LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fuel Injector Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 05:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Having problems and not running at optimal performance are two seperate things. Some people never flush the coolant out of their cars and never have problems, but we all know the coolant isn't as effective as it was brand new. You dont' have to have problems with the car in order to benefit from fuel injector cleaning. ALL CARS WILL HAVE BUILDUPS no matter what.
I was just gonna say that, it is just something you do to keep the motor running good, it won't develope problems if you don't do it.

This is one of the factor why some cars still runs very good at high mileage and some runs poorly.
Old 11-09-10, 05:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I guess you are right. I should add an 8 oz bottle of cleaner into my high detergent 20 gallon tank of premium gas even if it is not misfiring, running rough or has no decrease in fuel economy. Thanks!!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic?

Fuel injector cleaners do not have that great of a reputation because

1) people are expecting their cars to outperform a Lamborghini and
2) most FI cleaners do not work well.

Many of the stuff on the market are kerosene based and that doesn't clean well enough. You need an effective ingredient like PEA, which very few cleaners have. My car doesn't misfire, run poorly, or felt like it lost power, but my mpg has gone up enough that I notice it.

No one is forced to run it, but for a measely $8, you either get some benefit, or you stay the same. If your engine is running slightly less perfect (even if you feel it's great), then the decrease in fuel economy will add up in the long run.

$8 is nothing
Old 11-09-10, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You can learn a lot about a product by looking at its MSDS. Folks that have researched and read the material safety data sheet (MSDS) of a consumer product are usually pretty accurate in their assessments of that product. That's because they have taken the time to actually research the product past the smoke and mirrors that is in product brochures and marketing hype that the rest of the general public typically quotes. Check out the MSDS on SeaFoam - stuff sells for $8 can....has about 35 cents worth of materials in it.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-09-10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-09-10, 08:02 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont use fuel injection cleaners and never had issues as either, knock on wood,hahahaaha. I ALWAYS use premium gas(top grade) in my cars. I was told once by a Lexus tech its no need to use fuel injection cleaners if you use the correct fuel. Not wanting to start a debate about this because I feel its what makes each owner feel at peace about there cars and isn't my right to tell anyone not to use fuel injection cleaners, saying this with the utmost respect ladies/gents. I want no debate that turns into an argument via computer!

That said, I never had issues with a fuel injector and would suggest any owner ask LEXUS pros if it is needed or if they can suggest what to use to clean their fuel injectors. I don't use fuel injection cleaners myself fellow members.Thats only because Im confident if I only use the best fuel I wont have issues besides normal wear and tear and replacing certain parts eventually is what car ownership is about. That said, using fuel injection cleaners must work because many hear use them. LGNM

Last edited by usermel; 11-09-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: many
Old 11-10-10, 11:20 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never use FI cleaner or premium fuel for any of my cars. Over the years, I've owned at least one LS from every generation and have racked up ~300k miles between them. I have never had an FI issue or engine knock , or any issue that is related to fuel quality. The engines for all of my LSs have always ran like new. The old cliche "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." has held up well so far in my case.

Has FI cleaner ever prevented an FI related issue? Who knows.
Has anyone ever had an FI issue and managed to solve it by adding cleaner? If every my engine shows the symptoms of a clogged FI, perhaps I'll treat my car to some FI cleaner.
Old 11-11-10, 04:49 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used BG44K in July with 183,000ish miles. Car has been a bit more responsive. I Just broke 190K yesterday, still running like a champ.
Old 11-11-10, 10:06 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Had the car a month and just put STP in mine, for $5 why not ?
I did it cause maybe the previous owner used low octane gas ??????

I think they are all the same - just a mild cleaner that won't do much harm or that much cleaning either - I mean what do you expect for a $ 5 cleaner, lol
The why-nots of bottled fuel injector cleaning (from various online sources):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...86#Post2053295

http://www.chevron.com/products/tips...?&aID=9&cID=13

"If you're a loyal buyer of exclusively Chevron gasolines, your car very likely is delivering its best possible performance and operating at its lowest possible emissions. A bottle of Techron® Concentrate, therefore, is not likely to provide any benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality gasoline, you should try Techron® Concentrate to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation."
(Replace "Chevron" with "TOP TIER" and "Techron Concentrate" with "fuel injector cleaner")

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...ning-is-a-scam

"I was discussing injector cleaning with some guys at an automotive vocational school, and they strongly do not recommend using the add-to-tank injector cleaners, because this will clean the tarnish from the fuel tank and entire system, and run it through your injectors, which can cause more harm than good."

"My mechanic says most modern gasoline formulations contain sufficient detergents to render regular fuel injector cleaner treatment superfluous and a waste of money, though he is not adverse to occasional use to address a specific fuel related problem. Excessive concentrations may damage rubber parts in the fuel system. It may also dissolve any dirt and muck in the tank and flush it into the fuel filter, clogging it. Some filters have a spring loaded bypass to maintain fuel flow, but the contaminated fuel may clog the injectors exasperating the problem you were trying to prevent."

"Injection cleaners are a waste of money if you always use, 100% of the time, a Top Tier fuel."
Note that Toyota/Lexus was one of the four automakers that developed the standard. Yes, most gas is the same until it gets to the local distribution point. The difference in gas occurs when the gas companies add their own additive packages prior to sending it out to their stations. This additive package is of higher quality in TOP TIER gas than in non-TOP TIER gas. TOP TIER technical specifications are at http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

"It’s a complete waste of money for folks who simply have way too much faith in the placebo effect. I’ve been in the auto remarketing business for over a decade and have yet to see any of my customers ever endorse the stuff. Even those who sell high end merchandise won’t touch it."

"BG products (they sell all kinds of mechanic-in-a-can stuff) are a complete ripoff- they sell their products through repair shops because the technician gets a kickback for everything he sells. The profit margin is obscene which keeps the parts department happy. The local Honda rep assured use he would deny any warranty claim where BG products had been used and directed the parts department not to even think about selling it (this was at a multiline dealership where BG was sold at other parts counters)."

"No manufacturer recommends fuel injector cleaning auto maintenance under normal operating conditions."

"You clean the injectors each time you drive your vehicle with the gas you use. injector cleaner is nothing but a scam. Glenn Beasley, Chrysler Tech"

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/ind...opic=4203&st=0:
"when you run any type of chemical that will "remove" debris from fuel lines and or tank it is bound to plug the fuel filter and the very small screen inside the injector. There is no way of cleaning that debris UNLESS you remove the injector, run it thru a reverse flush contraption which is very cost prohobitive for a dealer to have"

Last edited by StanVanDam; 11-11-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 11:25 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I guess all of that also applies to things like seafoam also. There is a chance that it will loosen debris as it cleans and might deposit it in another area of the engine which could cause more trouble that you started with.
Old 06-26-16, 02:42 AM
ShawCar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try Techron

I'm personally fond of Techron by Chevron. I have been using it for years since a mechanic friend of mine told me about an automotive trainer that comes to their shop once a year to update them on new products and techniques told them that of all the readily available injector cleaners Techron performs the best'

Check reviews here
Old 12-07-16, 08:20 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't run Top Tier gas, fuel cleaner might help. I've used Arco (premium) for years. Car has 104k and runs perfectly (28-30 mpg on freeway) filters are current, etc. Excellent throttle response. It's recently been a little less than "sewing machine smooth" at idle. When the tank was almost empty, added 6 oz of Lucas as an experiment. I've never used a cleaner and really didn't expect any improvement. Drove 10 (freeway) miles and the engine is back to "invisible idle". From now on, it's Top Tier premium fuel.
Old 12-08-16, 02:34 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment. Can't say I noticed any difference. I exclusively run premium fuels (minimum 95 RON, currently has 98 in it, either from Mobil or British Petroleum) so it might very well be $12 chucked down the tank for sod all
Old 12-08-16, 06:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I do think it's snake oil, and never bought because 2 of our cars are direct injection, but I saw Techron on sale at Costco and picked up a case of 6 I believe. Haven't used it yet, but did buy it for the LS.
Old 12-08-16, 06:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
If you don't run Top Tier gas, fuel cleaner might help. I've used Arco (premium) for years. Car has 104k and runs perfectly (28-30 mpg on freeway) filters are current, etc. Excellent throttle response. It's recently been a little less than "sewing machine smooth" at idle. When the tank was almost empty, added 6 oz of Lucas as an experiment. I've never used a cleaner and really didn't expect any improvement. Drove 10 (freeway) miles and the engine is back to "invisible idle". From now on, it's Top Tier premium fuel.
I use Costco and 76 when convenient, but BJ's Warehouse is the cheapest premium around. They even have an add'l 5 cents off until Dec. 31.

Food for thought, on my 98 Maxima SE, premium is recommended. I used regular and whatever was cheapest for 18.5 years. Only got a new knock sensor at year 16. I've been tempted to custom blend down to 91, since our premium is 93. With a full tank of 93, could burn up around 7 gal, and fill with regular 87, for 91 overall....haven't done it yet. I've always been told 91 satisfies the premium requirement as most of Calif. is only 91 anyway...
Old 12-08-16, 09:55 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I use Costco and 76 when convenient, but BJ's Warehouse is the cheapest premium around. They even have an add'l 5 cents off until Dec. 31.

Food for thought, on my 98 Maxima SE, premium is recommended. I used regular and whatever was cheapest for 18.5 years. Only got a new knock sensor at year 16. I've been tempted to custom blend down to 91, since our premium is 93. With a full tank of 93, could burn up around 7 gal, and fill with regular 87, for 91 overall....haven't done it yet. I've always been told 91 satisfies the premium requirement as most of Calif. is only 91 anyway...
By "top tier", I meant any best quality gasoline w/ additives which includes fuel cleaner.
Old 12-08-16, 10:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
By "top tier", I meant any best quality gasoline w/ additives which includes fuel cleaner.
Costco and 76 are Top Tier, if that's what you meant....

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner?