LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Disc Brake Pad Shims

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 04:37 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Disc Brake Pad Shims

I just bought a set Power Stop Z23 brake pads and rotors. The question is since the pads have backing plate shims attached to them, do I still need the stock shims or can I discard them?

It seems there are two styles of pads, with and without attached plates. I'm thinking I do NOT use the stock shims.

Second, do I need a lubricant between the back of the pad and the brake piston?

Third, do I use grease on the leading edge of the pad?

Thanks in advance?

Loren
Old 02-08-15, 09:04 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aftermarket pads do not usually need the OEM shims because they will usually have a backing to prevent squeaking. I still usually lubricate where the piston touches the pads and the edge of the pad backing because it will have metal to metal contact with the caliper. I would save the shims incase you ever wanna go back to OEM pads so you don't need to buy a new shim kit.
Old 02-08-15, 10:42 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmdrew
The aftermarket pads do not usually need the OEM shims because they will usually have a backing to prevent squeaking. I still usually lubricate where the piston touches the pads and the edge of the pad backing because it will have metal to metal contact with the caliper. I would save the shims incase you ever wanna go back to OEM pads so you don't need to buy a new shim kit.
Exactly. +1
Old 02-11-15, 06:39 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmdrew
This.

I just bought some new rear pads which had shims attached. I kept the OEM shims just in case I went back to OEM pads. FYI, the OEM pads do not come with shims and you reuse the factory ones.
Old 02-11-15, 02:00 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking Thanks for the Replies

Thanks guys for your help.

My brakes pulsated quite badly especially after putting a little heat in them. Decided to not goof around with it and replace rotors and pads.

The job was straight forward. Pads were pretty new and rotors looked fine. Pads were the type with the shims attached. Could not see anything wrong. Did the job anyway.

Everything works great now. The only thing I can think of is that the brakes had not been bedded either by the previous owner or the shop that did the work. Seemed like excessive grease on the pad shims. Rotors looked fine but had probably been turned at one point. The previous owner had three brake jobs in 62,000 miles and claims that she did not ride the brakes. Go figure and why I decided to start over.

Be sure to bed the brakes.

Old 02-12-15, 06:21 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
Thanks guys for your help.

My brakes pulsated quite badly especially after putting a little heat in them. Decided to not goof around with it and replace rotors and pads.

The job was straight forward. Pads were pretty new and rotors looked fine. Pads were the type with the shims attached. Could not see anything wrong. Did the job anyway.

Everything works great now. The only thing I can think of is that the brakes had not been bedded either by the previous owner or the shop that did the work. Seemed like excessive grease on the pad shims. Rotors looked fine but had probably been turned at one point. The previous owner had three brake jobs in 62,000 miles and claims that she did not ride the brakes. Go figure and why I decided to start over.

Be sure to bed the brakes.

It was most likely bad rotors. I had the same problem despite the rotors looking fine. Once I replaced them and the brakes, there was no pulsating. FYI, some brake pads do not require bedding.