LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

More key questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:43 AM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More key questions

My recently purchased 2006 LS430 came with three keys; two masters and a valet key. Unfortunately there is no wallet key nor tag with the key code. These are the "smart" key variety. My questions:

1. It seems to me that the smart system only works intermittently *. This is annoying, but not fatal, so I tried turning off the smart system under the dash. Pushing the button in or out doesn't seem to turn the system off. Am I missing something?

2. In case of emergency, I want to be able to use the actual metal keys contained in the fob to start my car but they won't go into the ignition slot. They open the doors, but won't start the car. I have tried all three keys. I have tried the keys with the above mentioned button in both positions.

3. Is there some way of getting a key with no remote functions and no smart functions that will just open the door and start the car? The local locksmith was able to make two simple keys, one for door and one for ignition for my Highlander, but the SUV didn't have the "smart" system.

*The manual says that carrying a cell phone with or near the key may interfere with function. It is a little hard to avoid this situation, but I will experiment with removing the phone, flashlight etc from my purse.

Ultimately, I want to be able to hide a key on the outside of the car. I read a thread about this and I am pretty sure I can figure something out. Where I live, coyotes and donkeys are much more prevalent than car thieves. I am so paranoid about lost keys that I would almost rather risk having the car stolen than not being able to have an always reliable, hidden key. Did I say I am paranoid?? I wake up in the night thinking about car keys.

Thank you for any direction in this matter. Sorry my paranoia makes me such a PITA.
Old 10-02-13, 10:05 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

first your ignition does not use the metal key to start the car,just insert the the key fob into the slot and turn.
secondly you may be pushing the wrong button under the dash there are two buttons, one is for the tps and the other is the smart key button.
what do you mean when you say that the smart key is intermitten?if it means you turn the ignition and it doesnt start you will have to wiggle the steering wheel then it will turn and start the car.
lastly put a new battery in all you fobs every 6 months.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 10-02-13 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 11:55 AM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

Well thanks! No wonder the car won't start with the key. So, you are saying that even if the battery is dead in the fob, it will still start the car? I suppose it is completing a circuit somehow between the car and the key. It might be that the battery is just to run the remote buttons. OMG - I just tested my hypotheses...I removed the battery from the fob and the car starts, but of course the buttons don't work.

Jimbosr1, you have solved all my key issues and I will have to find something else to obsess over when I wake in the night. Thank you again! What a great place CL is!

I will get out my mirror again and see if I am pushing the wrong button, but as long as the car will start without a working battery in the fob I am fine.

By intermittently, I meant that sometimes I can lock the car just by pushing the black button on the handle and sometimes not. Same with opening/unlocking door. The trunk won't open at all with the smart system, but works fine with the lever or the key. I am not at all sure that this isn't some kind of operator error. I will practice some more. I know the fob/key has to be in proximity.

I replaced the batteries and plan to use the fob and smart system just like instructed. I was just worried about the scenario where something goes wrong.
Old 10-02-13, 12:34 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

the fob will start the car even if the battery is dead.there is alittle learning curve.do you have a owners manual?
Old 10-02-13, 01:23 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gailr42

By intermittently, I meant that sometimes I can lock the car just by pushing the black button on the handle and sometimes not. Same with opening/unlocking door. The trunk won't open at all with the smart system, but works fine with the lever or the key. I am not at all sure that this isn't some kind of operator error. I will practice some more. I know the fob/key has to be in proximity.

I replaced the batteries and plan to use the fob and smart system just like instructed. I was just worried about the scenario where something goes wrong.
Regarding the trunk option, one odd thing I found was the replacement key I got did not have a real button to open the trunk, it was basically a blank space where a button should have been. I kept thinking it wasn't working, but there was simply no button there. The original key did however have that button and it worked properly.

When I purchased the car, the previous owner gave me money and a locksmith's contact info for a 2nd key to be made as it only had one key. When I went through everything after he was finished, the locksmith was dumbfounded about why it didn't have that trunk button on the backup, but all the other features worked. Rather than get into a pissing match I just let it go as the previous owner "paid" for it.

That's why I personally would simply buy a master Lexus key at Sewell and have the dealership program it if a replacement is ever needed.
Old 10-02-13, 01:39 PM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

BradTank, it sounds like you have a valet key. That kind of key doesn't open the trunk.

Yes, Jimbosr1, thank goodness I have a manual. I read all the stuff about keys but I just didn't get that you didn't need that key blade to start the car. You are right, there is a learning curve. My LS400 was simpler, but this one is newer, prettier and I'll eventually get up to speed. Currently, my owners manual is my bedtime reading. I love gadgets - GPS MP3 iPhone etc. I think of my car as a giant gadget so it's not so overwhelming.
Old 10-02-13, 01:43 PM
BradTank
Racer

BradTank, it sounds like you have a valet key. That kind of key doesn't open the trunk.
Interesting, can you program two "master" keys to one car?

It's silly to have a key this way, if a valet wanted to, they could obviously open the trunk if they have access to the inside of your car.
Old 10-02-13, 03:40 PM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

The car came with two masters, one valet and a set of flat keys to carry in your wallet or purse. It sounds like you have one master and one valet. The two masters go to one car so that two people can drive the car with keys of the same "status" which might be desired in the case of couples, partners etc. There is a lock on the dash of your car which is supposed to disable the trunk popper, as well as a lock on the little hatch that goes through the back seat to the trunk, so, in theory, you lock those, give the parking lot attendant the valet key and the contents of your trunk are safe. Valet parking is such a chore...sigh .

You can search on here to learn more about key programming, but I do know that you have to have the blank key with all three functions in order for it to be programmed as a master. The one you have doesn't have the trunk opening function. Actually, there are so many clever people on here that maybe they do know how to make the two button key function as a master...but I don't know anything about that.
Old 10-02-13, 04:26 PM
BradTank
Racer

The car came with two masters, one valet and a set of flat keys to carry in your wallet or purse. It sounds like you have one master and one valet. The two masters go to one car so that two people can drive the car with keys of the same "status" which might be desired in the case of couples, partners etc. There is a lock on the dash of your car which is supposed to disable the trunk popper, as well as a lock on the little hatch that goes through the back seat to the trunk, so, in theory, you lock those, give the parking lot attendant the valet key and the contents of your trunk are safe. Valet parking is such a chore...sigh .

You can search on here to learn more about key programming, but I do know that you have to have the blank key with all three functions in order for it to be programmed as a master. The one you have doesn't have the trunk opening function. Actually, there are so many clever people on here that maybe they do know how to make the two button key function as a master...but I don't know anything about that.
Good to know. I thought the Valet key was just the flat credit card sized ones.

Can a previously programmed master key be reused, or does it have to be brand new? I've heard you can't buy used ones off of Ebay because they won't work, but I never really looked into it.

The entire concept of a Valet key is silly, most people aren't going to walk around with 2 keys to their car at all times, and to leave a Valet key in the car for when you have a situation that calls for a parking attendant, it's very dangerous from a theft standpoint because if some breaks into your car to grab something inside, they now have a key they can drive off in.

It's one of those features that everyone expects a luxury car to have, but almost no one actually uses it.
Old 10-03-13, 07:25 AM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you on the valet key. I am just using mine for an extra key. If any one gets in my trunk, they will score some Costco reusable bags and an empty styrofoam cooler for possible shopping events.

For your questions about keys, use the search box up towards the top of the page. Put "keys" or "programming keys" or what ever you want to know. I read all of it, but I don't want to try to answer your question because I might not remember everything correctly. I am new to the "smart" key experience.

Feeling very fortunate to have a full set of keys that work!
Old 10-03-13, 12:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Valet key is useful when you go to Disneyland and stay in the Grand Californian. Just give the valet the key and you don't even bother seeing or thinking about the car for a few days as it stay nice and secure out of sight.