LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Non chrome 18s = sport suspension? 06'

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 01:15 PM
Chippin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non chrome 18s = sport suspension? 06'

I have the Oem 18s on my 06. The common spec with the sports package that I've read indicate the 18s. Does this confirm I have said package or are there other ways to find out?
Old 08-19-13, 01:37 PM
Chippin
Driver School Candidate

I do not have the ss badge that I have seen on some so that probably answers it...
Old 08-19-13, 01:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

I think they usually have the badge on them. I've never seen one in person before so I can't say for sure.

I figured if you had the five spoke 18 inch wheels you either had the sport package or the UL package.
Old 08-19-13, 02:07 PM
Chippin
Driver School Candidate

I have the 5 spoke 18s matte.

I'm also curious as to why the 18s are standard with the sport package, does a larger wheel base mean better handling?
Old 08-19-13, 02:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Chippin
I have the 5 spoke 18s matte.

I'm also curious as to why the 18s are standard with the sport package, does a larger wheel base mean better handling?
My UL LS430 came with the chrome five spokes. I've seen the matte ones on a few other LS' but I didn't see if they had a badge or not.

That's a good question. I'm not too sure if it handles better.
Old 08-19-13, 02:19 PM
Chippin
Driver School Candidate

Probably just an aesthetics thing I suppose
Old 08-19-13, 02:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The 05-06 17's where standard but.....most all if not all came with 18's ordered from the dealers or simply shipped to the US as an upgrade. 18's are lower profile/wider so yes they do handle better but maybe not as soft of a ride over bumps. I have driven a few, an 04 with 17's and an 05 with 18's both in about the same conditiona and tire dept with same Michelin tires back to back. The 18's are a bit tighter handling. I prefer the 18's with 245/45/18 versus the 225/55/17. Also sport suspension versus standard ......not incluing UL air which I only drove one of and the thing was beat.

There that was about 10 minutes closer to going home from work
Old 08-19-13, 02:33 PM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longer wheel base, for handling gives stability, slower reactions to turning and higher periods/lower frequency in oversteer (where the car essentially becomes a pendulum).

If you're talking about bigger wheel sizes, they change a little bit of the kinematics, but unless you go to the extreme with the overall diameter changes you won't even understand a difference.
The main differences would come from the tyre wall size. Bigger equals plushier ride, and less responsive steering. Smaller is sportier (aspect ratio makes the tire stiffer and all inputs are translated faster).
Old 08-19-13, 03:28 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I was reading an interesting article in either Car and Driver or Motor Trend where they did back to back handling tests (skidpad, slalom, etc) using the same car, but with progressively larger wheels and lower profile tires.

What was interesting was that after about 17", the handling gains were negligible, even going backwards with some of the larger sizes. The car also became slower (increased weight) harsher ride, more road noise, less fuel economy, etc. To say nothing of how expensive tires are for large wheels, or how easy large rims can be damaged.

The new trend for big rims is all about "the look", (which I think looks silly after a certain point) and would prefer the automakers leave the big rims for the aftermarket.
Old 08-19-13, 04:02 PM
Chippin
Driver School Candidate

After some reading I do take away the majority favoring the 17s overall, interesting.

Also, I see the sport rear sway bar install is pretty painless and cheap, might as well have it.
Old 08-19-13, 04:09 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thats fine with one sest and I do not mean to disagree but comparing for example a 3500k car to a 5k car is huge, there are many many factors involved. I went to 18 from 17's and noticed none of what is mentioned(gas mileage was actually better or equal, noise better or the same, mildly harsher ride in some instances but overall a better ride(now if ya live in the city a difference harsher on potholes and woop do do's). The price of 17's to 18's is minimal but ya start talking 19's 20's ya more rubber more R and D you are right I own a Touareg with 20's tire are 350 bucks. Just a point, not meant o debate just clarify MY experience. I think in the 430 LS I will get 18's all day long.
Old 08-19-13, 04:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

But I did drive 19's and 20's on my Treg and not much difference I agree.
Old 08-19-13, 07:51 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Warminwisc is correct. The 05-06 LS430 (including CL & UL) came standard with 17" alloy (not chrome) wheels.
18" wheels (your choice of alloy or chrome) was an independent option.
The Sport Suspension option included 18" wheels.
Also, the Sport Suspension option was not available on CL and UL cars.
Any car that had the Sport Suspension option had the badges (located just in front of the front doors).
Old 08-19-13, 08:37 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

my 06 came with the alloy 18's and it is not a sport package car. The original owner paid extra on the sticker price for the upgrade like ^^ said.
Old 08-20-13, 10:43 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I was reading an interesting article in either Car and Driver or Motor Trend where they did back to back handling tests (skidpad, slalom, etc) using the same car, but with progressively larger wheels and lower profile tires.

What was interesting was that after about 17", the handling gains were negligible, even going backwards with some of the larger sizes. The car also became slower (increased weight) harsher ride, more road noise, less fuel economy, etc. To say nothing of how expensive tires are for large wheels, or how easy large rims can be damaged.

The new trend for big rims is all about "the look", (which I think looks silly after a certain point) and would prefer the automakers leave the big rims for the aftermarket.
Automakers go for bigger wheels, mainly so they can slam in bigger brakes. But I do agree that it's getting silly with practically everyone running 19" rims

Quick Reply: Non chrome 18s = sport suspension? 06'