[LS430] Smart System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 03:54 AM
maniek_LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [LS430] Smart System Issues

Hi,

I own my LS430 '2001 from four months. From beginning I had problem with SMART key operation (I have only one three button SMART key). I replaced batteries two times (sure are new), checked SMART button under instrument board - working properly, SMART LED is also working.

Problem was: car not recognized SMART key and I have to touch door handle by SMART key and after that lights goes on (interior and in mirrors) and red LED on SMART key flashed once, when I wait 2-3 seconds for second LED flash and then I touch door handle by hand - doors were opened, but I was unable to start engine "Key is not detected" appears on display. The only way to start a car was to insert SMART key into cylinder and turn on.
To close a car (using SMART function) I had to touch door handle by SMART key and then I to press button on door handle - Lexus locked doors.
All wireless buttons works perfect - I can open, close car, open trunk - all the time.

Something (I only remember that SMART key fell down on ground, but maybe I pressed buttons on SMART in any combination - don't remember) happens about two weeks ago and SMART system started to work as designed !
I feel happy I can open Lexus when SMART key was in pocket, start engine, open trunk, close a car...

Yesterday I opened car using SMART function (with key in pocket), take some things from Lexus and close the car not using SMART function but using remote (pressing lock button on the SMART key) and.. again SMART started to work as I described on beginning - car is not recognizing it when I'm entering close to car, I cannot start engine etc, cannot open trunk etc. Why ????

Are any steps to activate/deactivate SMART system that can happen if car is opened by SMART and closed using wireless ?
Thank you for help and apologize for my English..
Old 03-09-12, 06:22 AM
graperob
2nd gear

Default I have the same problem

I have this problem too. The SmartKey remote works when I push the buttons to open the door. But the car does not automatically sense the remote when it is in my pocket any longer (after years of working find). I replaced the battery with a fresh one. The ignition will only start if i place the SmartKey into it. It used to work from my pocket like it should.
Old 03-09-12, 02:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by graperob
I have this problem too. The SmartKey remote works when I push the buttons to open the door. But the car does not automatically sense the remote when it is in my pocket any longer (after years of working find). I replaced the battery with a fresh one. The ignition will only start if i place the SmartKey into it. It used to work from my pocket like it should.
Sounds like a battery, even though you replaced it. I'd take it to my dealer and tell him it doesn't work. My dealer will install a battery free. They'll also know if a proper connection is made with the battery when installed.
Old 03-11-12, 05:34 AM
maniek_LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by graperob
Hi. Try to disassemble the key - photos below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mmilobe...eat=directlink After i cleaned all parts with compressed air and assembled back SMART is working fine !
Old 03-11-12, 12:43 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didnt know the 01-03 had this function. I thought it was only on the 04-06 models. I have never had this work on my 01.
Old 03-11-12, 02:02 PM
maniek_LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
I didnt know the 01-03 had this function. I thought it was only on the 04-06 models. I have never had this work on my 01.
EU models had options called Ultra Luxury in US from beginning of LS430 production. My LS ('01) is President option (smart, door closer, rear massages + heaters, rear radio/AC panel, fridge).
Old 03-11-12, 11:25 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by maniek_LS
EU models had options called Ultra Luxury in US from beginning of LS430 production. My LS ('01) is President option (smart, door closer, rear massages + heaters, rear radio/AC panel, fridge).
My 01 is an Ultra Luxury equipped model.