LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 07:15 AM
s021jeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem when I bought my 04 LS430. Best solution is to replace the entire steering column. It's actually cheaper than opening up the column to replace the motor; which will allow moisture and dust particles to get into the column and cause the tilt motor to fail. Dealer replaced the column and switched over the accessories $1,300.00
Old 01-05-16, 08:10 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Lets be clear here.......This thread is actually wondering a little bit. Two things are being discussed.....

1, steering wheel tilt up and down function. This is the most common where a bushing can be the fix. the bushing becomes deformed and can get jammed....also the threaded rod needs to be lubricated for proper function. This is the easy cheap fix.....a couple bucks for a bushing and your done.

2. steering wheel telescope in and out function. Now this is the one that is a tricky repair. You need to be patient and think out what you are doing. Now before replacing this motor you can try to see if u manually extend the wheel to get the motor to the end of its throw for a lack of better words......it might start working again. If not u need a new motor....its under $200. I mentioned the details earlier in this thread....but not all of our cars are the same....some have smart key.....some have knee air bags...etc. Bottom line is if u remove the airbag obstruction that the 2004 has the job is easy. Personally i wasnt gunna touch that air bag so I worked around it which was extremely difficult but I got it done.

Very important......even with a new motor installed. Mine did not work at first. Then I ran the motor to full extension while not attached to the column....full in and full out so it knows its range. Then I hooked it to the column and it worked perfectly.

I love this feature and u guys who are living without it should consider dropping the 200 bucks and a few hours of your time for years of luxury.

good luck

oh ps......DO NOT GET YOUR ENTIRE STEERING COLUMN REPLACED......unless we are talking about another issue....which n fact there was a recall regarding the column a long time a go.
Old 01-05-16, 08:17 AM
s021jeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS...my reply is not meant to be the know all, be all answer... I offered my experience regarding the general topic. Also, have it properly diagnosed by Lexus, otherwise what are you owning an expensive Luxury car for...? FYI for some :-)
Old 01-05-16, 08:42 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

no prob s02......it just worried me that u mentioned in your post " best solution " and that would just depend on which of the 3 issues we are talking about here. I will assume that your problem was steering column being too tight......not the telescoping motor issue that some here are talking about. Your advice to get checked out by a dealer is good advice.......if one can afford to.
Old 01-05-16, 10:55 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where is the best price you guys have found on the motor? a few in here are mentioning for 200.00?

cheapest i can find is 270.00 from a lexus dealer.
Old 01-05-16, 10:55 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by s021jeh
I had same problem when I bought my 04 LS430. Best solution is to replace the entire steering column. It's actually cheaper than opening up the column to replace the motor; which will allow moisture and dust particles to get into the column and cause the tilt motor to fail. Dealer replaced the column and switched over the accessories $1,300.00
Sounds like the best solution is to try the $5 fix. $1300? Wow.
Old 01-05-16, 01:00 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

When I got my '01 the telescope function would make a very slight squeak with no movement. I pulled the lower panel and watched what was happening. The motor would turn ever so slightly but all that would do was bind up the bushing (which was obviously defective). The motor circuit either has a self-resetting circuit breaker or the ecu kills power when no movement is detected as my motor would only run for a split second then stop. If I waited a bit it i could repeat the cycle. To fix it I shot the bushing and screw with lithium grease and slowly worked the motor in and out to pull the grease into the bushing. Once fully greased I had full movement in and out and the auto function worked again. A new bushing is on order. I also greased the column itself where it telescoped to cure another slight squeek.
Old 01-05-16, 05:20 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

911LE very well described. Yes you are correct. If I had to do it all over again I would have just free'd up the motor and shaft and ran with no load...greased etc. I believe that will work in 90% of these issues. Hindsight of course. My motor did the exact same thing....would run for a split second and make a slight sound then done.

As for where i bought my motor....its been about 2 yrs now....I believe it was ebay from a Lexus Dealer....If I were you I would def try 911LE suggestion.....or my suggestion.....let your existing motor run free with no load....in and then out...then hook back up. I bet u 10 bucks it works like a champ. Of course this chatter doesnt make a lot of sense to you because u havent seen the parts up close yet...or disassembled.....good luck
Old 01-05-16, 06:04 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911LE
When I got my '01 the telescope function would make a very slight squeak with no movement. I pulled the lower panel and watched what was happening. The motor would turn ever so slightly but all that would do was bind up the bushing (which was obviously defective). The motor circuit either has a self-resetting circuit breaker or the ecu kills power when no movement is detected as my motor would only run for a split second then stop. If I waited a bit it i could repeat the cycle. To fix it I shot the bushing and screw with lithium grease and slowly worked the motor in and out to pull the grease into the bushing. Once fully greased I had full movement in and out and the auto function worked again. A new bushing is on order. I also greased the column itself where it telescoped to cure another slight squeek.
This is exactly what happened in my situation. I hit all moving parts with grease in a last ditch effort to get both motors working properly after not working for 2+ years. After the grease job, 3 days later, everything started working again on its own with no problem. Nice, smooth motions with no squeaks. Almost like new.
Old 01-05-16, 08:32 PM
911LE
Instructor

Just an FYI the bushing part number is 45768-60011. Any Toyota or Lexus dealership can get it as it is used in several different vehicles. Mine was $2.45 from mylparts.
Old 02-23-16, 07:21 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta pick ya'lls brains please. Wife drives our 06 99% of the time. I noticed that the telescope would barely squeak when I moved it. Eventually it got to the point to where it would stop moving at all. You could feel and hear it trying to function though. Took it apart and noticed the rubber bushing was pretty worn. After I removed the bushing I checked the operation of the motor and it all seems to be working properly. I installed the new bushing and the freaking thing does the same thing.
Pulled the bushing back off and that's when I noticed the thin brass sleeve that is part of the bushing is gone. I have no clue or can't remember if it came with the new bushing or not.

Is that brass sleeve a must in order for it to work?
Could the motor simply be going out and not have enough ***** left in it to function as designed with a load on it?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-16, 07:53 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Been over a year since I did mine....but everytime I read about the " bushing " I think you are working on the wrong function......as I recall the bushing ( yes i bought and tried one too ) ....the bushing is for tilt not telescope.....I could be wrong there....would have to go outside and see if 2 separate threaded shafts. But to answer your question.........I would be willing to bet that at least 50 percent of the motors that we think are bad are not....the are simply bound up....and need to be disconnected from rod.....then run and re connect......orrrrrrrr while connected needs to be manually pulled all the way out then turned on and let the motor pull the wheel back in. I have tried to explain this in previous posts.

Note.....remember I said I bought a new motor and installed....once installed it still didnt work.....I manually pulled all the way out which put the motor in the correct throw.......then ran it again and it worked like a charm....

Its a tricky repair....good luck
Old 02-23-16, 09:29 AM
911LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by toyo
Gotta pick ya'lls brains please. Wife drives our 06 99% of the time. I noticed that the telescope would barely squeak when I moved it. Eventually it got to the point to where it would stop moving at all. You could feel and hear it trying to function though. Took it apart and noticed the rubber bushing was pretty worn. After I removed the bushing I checked the operation of the motor and it all seems to be working properly. I installed the new bushing and the freaking thing does the same thing.
Pulled the bushing back off and that's when I noticed the thin brass sleeve that is part of the bushing is gone. I have no clue or can't remember if it came with the new bushing or not.

Is that brass sleeve a must in order for it to work?
Could the motor simply be going out and not have enough ***** left in it to function as designed with a load on it?

Thanks!
Grease the bushing and jackshaft with spray white lithium grease. Work the grease into the bushing by working the motor back and forth. Mine acted the same way till it was well greased.
Old 02-23-16, 05:52 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey 911 when u say work the motor back and forth ....are u suggesting using the switch to try to get to move back and forth.....or disconnect from shaft and pull wheel manually back and forth? Its been a long time since i did mine.....just trying to follow what worked for you.
Old 02-23-16, 06:02 PM
911LE
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey 911 when u say work the motor back and forth ....are u suggesting using the switch to try to get to move back and forth.....or disconnect from shaft and pull wheel manually back and forth? Its been a long time since i did mine.....just trying to follow what worked for you.
I used the switch. At first the motor would only move a fraction of an inch but as the grease was pulled into the bushing it would move further each time. I didn't replace my bushing (I have a new one now). I could see the original bushing twisting with the jackshaft instead of being stationary.

Quick Reply: Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430