LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

climate control....its never comfortable!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 05:02 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McSwine
I think he's wondering, as I am, what kick panel you are referring to. The one under the ignition switch previously mentioned?
Ah, i didnt interpret that, yes, the kick panel on the drivers side. It requires removing 3 bolts for bottom cover and unclipping 3 wire connectors. Then remove the 2(maybe 3, i forget now) on the bottom of kick panel with 10mm socket. I find that unbolting the two 10mm nuts inside where the ebrake release gives the ability to remove the mirror adjustment and coin tray so that there is a handle to pull the kick panel off since it is clipped in. Also be sure to remove the trim ring around the ignition switch. THe sensor is behind the little vent and is connected electronically as well as with a vacuum line.

lmk if pics are necessary, i might be able to do that.
Old 03-15-11, 05:49 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naffy
Ah, i didnt interpret that, yes, the kick panel on the drivers side. It requires removing 3 bolts for bottom cover and unclipping 3 wire connectors. Then remove the 2(maybe 3, i forget now) on the bottom of kick panel with 10mm socket. I find that unbolting the two 10mm nuts inside where the ebrake release gives the ability to remove the mirror adjustment and coin tray so that there is a handle to pull the kick panel off since it is clipped in. Also be sure to remove the trim ring around the ignition switch. THe sensor is behind the little vent and is connected electronically as well as with a vacuum line.

lmk if pics are necessary, i might be able to do that.
Excellent. That's exactly the kind of hand-holding I was looking for. Now I've got to determine if I've got sense enough to do it.
Old 03-15-11, 04:19 PM
potatoman
Driver School Candidate

Hey Naffy,
Would you be kind enough to post some pics...I believe I'm experiencing this same exact problem but I'm a total noob. Thanks!
Old 03-21-11, 05:35 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by duncan73
I too, want to take a second to thank StanVanDam for all the detailed, valuable information he shares with this Board. I wish there was an MVP award, as he would certainly be amongst the top candidates, not to slight MMarshall et.al. I learn so much from all of them and it's all practical, worthwhile advice.
Thank you for the acknowledgment. I always try to provide legitimate, unbiased, and cost-efficient advice, even when the problems don't apply to me, since it helps us all learn about and solve problems we may run into later. By posting on a public forum, it is definitely the best way to share the knowledge.

Sorry to take the original thread off topic!
Old 03-21-11, 10:37 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Originally Posted by potatoman
Hey Naffy,
Would you be kind enough to post some pics...I believe I'm experiencing this same exact problem but I'm a total noob. Thanks!
pics how to take off? Sure, it will be wednesday before I can though, so hold tight.
Old 03-23-11, 08:19 AM
Lexie's LS
Driver School Candidate

No problems here. My idea of a good climate control system is this: Can I see my breath? The LS 430 does not disappoint in this category.

Can't see my breath? Drop it to COLD and say, "So sorry wifey...you get to play Nanook of the North on this trip."
Old 03-21-12, 01:53 PM
CDlex
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 04 LS with 40k miles. It has a minor blemish or two, but pretty much mint. Well cared for. I have the exact symptoms that the original poster had with the climate control. The only way to get it to not blow hot air is to put it on "cold." Any temp setting other than that will set the fan to high and turn the heat on. Even if it's already hotter than the temp setting.

So I thought I would try the OP's fix. The thread stopped before any pictures were posted. I can post pictures of the process. Would like to identify the kick plate and the connections first. Before, I do...has this issue been covered somewhere else? I have not found any other postings.

Thanks.