LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 03:58 PM
TomShea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire

I just had a good experience with Discount Tire. It's true that you can bring tires back no matter what. I bought a set of winter tires for my LS430 and took a chance on a set that was pushing the envelope as far as plus sizes. The tires were on winter clearance Friday January 11th. The deal was buy three and get one free. I couldn't resist going for it. The only set of the Michelin winter tires that had on hand were 235/65/16, overall height just over 28 in tall. Our stock tire size is 225/60/16, height aprox 26 2/3 in tall. We installed a tire on wheel and checked clearance on the right front with the car on the floor. It was close at a couple of places but no interference. I had them install the oversize set and drove off happy. I had just purchased the car that day. The next day, Saturday 1/12/13, my wife drove it with me in the passenger seat. We heard the left front tire rub on as she backed out on the street. That was the first time the tire was in that position, tight turned right and backing up. I didn't look too clever to my wife at that point. This is going to be her car if it checks out. I called Discount Tire the following Monday and they said "no problem" bring em back and we will exchange them. I just had that done today, Thursday 1/17/13, and opted for the stock size. They had to order them in therefore no clearance price. It's good to have places like this that stand behind their product to that extent. These are tires that I dove on and checked the clearance myself. I could see other less upstanding merchants operating differently in such circumstances. I would also like to mention that this is not the first time I had a good experience there. I purchased a set of tires for a previous car several years back. I decided to try a less expensive set and drove off with the savings in my pocket. I also reutrned those for a different set with no problem. Discount tire also has a pretty good waranty (even road hazard) except for winter tires. Those you do have to purchase the extra cost waranty which is outstanding and well worth it.
Old 01-17-13, 08:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

TomShea - thanks for sharing that info. I have also heard good things about Discount Tire here in DFW area. I personally use Costco for tires but Discount Tire would be my alternate choice if Costco did not have what I wanted at the right price. And there is no way I'd buy anything from NTB.
Old 01-18-13, 02:18 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can also vouch for Discount. When I bought/installed the primacy's I looked for the best tire shop in my area and Discount was rated highest. The facility was new and clean, staff were very polite and helpful, and most importantly the car was not harmed in the process! A very professional and well run chain indeed
Old 01-18-13, 05:16 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

i use discounttiredirect.com then take them to a discount tire store and have them put on.
Old 01-18-13, 07:24 AM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Discount Tire in the Sugar Land area for many years. Good service and prices.
Old 01-18-13, 08:03 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't say anything good about Discount Tire in the Phoenix area. Plenty that's bad.
Old 01-18-13, 08:18 AM
TomShea
Rookie

Default discounttiredirect.com

Jimbo:
Are the prices and or selection better and worth the extra trouble to bring your own tires in?
Old 01-18-13, 08:19 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 413 Likes on 341 Posts

My parents used to go to Discount Tire back in the day. They fix tire leaks for free too. I usually get my tires from Tire Rack but I goto Discount Tire to mount them.
Old 01-18-13, 08:20 AM
TomShea
Rookie

Default Dissapointment

Jay:
I'm sorry you have had a problem. I think a shop is only as good as the people that work there. I feel fortunate to have this place near by. I hope your options are not limited in your location.
Old 01-18-13, 08:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TomShea
Jay:
I'm sorry you have had a problem. I think a shop is only as good as the people that work there. I feel fortunate to have this place near by. I hope your options are not limited in your location.
Two shops within 5 miles. Will never go to either of them again.
Old 01-18-13, 08:25 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Discount Tire here in Tucson is great! Free balance and rotation for the life of the tire. My wife's Accord has a low tire warning light come on during our last cold spell. I took it to Discount Tire even though the tires are the one that came with the car. The checked the pressures and then reset them to spec. No charge! The manager told me to have the wife come in once a month and they will reset the tire pressures for her. No charge, no long wait, no appointment. That's service! When I need tires, I go to Discount Tire.
Steve
Old 01-18-13, 09:53 AM
TomShea
Rookie

Default Concerned

Jay:
I'm concerned about whatever happened to you could happen to me or others. I'm not sure if it's OK to talk about stuff like that in these forms, but I would like to know more. Could you possibly give us some idea of what happened?
Old 01-18-13, 11:39 AM
hardimen
Rookie

What a coincidence! I was just looking for primacy mxv4 245/45 R18 tires for my LS430 in my area and decided to get a price quote from Discount Tire. They match the lowest price I can find in my area ($221.99 per tire from Big O) and they also gave me the $70 off Michellin rebate. The final quote was $966 for the set and $1092 if I get their certificate for replacement. They had the best reviews on Yelp among all the tire places in my area. I'm still looking for better deals but so far they are the best deal I can find.
Old 01-18-13, 01:19 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TomShea
Jimbo:
Are the prices and or selection better and worth the extra trouble to bring your own tires in?
i think so,no shipping and no taxes.then discount tire charges me $20.00 a tire for mounting and balancing.check out there site.
Old 01-18-13, 05:42 PM
TomShea
Rookie

Default Tires

I just arranged for another set of wheels to use for my summer tires, which I dont have yet. The wheels are 16x7 stock wheels just like the ones that are on the car now. Any suggestions? I'm considering going to a 235/60/16 which I'm sure will not be too tall, but I wonder how wide a tire the 7 inch rims will support properly. This is only one plus size so I'm assuming that the 235/60 will be OK. That seems like the widest choice shown at Discount Tire.com. I wonder what is the best summer tire for the 2002 LS 430?

Quick Reply: Discount Tire