LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dealer wants $1150 for all rotors and pads...lol, insanity...other options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 12:09 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I couldn't agree more with StanVan Dam. It took me maybe 1 1/2 hours with a break for food. Super easy to replace these pads/rotors. Wer sensor just slides into place as well. I understand some of the guys on here may not be ready to tackle a TB or engine mounts, but brakes really aren't hard to do. Unless of course he lives someplace where working on a car is either a no-no or just not feasable.
I bought a drilled rotor/pad kit of ebay for 190 and the sensors came from O'Reilly for 9 or 10 dollars each.

AJ: You can do it!!
Old 12-25-15, 04:52 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

seriously, one more vote here for doing it yourself. Even if you are a rank beginner at auto mechanics, you can handle this one. It's that easy.
Old 12-25-15, 07:47 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Watch Youtube videos, save yourself $500-$700.
Easily complete the job in 2 hours or less.
Old 12-25-15, 08:04 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the price you're being charged you could get yourself a budget compressor, air gun, and tool set, along with OEM parts and still be under the price.
Using OEM parts from MyLParts, including $240 in OEM wear sensors, total comes out to $638. Without the wear sensors you're looking at $400. Then you throw on the 10% discount and it's around $360+ shipping costs. eBay has the OEM rotors for less with shipping, so it's possible to buy the pads from MyLParts and the rotors from eBay and save even more. This means you're being charged between $500 and $800 in labor. For that much you can have the tool set, a new jack, jack stands, a torque wrench, a compressor, and a pneumatic impact gun and still come out slightly ahead, albeit with a whole array of nifty tools to boot. Furthermore, brakes are a ridiculously simple job. It's a bit time-consuming by hand, but an impact wrench makes short work of stuck bolts and makes lug nut removal take no time at all. Finding the jacking point and securing the frame takes more time.
Old 12-26-15, 09:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Whatever you decide, nobody should waste big money on those brake wear sensors. It's basically just a wire that rubs down until a connection is broken.

An aftermarket one is like a $9 part through parts stores, which even still is overpriced for a few inches of wire. But what Lexus charges for them is absurd.

OEM for brake parts is just not worth the huge markup. I've used Centric Premium rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads on both Lexus I own and they work great. They even come with a built in teflon shim.

And dealerships and most shops are told to heavily sell brake jobs, be wary of that. It's easy money. And they will try to sell you on them for all 4 corners despite the fact the rear pads can often go close to 100k miles before needing replacement. So I'm always suspicious when somebody goes to a shop and are told they need new brakes both front and back at the same time.
Old 12-26-15, 10:57 AM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The brake pads and rotors on the LS430 are the easiest brakes I have ever seen to change out. Dealers charging more than 2 hrs labor for front and rear brakes should take you to dinner and a movie first based on what they want to do next.

The most difficult part of the job for diy is jacking up the car and removing and remounting the heavy wheels and tires. Everything else is cake. I'd buy all the parts online at a discount and then find a Asian car shop that will do the job for 2 hrs labor. Some shops wont install parts they do not supply but there are plenty of shops that will if they need to keep their techs busy. Shop around on the phone - tell them it is an LS430 with super easy brakes. If they don't agree call someone else.
Old 12-28-15, 09:38 AM
zapola6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with everything Jabberwock said.

This is an easy job if you are up to it. If you are short on tools the money that you can save will pay for a lot of tools…

While I am not your averaged DYI'er, however, on difficulty scale including swapping the rotors out, this job is a 3 to maybe a 4 at most. It’s straight forward and pretty simply, these cars are simple. If you are not interested in doing the work yourself, which I would totally understand, I would also suggest that you find your own parts, find an independent to do the work… Or find the shop first and then buy the parts. At the Dealer, $1200 on a brake job on these cars, I hope they are including a happy ending..... :-)

There are a ton of independent shops that specialize in Toyota, that have ex Toyota and Lexus techs doing the work. In Denver, just one shop is the Toy Doctor, my back up when I hit a skill level issue.... If you are close to Denver, I would be more than happy to help, I work cheap, beer !!!!.

The last time I did my brakes and rotors on my 2001 LS, I just used top of the line Autozone, replaced 2 rotors, turned 2 rotors and lifetime pads on all corners. I was out for around $250.00 including the machine shop fee at NAPA for turning the rotors. I did my brakes in March 2014, about 45,000 miles ago, today, no issues other than a slight vibrations that would go away if I took the time to turned the rotors. Pads are still 50% plus.

Took longer to chase parts and get the rotors turned than it did to do the job. I'm in and out in 20 minutes per wheel, add another 5 minutes or so for the sensor maybe..... Just did brakes all the way around on my mom's RX330 in an hour.... and that was with her watching and supervising, like I still need the supervision, I'm in my 50's, she's still 39 years old...... I asked her to do the math on that, she changed the subject..... Imagine that !!!!

Let us know what you do.

Steve
Old 12-29-15, 01:52 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am about to do the front and rear pads and rotors on my 2005.

The fronts look straight-forward.

What is the procedure for the rear so none of the e-brake hardware is damaged when removing the rotor?

Do i disconnect the assembly?

leave parking brake off during the install and transmission in park?
Old 12-29-15, 02:01 PM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors are not all the same. HUGE difference in the casting of these parts. Stick with OEM and not some Chinese, off brand, crap. Casting of metal is not an easy, simple process when striving for perfection. The Japanese are casting perfectionists. They have a long, long, history in metals casting. Some of the very best golf clubs are made in Japan because of their casting prowess.
Old 12-29-15, 03:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys; these forums are invaluable. Unfortunately I'm not DIY inclined, in the least, so I won't be attempting this myself. That said, I will find a reputable place to do the work (like the tire shop I mentioned) and provide my own OEM parts. It does sound pretty easy, as in I don't need to pay outrageous prices at Lexus.

It probably won't be a while, as I'd say I probably have another 6 months if not a year before I'll do it. Car stops fine, no squeaks or rubbing. Work needs to be done but it doesn't require immediate attention.

Thanks again!
Old 11-01-16, 11:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, lol I'm bored and up late. We are in the process of trying to close on our first house--might know for certain as early as tomorrow, so I'm just doing whatever to take my mind off the butterflies, just reading old forums and such lol. I figured I'd update this.

I went to the Lexus dealer and paid around $342 for 2 front rotors, pads, and rear pads, and bolts for all calipers, and took them down to the local tire shop I mentioned earler (Matlock Tire in Farragut), and they installed it all for $180+ tax. ($90/axle) The wear sensors have never tripped, Lexus twice told me I needed new ones. Also the rear rotors only needed resurfacing, not a new set like the dealer advised.

Brakes are beyond fantastic now, and I only paid around $550 including tax.....WELL less than half the stealership wanted. I think Lexus wanted like $1150 PLUS tax?

I guess I'm just enforcing the rhetoric of DON'T LET THE DEALER RIP YOU OFF! A transmission service or timing belt, Lexus or Toyota absolutely, but brakes and such.....don't get ripped off.

The LS is not designed for 0-180-0, but it does have very powerful OEM brakes. It effortlessly brakes from high speeds back down to a crawl. They're 100% good as when the car left the factory as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-01-16 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 05:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as saying rip-off....that implies dishonesty.....brakes are traditionally a high margin job. On my BMW 335i, it's an easy job, and the rotors come off simply by pounding with a fist. Parts for the most part are more than Lexus, example, discounted a front rotor is $130, Lexus is list $104. Pads list at $150 for the fronts. Anyway, BMW would get about $800 per axle on a non-M car, and about $1800 per axle on an M car. This is significantly more than $1150 for the entire car--hopefully that $1150 includes 4 rotors, so we are comparing apples to apples. I get it that Japanese is in a mentality to replace pads only, not pads and rotors at the same time. This concept I need to get used to (wife's uncle who is a technician, says he agrees, as we don't make 155 mph to 0 mph repeated stops, like they do in Germany).

The only piece that sticks out like a sore thumb is the sensor and its price.

With German cars, you can almost always buy the unbranded part, from the mfg. who makes the OEM. Meaning, it IS the same. So that is $15 on BMW (OEM is $26.35 list). How a Lexus part has a spread of $10 vs. $78 is a bit odd. imho $40 vs. $78 is more inline, but what do I know....

Apparently my brakes are 12/32 and 9/32 (as indicated on the state inspection) so it's going to be a long time before I do anything. I want to get those rusty non OEM rear rotors replaced, they're ugly (hats are totally rusted)....then again, who looks at them besides me....
Old 11-02-16, 05:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I wouldn't go as far as saying rip-off....that implies dishonesty.....brakes are traditionally a high margin job. On my BMW 335i, it's an easy job, and the rotors come off simply by pounding with a fist. Parts for the most part are more than Lexus, example, discounted a front rotor is $130, Lexus is list $104. Pads list at $150 for the fronts. Anyway, BMW would get about $800 per axle on a non-M car, and about $1800 per axle on an M car. This is significantly more than $1150 for the entire car--hopefully that $1150 includes 4 rotors, so we are comparing apples to apples. I get it that Japanese is in a mentality to replace pads only, not pads and rotors at the same time. This concept I need to get used to (wife's uncle who is a technician, says he agrees, as we don't make 155 mph to 0 mph repeated stops, like they do in Germany).

The only piece that sticks out like a sore thumb is the sensor and its price.

With German cars, you can almost always buy the unbranded part, from the mfg. who makes the OEM. Meaning, it IS the same. So that is $15 on BMW (OEM is $26.35 list). How a Lexus part has a spread of $10 vs. $78 is a bit odd. imho $40 vs. $78 is more inline, but what do I know....

Apparently my brakes are 12/32 and 9/32 (as indicated on the state inspection) so it's going to be a long time before I do anything. I want to get those rusty non OEM rear rotors replaced, they're ugly (hats are totally rusted)....then again, who looks at them besides me....
Well, they did try twice to get me to pony up $1150 + tax to fix my brakes and told me I needed new sensors plus rear rotors, which I didnt. Rear rotors sounded fishy to me anyway bc they had never been turned. Paying $550 vs $1200+ is avoiding being ripped off, at least to me lol. The dealer can screw off.
Old 11-02-16, 05:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Well, they did try twice to get me to pony up $1150 + tax to fix my brakes and told me I needed new sensors plus rear rotors, which I didnt. Rear rotors sounded fishy to me anyway bc they had never been turned. Paying $550 vs $1200+ is avoiding being ripped off, at least to me lol. The dealer can screw off.
I hear you.....I think with the dealer one has to pick and choose...."inconvenient" jobs may be bang for buck.....for example, on the BMW I do as much as I can myself, the dealer is significantly more than Lexus....for example, coolant and brake flush are about $160 and $140 respectively. Lexus was $129 and $59. The brake flush is a reminder on the BMWs computer--I think they take it very seriously. I admit, maybe I should not have distrusted the Lexus dealer, but I wanted to make sure they performed the work. $59 to flush the brakes is less than a muffler shop.

Interesting thing about the coolant, since it's $26/gal for 50/50, the job listed 2x$26. That's outrageous. Even BMW lifelong (European way of saying long life, not forever) coolant is about $26 list, for 100%, not 50/50. So the job takes 1 gal, and the rest of the $160 is labor....

edit: I can say this much too.......prices significantly vary. My car is from Naples, FLA. It has a sticker on the glass identifying the dealership there (also materials in the owner's manual pouch). I went to the website and an alignment is $169.95. Where I live, it's $89.95. And last I checked, I live in the 5th largest city in the country....my buddy said Naples is a wealthy area....BMW gets $200 here for an alignment, and they even break stuff when they do it (for real I had to slam them through the BBB before they would make good, the tech ripped my rear sensor out when adjusting the toe, and denied it. The brakes had < 200 miles and everything was brand new when he broke the sensor).

Last edited by Johnhav430; 11-02-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 07:06 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

I am getting my front pads and rotors and flange bolts replaced tomorrow at an Indy shop. All OEM parts including flange bolts totallying $277 in parts including tax. Labor will be $100 bucks. I don't think $377 sounds bad with OEM parts and flange bolts. I'll have the rears checked at the same time.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $1150 for all rotors and pads...lol, insanity...other options?