LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:01 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My door key lock doesn't lock/unlock the car. Anyone experience this? All locks work just not from the key slot.
Old 11-09-16, 07:47 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430cb
My door key lock doesn't lock/unlock the car. Anyone experience this? All locks work just not from the key slot.
Your door key lock system is attached to the actuator in the bottom corner of the unit. The key system fits into a round white plastic connector with a slot. This connector rotates and locks/unlocks the actuator.
My money is that the white plastic connector has broken.
Old 11-09-16, 09:09 AM
LS430cb
Driver

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
Your door key lock system is attached to the actuator in the bottom corner of the unit. The key system fits into a round white plastic connector with a slot. This connector rotates and locks/unlocks the actuator.
My money is that the white plastic connector has broken.
Is that piece repairable or do I have to buy a whole unit?
Old 11-09-16, 11:33 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

VR4 is probably correct but I got to ask, does the key turn at all? There is a possibility that the rod that connects the lock actuator to the door handle has popped out of the hole in the door handle. It's supposed to be held in placed by a small plastic latch. I would open the door panel and take a look inside to see. You can see what its supposed to look like if you view the bottom of the three pictures from this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9327149

In this photo the plastic clip has been disconnected from the rod (the view is looking up toward the door handle)...
Old 11-09-16, 05:24 PM
LS430cb
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
VR4 is probably correct but I got to ask, does the key turn at all? There is a possibility that the rod that connects the lock actuator to the door handle has popped out of the hole in the door handle. It's supposed to be held in placed by a small plastic latch. I would open the door panel and take a look inside to see. You can see what its supposed to look like if you view the bottom of the three pictures from this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9327149

In this photo the plastic clip has been disconnected from the rod (the view is looking up toward the door handle)...
Yes the key turns, I found out the hard way that it didn't work after my battery died. Had to call a locksmith to get in. I pulled the panel to look but didn't have the torx bit to remove the black cover that holds the lock and door cable. I pulled the rubber grommet on the edge of the door. Didn't see anything attached to the back of the assembly.
Old 11-12-16, 01:39 PM
LS430cb
Driver

I just noticed from watching videos that the key hole is on the drivers door. On my car it's on the passenger side, (could this be why it's not working?
Old 12-18-16, 03:10 PM
BryantE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KISMETSDAD
My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

I posted the tutorial at:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexu.../actuator.html

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
can u send a link to the tutorial it doesn't show upon
Old 12-18-16, 05:32 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BryantE
can u send a link to the tutorial it doesn't show upon
Unfortunately, this is a frequently asked question on this thread. It's been over three years since the OP logged into the site. However, if one would take the time to read through the whole thread there is some valuable information there.

If you go here, you will be able to see what text was posted in the linked article but you will not be able to view any pictures.

If you go here, you will be able to see another explanation on how to perform the repair. Good luck and let us know how it works for you...
The following users liked this post:
js058515 (05-06-17)
Old 01-10-17, 10:16 AM
NCUser
Driver School Candidate

I replaced FR and RR door actuators this weekend. This was my first time disassembling a door on any car. I took my time and followed the instructions from mark levinson thread and this thread, and some youtube videos on how door handles work. FR door was done in about 3-4 hrs. I had to disassemble everything second time and redo the lock cable because first time, I did not leave enough slack at actuator (too much tension in the lock). From that experience, RR door was done in 90 mins. The actuators from amazon are not louder than driver side doors. Happy that I had to only spend about $30.00 all-in including zip ties. Thank you everyone for the tips and photos. Especially post# 9450992 by airchomper. One think I did not have to do was remove the door handle screw hidden under the black cover.
Old 01-20-17, 12:20 PM
Kverma
Driver School Candidate

Hello - Newbie here with a 2004 LS430 in Toronto. My passenger rear door will not unlock due to the actuator issue. How do I open the door from the outside? Can we use the key to manually open doors other than the driver's door?
Old 05-05-17, 10:46 PM
Ather
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Lock Actuator Tutorial link not working

Apologies to reference an old thread but this is on the Sticky and I need to see a tutorial on how to do this. The left front door lock actuator is gone. I replaced the right one by the dealer and I would like to replace this one myself.

Thanks,
Ather
Old 05-06-17, 05:47 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ather I bought the motor then took it to a body shop they did the job in less then 1 hour charge me $50.00. Would not have it any other way. The only concern they had was not being responsible for cracking the case.
Old 05-07-17, 11:40 AM
Ather
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks lexman52. Will try that.
Old 05-19-17, 01:58 PM
LexusStu
Driver School Candidate

My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
Link appears to have been hijacked - leads to what looks to me like an advertising site. How can I get to the excellent video and write up to which this posting refers?
Old 10-18-17, 10:44 AM
RVHines
Driver School Candidate

Default New Link for Lock Actuator

Thanks for the info. Are you able to re-post the instructions on a revised link? The one above is no longer valid.

Thx.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial