LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

This is the best rear wheel drive car to drive in snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 05:43 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is the best rear wheel drive car to drive in snow!

just wanted to share my opinion. I just drove in a about 8 inches of snow and on the highway at about 25+mph. New set of Michelin Primacy also helped. NYC is getting hit hard!!!!!!
Old 12-26-10, 06:19 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my "beater" RX300 and new MDX in waiting in garage, I'd rather not risk driving my baby in the snow. I'll just use the beater... but good to hear the LS does well in snow if needed.
Old 12-26-10, 07:39 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, the LS with trac on and in snow mode is as safe as it gets. However, it turns into a whole different beast when trac is disabled and the car is set to power mode, can be a tricky little thing at that point
Old 12-26-10, 07:53 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stability control keeps my car dead straight in the snow. I love it!!! Gotta have the snow mode on for the best results though
Old 12-26-10, 07:53 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am driving on Primacy snow tires and the grip and braking are excellent. It feels totally predictable in normal driving but it is possible to overcome the laws of Physics in an empty parking lot The ESC works as advertised but given enough gas pedal I can get the rear end to break loose and begin to slide. It is so controllable though that you never feel at risk.

My wife has a Lincoln Navigator 4x4 and this year we fitted Bridgestone Blizzacks. That thing is like a mountain goat. The ESC and AWD combined with the tires make it impossible to break loose.
Old 12-26-10, 10:12 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

This seems like a great argument for the need to have good tires. Since we are all running the same car here, the only real difference are tires. I have stock Dunlop Sports and they break very easily in snow. Stability control kicks in sometimes, but the rear comes out at other times, highly entertaining but not very predictable
Old 12-26-10, 10:20 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a light dusting of snow over night so I got a chance to test out the snow tires I had installed from my previous vehicle. The Dunlop M3 are getting on in years and I am looking to replace them since I wasn't very impressed with the traction even in the relatively light coating of snow. But thanks to the ESC, it kept the rear end in check even when I was giving it the gas around the corners trying to break the rear end. And break away it did lol!
Old 12-26-10, 10:23 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

The car really could use an LSD, would help put the power down better under slippery conditions.
Old 12-26-10, 11:04 PM
svlexus
Driver

The traction control is way more effective than lsd for safety in most situations. Lsd puts the power down but trac takes control often for me and ends any sliding quickly. Im a new owner and its the first rear wheel drive ive had in years so im probably trying to slide it LOL
btw -the lsd im referring to is limited slip differential.
Old 12-27-10, 01:34 PM
mjblaw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the snow driving observations..I'm headed to Taos & think I'll just drive, now! By the way, those of you who baby their Lexus are missing out on what these great cars can do. I drive 3-5k miles a month, with 108,000 miles so far, and I like it more every day! Baby a 'vette; DRIVE a Lexus LS 430!
Present: Cypress Pearl '05 LS 430
Past: '99 BMW M3
'05 BMW X3
Old 12-27-10, 02:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If you do drive to Taos, I'd be interested in hearing how the LS handled the snow in the mountains. I am a big chicken, and would be afraid to tackle a drive up to most ski areas without 4 wheel drive (except maybe Park City ski areas, because that drive is 95% just driving up I-80)
Old 12-27-10, 03:18 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure on flat ground with moderate snow, good tires, and slow driving, the LS will handle okay. Add some inclines, heavier snow, and average tires, we're then talking a totally different driving experience.
Old 12-27-10, 07:23 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I'm sure on flat ground with moderate snow, good tires, and slow driving, the LS will handle okay. Add some inclines, heavier snow, and average tires, we're then talking a totally different driving experience.
My thoughts exactly
Old 12-27-10, 08:25 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you do drive to Taos, I'd be interested in hearing how the LS handled the snow in the mountains. I am a big chicken, and would be afraid to tackle a drive up to most ski areas without 4 wheel drive (except maybe Park City ski areas, because that drive is 95% just driving up I-80)
You'd better check the weather forecast...big storm like the one 2 week ago that shut down I-25 north of Santa Fe (caused a big pileup) is expected this Thursday.
Old 12-27-10, 08:31 PM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

We got hit with 18 inches of snow this morning.
I do agree, the LS is the best RWD car in the snow I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: This is the best rear wheel drive car to drive in snow!