LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New UL Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 10:02 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts
Default New UL Owner

Its a little delayed since I technically got the car 2 weeks ago but I wanted to post my new ride. My name is Phil and I'm 25 and live in Texas. I picked up this 02 UL off ebay and had it delivered a few weeks later. I would never be one to typically buy a car without seeing it but I took a big risk and it worked out. I've been a Nissan guy in the past, and then went over to the German side having a few BMW's hence the username. I've had my current BMW for about 6 years or so. I love the car but its pretty sporty/rough ride and I've always loved the feel of my parents Lexus. I started looking around and wanted to get another ride.

I bought a Dinan M3 back in October but sold it a few months later, because I like having a 4 door and wanted something cheaper to maintain. I guess I'm a big fan of large luxury sedans. Ended up looking for a LS430, and after talking with my buddy who had one he mentioned the ultra luxury package since I told him I'd like to do a VIP theme eventually. Its a extremely comfortable car and I really like it. Not many issues except that the left rear seems to sit lower sometimes. I'm really worried about the air suspension going out, but if it does I'll probably go after market with airforce or something. I'm not a fan of coilovers since my bimmers feel WAY too stiff even after adjustment. I love the way air ride feels. The car also seems to pull different directions sometimes, I'm going to need to likley get a allignment.

The car has 80k miles, and ended up being a 1 owner car with a guy who took the car into the dealer for EVERYTHING. Thanks to a post yesterday I was able to see all of the maintenance records on the Lexus side.

Things I've done so far to the car, led lights under doors, mirrors(HUGE pita). Replaced a blown front speaker with aftermarket, and I had the windows tinted with F1 Pinnacle in 30%. I had always went with cheap film on other cars since I didn't realize they don't actually block heat. This film has a 65% heat rejection rate. Makes a HUGE difference already when I got in the car. I wanted to go lighter but they only carried 30% or darker. It looks pretty good, the rear in the pics is darker because of my rear shade being up. It was expensive film but probably worth it.

I'm not sure on the mods I want to do yet, I was thinking of maybe blacking out rear badges, I'm undecided though. I'll get wheels eventually, probably deep dish with silver and something that will be flush. Also a datacontroller possibly, and a new front grill, probably badgeless if I can get it or black chrome.

New UL Owner-f2jjrtq.jpg
New UL Owner-plpusyq.jpg
New UL Owner-pcc7jiy.jpg
Old 08-08-14, 10:40 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purty! May I ask what you paid?

I'm on the hunt for a UL with failing air suspension to swap to stock steelies. I have $2k budgeted (labor/parts) and I think that should be plenty for a swap to non-air suspension. I like the white Bimmer too- how is the reliability on that beauty?

Congrats
Old 08-08-14, 10:57 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't mind at all, $12600. The bmw can be very expensive to maintain, it's at least 1k every time it's in a shop. Engine wise it has been good but very costly repairs like leaking oil pan transmission etc. it has 127k miles on it.
Old 08-08-14, 01:04 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a real beauty and the beast shot there great looking rides! For your swaying issues check all your suspension rubber bushings on the LS, good chance they may need replacing I will be replacing mine and also a performance rear sway bar this fall, 121k on my clock. Enjoy the Cream Puff!
Old 08-08-14, 01:36 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice pickup. Looks like my '03, same color and wheels. Your pictures have convinced me to get moving on a tint for my car. I'm the original owner and it's taken me this long to decide to tint!