LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 VS GENESIS 4.6-Desision

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 02:45 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i too drove the genesis,a new 8 cylinder and the used 06 ls430.as soon as i drove the 430 it was a no brainer for me.the ride and refinement was the tipping point for me.1 and a half years later and i still love firing up the ls for a spin.
LS 430 is bawse!
Old 11-24-11, 02:31 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think OP is asking the wrong question here.

What he/she should be asking all of us is:

1) What mileage do you have on your ls430? 103k

2) What major (over 1k$) mechanical issues have you had since owning (aside from normal routine maintenance)? Owned for 4 months, nothing yet just tiny stuff, air filter/push pins for engine bay, cabin air filters, air purifier filter.

3) What do you love about it most? Its soft, smooth, it works, the turning radius is CRAZY AWESOME!!! The sport button is awesome, I show it off to friends all the time, body roll is non existent with it on. PWR button too....lol its not a fad, or snake oil, those buttons work and nicely.

4) If you could go back, would you change cars and why/why not? A more enthusiast car with handling and speed....maybe an e46 m3 with a HPF stage 2 turbo kit....

Instead of clowning other car manufacturers, or ******* the way they promote their cars. We should focus on what differences the OP is truly looking for. What does he/she want the ls430/ Genesis for?

The genesis is very nice, I would love to own one. It can compare to the LS430 in some ways, not so much in others.

Lets be honest here, most car manufacturers have stepped their game up starting in 2008-ish......most have revamped their line up, got rid of the trash, weeding out the money grubbers and geared most towards quality.

Lexus is one of the few brands that really has not needed to revamp their brand, quality, or engineering. That is something to look at and appreciate.

I love my LS430, but coming from what I have had, I am too used to fast cars (jeep srt8, pontiac g8 gt with supercharger, g35 coupe, trailblazer ss).

The days I love my LS430 are the days in which I hear no outside noises and can cruise and not feel a bump in site (2003 UL 103k miles).
But, I have put a lot of work already into mine, cleaning was the major issue. Now its a few exhaust issues, and such. But the previous owner did all the major stuff (timing belt, water pump at 70k). Its the tiny things for me that are adding up.......I also need to find out how to fix or replace the driver side notes/paper holder in the door......its floppy and moves freely. And I have the rotten egg smell when at WOT. I have 1 key, need to make more which will cost a lot.

So far so good. I would recommend it to anyone. This coming from someone who has never owned a genesis, or test driven one. But would not mind owning one.
Old 11-25-11, 12:17 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The Genesis sedan is a great car! I never drove a 4.6 but have driven the V6 and a 5.0 R-Spec.

My opinion is the V6 is about 75% as good as a GS350. The 5.0 R-Spec smoked the GS460 in performance. They are AMAZING for the price, but refinement wise they are only 75% of a Lexus GS.

With that being said, LS430 is a whole one or two level higher in refinements then the GS.

If you are looking for refinements, get a LS430.

If you want sporty, get a GS or Genesis Sedan.
Old 11-10-13, 11:41 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

I think the Genesis needs to compete with the Avalon . I can't see why they would come up with a car overnight and aimed straight at the ls . To me its a joke . I even see a discussion that saids it has more room than my ls. I believed the Genesis would have problem competing with v6 Accord and Camry,so why is this even a debate. I highly dissagree it will even compared to a ES350 . That only problem why it did was they threw in a 4.6 v8 and now they believe its in the same class as a ls. Let me ask people here have you guys even drove a Genesis . If not just think of a v6 camry with the se package, that's exactly what it feels to me. A lot of people thinks a car that runs smooth on smooth pavement indicates a smooth riding car . I think they need to drive in Detroit to see the diffrence in a smooth car over very rough roads. In my opinion no way a Genesis will even come close to a Lexus , diffinetely not a ls .
Old 11-11-13, 05:52 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are on a Lexus forum, so of course you're going to get a biased opinion to go the LS430, which is the best vehicle ever built for it's time. I'm sure if you go to the Hyundai site, you'll get biased opinion there because they chose the Genesis and of course they'll want to love it, no matter what the problems. All forums are for the 5% of the buyers that even care to read up on their cars, or do DIY, or just want to see what others are talking about. Forums I find are not very indicative of anything really.
Honestly, whether you go with a LS or a Genesis, you're going to be happy either way. How much you love it and how long you'll love it is the question. I have no doubt you're enjoy a more troublefree ride with the LS than the Genesis. Which you'll enjoy more, that's all up on your and what you like/want in a vehicle. My wife and I already know that we'll replace our LS when it dies in 20 years with another LS.
Old 11-11-13, 09:53 AM
LS4EVER85
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

No comparison!! IMHO
Old 11-11-13, 12:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I am impressed with the Genesis, it's sort of in the same position Lexus was when they took on Mercedes in the 80's. Someone at my office drives one and loves it, the fit and finish combined with the "bang for the buck factor", I can see it being an appealing choice. It's not in the LS league, but it's also half the price.

It's not something I would buy, I want a brand with a track record if I'm going to be paying the maintenance, but the lease deals are attractive. I want to say you can lease some models for around $299 a month?

With the amount of mileage that you drive (40,000 miles a year) I probably not have either for my work car, I would want a car where it had already taken a big hit in depreciation and it got better mileage than something with a V8. Your gas bill alone has got be $500-$600 a month. But if you're being well compensated for your job and don't mind taking that financial hit, might as well drive a nice car if you're spending that much time in it.
Old 11-11-13, 03:46 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just purely from a "snob" factor... you tell someone in your office you drive a Hyundai and first thing to mind "Hyundai Excel" ... back in late 80's atleast when you said Lexus they would be like "what is that?" and you could explain it however you wanted. I kind of would have no issues really with the Genesis except that it's branded together with a $13,000 car. I know, call me a snob.
Old 11-18-13, 07:01 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You are on a Lexus forum, so of course you're going to get a biased opinion to go the LS430, which is the best vehicle ever built for it's time. I'm sure if you go to the Hyundai site, you'll get biased opinion there because they chose the Genesis and of course they'll want to love it, no matter what the problems. All forums are for the 5% of the buyers that even care to read up on their cars, or do DIY, or just want to see what others are talking about. Forums I find are not very indicative of anything really.
Honestly, whether you go with a LS or a Genesis, you're going to be happy either way. How much you love it and how long you'll love it is the question. I have no doubt you're enjoy a more troublefree ride with the LS than the Genesis. Which you'll enjoy more, that's all up on your and what you like/want in a vehicle. My wife and I already know that we'll replace our LS when it dies in 20 years with another LS.
I don't know about you ,but when I had my s500 and I was a member of benzworld . I always stated that I miss my ls400 everyday . I'm not the type that would say my car is the best just because I own it . Anyways people who own a Genesis almost never have own a ls . there were a few reasons, one thing is its a hyundai so maintenance is going to be cheap. BTW anyone who is on here drove a Genesis yet before they have a opinion on this???

Last edited by lexusls4; 11-18-13 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-18-13, 07:10 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
I think OP is asking the wrong question here.

What he/she should be asking all of us is:

1) What mileage do you have on your ls430? 103k

2) What major (over 1k$) mechanical issues have you had since owning (aside from normal routine maintenance)? Owned for 4 months, nothing yet just tiny stuff, air filter/push pins for engine bay, cabin air filters, air purifier filter.

3) What do you love about it most? Its soft, smooth, it works, the turning radius is CRAZY AWESOME!!! The sport button is awesome, I show it off to friends all the time, body roll is non existent with it on. PWR button too....lol its not a fad, or snake oil, those buttons work and nicely.

4) If you could go back, would you change cars and why/why not? A more enthusiast car with handling and speed....maybe an e46 m3 with a HPF stage 2 turbo kit....

Instead of clowning other car manufacturers, or ******* the way they promote their cars. We should focus on what differences the OP is truly looking for. What does he/she want the ls430/ Genesis for?

The genesis is very nice, I would love to own one. It can compare to the LS430 in some ways, not so much in others.

Lets be honest here, most car manufacturers have stepped their game up starting in 2008-ish......most have revamped their line up, got rid of the trash, weeding out the money grubbers and geared most towards quality.

Lexus is one of the few brands that really has not needed to revamp their brand, quality, or engineering. That is something to look at and appreciate.

I love my LS430, but coming from what I have had, I am too used to fast cars (jeep srt8, pontiac g8 gt with supercharger, g35 coupe, trailblazer ss).

The days I love my LS430 are the days in which I hear no outside noises and can cruise and not feel a bump in site (2003 UL 103k miles).
But, I have put a lot of work already into mine, cleaning was the major issue. Now its a few exhaust issues, and such. But the previous owner did all the major stuff (timing belt, water pump at 70k). Its the tiny things for me that are adding up.......I also need to find out how to fix or replace the driver side notes/paper holder in the door......its floppy and moves freely. And I have the rotten egg smell when at WOT. I have 1 key, need to make more which will cost a lot.

So far so good. I would recommend it to anyone. This coming from someone who has never owned a genesis, or test driven one. But would not mind owning one.
at wot ,its normal for that smell.