. so when you hook up the front door speakers you are automatically hooking up the tweeters also.

But the sound/loundness is way more than stock, leading me to believe that the stock amp is pretty weak.
Old 01-25-15, 08:10 PM
ihateu3
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

What did you use for the power adapter and how did you wire it into the cars power?