LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission Problems 02 LS430 Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 08:51 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaaXD
After work today, I'll climb down there and shoot some pics just for you guys. I have to do a final check for leaks anyways lol.
Great Job. You would be the MAN if you post those photos... LOL.
Old 03-14-15, 08:18 PM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002 LS430
121k miles

Hi guys, I've been dealing with an issue I believe was caused be the wrong fluid being put in by the dealer, before I bought the car.

Early on the car would intermittently have surging cruise control. I'd cruise on the freeway and every ten to fifteen seconds it would try to accelerate for only about a second.

Then it started randomly holding the second to third gear shift before finally shifting.

One day it wouldn't shift at all from second to third and would buck and jerk violently when I tried to shift.

I limped the car home, I was able to get it to cruise in fifth, for some reason cruising at a constant speed made the problem disappear. That night I discovered the transmission had some kind of dexron in it, and was overfilled 1.5 quarts. Being midnight all I could do was drain the excess fluid.

The problems went away for a few days and I was finally able to do a drain and fill with 3 quarts of toyota type iv. That helped my issues, they did show up a week later, only this time it would very consistently have trouble shifting from second to third, and would slip.

I also ran into a serious problem, where It would slip in every gear and wouldn't shift at all.

Soon after that, I dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter, cleaned the magnets and the pan, and replaced 6 quarts of fluid.

My problems went away completely for a full week, today I was cruising on the freeway and the transmission dropped from 5th to 4th in cruise control. Dropping it from d5 to d4, then back to d5 got it to shift back into fifth. And going into the city, it was again holding the second to third gear shift, but a couple minutes later the problem went away.

I've been fighting this issue ever since buying the car, and it's the only thing giving me any remorse. Has anyone run into an issue like this or has any suggestions? I've priced out a used transmission, they're easy find since they were put in absolutely everything, I've never changed a transmission in an ls430 before, so not sure if the transmission can be pulled out from the bottom, or if the engine has to come out with it.

Thanks guys.
It could be ecu related. If however, u find out it's the trans, you could pull out from the bottom.
I have done it on my 06 gs430. You would need to get some heavy duty high rise jack stands and a high rise floor jack if you don't have a lift. I have done this on my drive way. If your mechanically inclined, it's not that hard.
Old 08-07-15, 12:55 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

After work today, I'll climb down there and shoot some pics just for you guys. I have to do a final check for leaks anyways lol.
Could you post pics of where these sensors are? Thanks!
Old 05-02-17, 11:28 PM
davidgfree
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, first post here...loving the ls430,just like you!. Cutting to the chase , my ls430 seems to be having the vehicle speed sensor issue. Their was a bloke here who showed the readers the sensors and was going to put up some pics to their location but something happened and it didnt eventuate..... Could someone show a schematic or pics of where the little buggers are and how to get to them.!? pretty please..I did jack the car up and have a looksee but no joy

dave

Last edited by davidgfree; 05-02-17 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 12:33 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 693 Likes on 567 Posts

This diagram is a 2006
If you have an earlier LS430 that still uses a transmission dipstick I believe both sensors are on the drivers side. Hope this helps...
Old 05-03-17, 01:59 AM
davidgfree
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schematic

Nice.thanks man.yeah my lexus ls430 is a 2001 model with a transmission dipstick.im in australia so the dipstick is on the passenger side.with everything topsy turvy ,thats gonna create some headaches.i wonder some days...why cant **** be just simple!? Why does everything have to be shrouded in drama???
thanks for your help
dave

Originally Posted by bradland
This diagram is a 2006
If you have an earlier LS430 that still uses a transmission dipstick I believe both sensors are on the drivers side. Hope this helps...
Old 05-06-17, 12:40 AM
rubeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both of your sensors will be on the side that the dipstick is on. there is one near the front by the bellhousing and one in the back nearest sensor to tail of trans.back on should be easy, front might take some work.
Old 05-06-17, 05:27 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never worked on speed sensors. Can they be accessed from the top or do I need to jack up the car?
Old 02-26-24, 03:35 AM
ZOTS
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2005 LS430 and just need to replace the O ring on the output sensor. Looks like an offset wrench is needed for that bolt. I can't get my hand in there to pull the sensor if I get that bolt out. Do you have any tips on what you did. I think if I removed the tans cross member and mount that might give me more room. Also will there be a loss of fluid? If so would It be enough where I would have to refill? If so I'll need to be sure I can get to the fill port to pump in fluid.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.