DIY - Seatbelt cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 01:05 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post DIY - Seatbelt cleaning

Hi guys,
I was getting tired of how slowly my seatbelt was retracting. I was checking it out and looking for a problem, when I found and discovered how dirty it was! I never payed attention to the way seatbelt looked. But my god, it was awful. I can imagine after 130k miles, how many people rode in my seat, who wore the seatbelt, and were they naked?! Seriously it was really dirty.

So as usual, thought some others might want to have the same thing done to their vehicles. Bring back the really good looking seatbelt, with a fresh smell like your clothes when they just came out of the laundry.

I made a DIY, it was really easy using this great website. Had to put in all the tying though.
Here it is:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Seatbelt-cleaning/

Make sure you have the positive terminal from your battery disconnected before starting the job, well after you bring the seat forward that is. Then you may commence.

Also, know that you are working on a very important part of your vehicle that is supposed to save your life if god forbid something goes wrong and you have an accident, so if you pen it up and think oh my god what is this, then please don't be adventurous and dive into it. Another method of cleaning your seatbelt would be the popular (tuck out of the door, and power wash it method, although I've read many reviews that this type of power might hurt the fibers of the seatbelt's cloth. That's why I decided to do it this way.)

But it really isn't that difficult, pretty simple if you are a patient person. <<-That always helps

Anyways, the instructions are also attached as a PDF if you wanted to print it and take out with you to the car.

Enjoy your new and clean, fresh seatbelt!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DIY-Seatbelt-cleaning.pdf (542.7 KB, 408 views)
Old 12-28-14, 01:57 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing this. Which molding remover did you use in step three? You have a pic?
Old 12-28-14, 02:34 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is good to know. Your seat belts were disgusting. How long did it take you to remove the belt? and does the molding fit back in without looking messed with?
Old 12-28-14, 02:56 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Thanks for sharing this. Which molding remover did you use in step three? You have a pic?
It's a really great tool to have around. Doesn't scratch your trim and you can use it in a million things.

$5 on Amazon.
Amazon.com : E-PRANCE New Car Door Clip Panel Audio Video Dashboard Dismantle Kits Installer Pry Tool : Car Trim Removal Tool : Automotive Amazon.com : E-PRANCE New Car Door Clip Panel Audio Video Dashboard Dismantle Kits Installer Pry Tool : Car Trim Removal Tool : Automotive

Originally Posted by KawiLex
This is good to know. Your seat belts were disgusting. How long did it take you to remove the belt? and does the molding fit back in without looking messed with?
Gollyyy! They were horrible. A home where grime and other disgusting bacteria used to live.

You mean the rubber moulding around the edge?
Yup, they should fit back in snuggle and perfect just like you never took them out before.

Took me about 15 mins, taking the seatbelt off of the car. Then I needed almost 2 hours cleaning it and letting it dry.
Old 12-28-14, 09:44 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks mate, I'll try to order immediately, I must have them.
Old 12-30-14, 05:56 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default I've looked at this option a few times...

I decided that after the possible cleaning and all the effort and drying time, it was more productive for me to just order new seat belts from Lexus and put them in. Total cost was $408.00 for the front pair. It took me roughly, thirty minutes to complete the task for both sides. The worst time effort was the black adhesive sealer used on the door gasket by the B Pillar (Its like black rubber cement with the stuff stretching out like a spider web). Otherwise, very straight forward.

Also, while Sewell's price is very good for these belts, due to the explosive charge, the shipping is outrageous. I made friends with my local Toyota dealer parts counter, and he offerred me lightly better than the Sewell price plus tax, and no shipping for pickup at his counter.

They are now night and day compared to my old stiff and discolored belts that were in the car.

Also as a footnote to the above for the trim tools. For those of you in the United States, Harbor Freight Tools sells the set of those for under $8.00.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 12-30-14 at 06:00 AM.