LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help estimate on painting bumpers and kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 09:21 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help estimate on painting bumpers and kit

I have a full lip kit (front, rear and sides) that i need to paint and install. I also am going to get my front and rear bumpers repainted. The front bumper was partially chewed on by a puppy so there are deep marks on it and I am also going to have the front license plate bracket removed and patched up. The rear bumper was hit and run and left me with cracked paint. I went to a bodyshop and he estimated 1500 to take off, refinish, repaint and put back on the bumpers and also to prep the lip kit, paint and install. I saw his work and it looks good. His shop also only uses PPG paint which is a good thing. This seems like a lot. But I know you pay for what you get. Does this price seem ok? He first said it would be 1850 but went down to 1500 if i paid cash and since I am getting a lot done. Any input appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-20-13, 08:42 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too bad. I got a quote to refinish my bumper for $500 by a quality shop. This included some minor repair of some deep gouges.

My experience is that just as there is a wide range of prices for body and paint, there is also a wide range of quality (think Earl Schibe). In the long run, you will be much happier with a shop that not only does good work but also stands behind it. Think a couple of years down the road when "cheap" jobs really show how they cut the corners.
If you are going to sell the car right after the repair, you can be less picky. Most repairs look good for the first few months.
Old 12-20-13, 09:06 AM
SRMLS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper repair

I had the front bumper on my 06 LS repaired and painted for about $900.00. That included the chrome trim seperating the top and bottom. My damage was caused by a parking lot curb bumper.
Old 12-20-13, 10:32 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had work done on my LS when I bought it and it was about $500 to refinish each bumper at at high-quality local independent body shop. Your estimate seems about right.
Old 12-20-13, 10:45 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by walleyeman
Not too bad. I got a quote to refinish my bumper for $500 by a quality shop. This included some minor repair of some deep gouges.

My experience is that just as there is a wide range of prices for body and paint, there is also a wide range of quality (think Earl Schibe). In the long run, you will be much happier with a shop that not only does good work but also stands behind it. Think a couple of years down the road when "cheap" jobs really show how they cut the corners.
If you are going to sell the car right after the repair, you can be less picky. Most repairs look good for the first few months.
I know what you are talking about. He is a little shop and doesnt advertise but is known pretty well by some of the car enthusiasts and he also offers a lifetime warranty on paint and worksmanship.

Originally Posted by SRMLS
I had the front bumper on my 06 LS repaired and painted for about $900.00. That included the chrome trim seperating the top and bottom. My damage was caused by a parking lot curb bumper.
Wow, that seems like a lot to me but maybe that's because Im just a college student. Would buying a new bumper and painting that be a better decision?

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I had work done on my LS when I bought it and it was about $500 to refinish each bumper at at high-quality local independent body shop. Your estimate seems about right.
Thanks. Im just trying to figure out how he breaks it down. Im guessing about 400 each bumper, 500 for the lip kit and 200 to install. I might go with him then. Theres also another local that owns a vip gs300 2nd gen and he is giving me a quote tomorrow.
Old 12-20-13, 11:00 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

body shops are the biggest rip offs ever, please do not subscribe to the theory that expensive is better.

They will gouge u for the most they can, they will tell u materials are hundreds of dollars, and it takes days , its all a scam.

Find a reputable place, a name brand shop, and then haggle them down as much as u can, belive me , they have tons of wiggle room.
Old 12-20-13, 11:13 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
body shops are the biggest rip offs ever, please do not subscribe to the theory that expensive is better.

They will gouge u for the most they can, they will tell u materials are hundreds of dollars, and it takes days , its all a scam.

Find a reputable place, a name brand shop, and then haggle them down as much as u can, belive me , they have tons of wiggle room.
I understand what you are saying but usually the reputable brand shops are expensiver than usual. I can get my entire car painted for 700 but i know better because cheap material and workmanship. I am just trying to find a good middleground.
Old 12-20-13, 11:17 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doodoo
I understand what you are saying but usually the reputable brand shops are expensiver than usual. I can get my entire car painted for 700 but i know better because cheap material and workmanship. I am just trying to find a good middleground.
The best bet is to supply your own materials, even the high quality stuff is still reasonably priced, good mid quality stuff will be more then fine, and can be had for very cheap.
Old 12-20-13, 11:32 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The best bet is to supply your own materials, even the high quality stuff is still reasonably priced, good mid quality stuff will be more then fine, and can be had for very cheap.
Really cause buying paint alone for my car was over $1500 and that was at a discounted price.

Do you work in the autobody industry where you know what it cost to own and operate an autobody shop?

You get what you pay for. If you're smart and do your research so you know what shops are reputable than I would chose the least expensive of those. At least OP knows a $700 paint job isnt the route to go.
Old 12-20-13, 11:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It's a bit on the high side, but it's not outrageous.

On an Infiniti I owned, someone rear ended me at a stop light and put a dent in my bumper. I went to a high end bodyshop the dealer used, and it came out to something like $700 that the other person's insurance had to cover.

For an independent bodyshop that's doing side work for cash that's incrediby easy and straightforward, my shoot from the hip estimate says it should be no more than a $1,000.

I could see the whole job billing about 10 hours x $80 an hour = $800, then figure about $200 for paint and materials. Seems pretty fair to me, and $80 an hour is on the high side for Louisiana.

I would get other quotes though and see. The best is of you can find a pro that moonlights on the side.
Old 12-20-13, 03:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Really cause buying paint alone for my car was over $1500 and that was at a discounted price.

Do you work in the autobody industry where you know what it cost to own and operate an autobody shop?

You get what you pay for. If you're smart and do your research so you know what shops are reputable than I would chose the least expensive of those. At least OP knows a $700 paint job isnt the route to go.
lol here we go.

Let me guess you bought your materials through the body shop instead of buying it on your own?

Just do your research OP, (like I have), even top of the line , name brand, base coat and clear will only run you a couple hundred dollars per gallon.
Old 12-20-13, 07:11 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
It's a bit on the high side, but it's not outrageous.

On an Infiniti I owned, someone rear ended me at a stop light and put a dent in my bumper. I went to a high end bodyshop the dealer used, and it came out to something like $700 that the other person's insurance had to cover.

For an independent bodyshop that's doing side work for cash that's incrediby easy and straightforward, my shoot from the hip estimate says it should be no more than a $1,000.

I could see the whole job billing about 10 hours x $80 an hour = $800, then figure about $200 for paint and materials. Seems pretty fair to me, and $80 an hour is on the high side for Louisiana.

I would get other quotes though and see. The best is of you can find a pro that moonlights on the side.
I see. I dont know much about body work. I dont know how long it would take either. Maybe I should ask him how many hours and come back with a fair price. The paint materials I called for cost more than 200 for me, maybe because I dont own a bodyshop for a discount.
Old 12-20-13, 10:07 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

lol here we go.

Let me guess you bought your materials through the body shop instead of buying it on your own?

Just do your research OP, (like I have), even top of the line , name brand, base coat and clear will only run you a couple hundred dollars per gallon.
Lol here we go is right I bought my material direct from the PPG dealer in my area. So care to make any other incorrect assumptions? BTW you still didnt answer my question.

Last edited by HiloDB1; 12-20-13 at 10:21 PM.