Front tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 07:51 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front tower brace?

Hey Guys,

So it has been about 2 months with the 430. I really enjoy this car. It handles surprisingly well, for a luxo barge, or should I say has decent grip, because the handling we all know could definitely be improved upon. My now beater car is a nissan maxima, (hardly comparable I know) but I did a suspension overhaul via mild drop with H&R and tockico illuminas along with a front tower brace, after which this 12 year old grocery getter handled about 85% as good as the IS 250 loaner I had recently, which to my limited experience was pretty impressive.

I by no means am I crazy driver, but I do like to have fun once in a while and punch it. Now, with the LS having a nice amount of zip, I would like to clean up the handling a little bit. I will NOT be swapping out any suspension parts on this car. However, I would entertain the idea of putting a front tower brace on the car to stiffen it up a little bit.

On my max, I put a strut brace on that cost me about 50 dollars I believe, so it was really nothing to expensive so I figured " why not". Now with the LS, the cheapest and ONLY one I have found is this one. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=275 It is pretty expensive for a part like this. I would consider it if it was a worthwhile upgrade as a stand alone piece, but if not, I can spend my money on better things.

As well, I don't need the dealer complaining about it or weaseling me out of warranty because of it. Any advice? Why so expensive? Is this the same as a strut tower brace? Or is it something similar, but designed differently to be more effective? Any cheaper options?

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 02-08-10 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 01:58 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with you , I have been looking into this as well , I have a 2004 LS430 w/ sport suspension and i feel it needs some chassis bracing , These parts are very expensive , I wonder if it will be worth the money?
Old 02-09-10, 06:59 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by snakehead
I am with you , I have been looking into this as well , I have a 2004 LS430 w/ sport suspension and i feel it needs some chassis bracing , These parts are very expensive , I wonder if it will be worth the money?
Yeah exactly, With the Maxima, it cost about 700 dollars total to upgrade the suspension., and this was with quality parts! Literally pocket change in the grand scheme of things and the cost to benefit ratio was off the charts. EASILY the best money spent on the car. After rims and lower profile tires, the car handles waaaay better than anyone expected it had a right to. but 450 simply for a piece that may or may not even translate into added performance is scary.

I really don't want to change the personality of the car, just want to improve what's already there. If i want to take corners, I'll take out the Maxima. I'm surprised that there isn't any more information about strut braces for the LS. Do you think that maybe they skipped this part because they wanted a little flex? who knows, I'm probably talking out of my ...
Old 02-09-10, 12:51 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately not enough people want to make the LS handle like it should. When you try to find upgrades you are really limited. I have Tom's strut tower brace on my UCF20 (under the hood) and the difference it makes is substantial. This particular part you reference bolts to the undercarriage. While I do not have this for my UCF20 (discontinued) I would buy it if it were available. Tom's is first class.

I can't believe it would void any warranty as it is only to stiffen the assemblies. My STB was very expensive as it (and this part) is made in Japan and must be imported.

Have you considered using poly bushings on your sway bars? Energy makes replacements that come with grease ports to eliminate squeaking. This is a very inexpensive upgrade (less than $50) and also a noticeable difference.

Last edited by steveski; 02-09-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 05:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski

Have you considered using poly bushings on your sway bars? Energy makes replacements that come with grease ports to eliminate squeaking. This is a very inexpensive upgrade (less than $50) and also a noticeable difference.
Do you have any information on this for the LS430?
Old 02-09-10, 05:12 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=275

As well, I don't need the dealer complaining about it or weaseling me out of warranty because of it. Any advice? Why so expensive? Is this the same as a strut tower brace? Or is it something similar, but designed differently to be more effective? Any cheaper options?
in that same site, look for the LS430 oem sport sway bar for rear along with upgraded bushings. Those are in the $100 territory
Old 02-09-10, 09:05 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
On my max, I put a strut brace on that cost me about 50 dollars I believe, so it was really nothing to expensive so I figured " why not". Now with the LS, the cheapest and ONLY one I have found is this one. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=275
Based on the above, and your title post "front tower brace?" it appears that what you are looking for is

https://statustool.central.sun.com/app

and not the lower brace that you referenced and describe.

Hey, it is $22 bucks cheaper
Old 02-09-10, 11:16 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know Tom's is the only available STB (front) for LS and my GS350. It is way too expensive for a piece of metal, it's too bad not enough demand to bring more competition to the table. In my opinion, $250 should top the best STB.
Old 02-10-10, 07:35 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Based on the above, and your title post "front tower brace?" it appears that what you are looking for is

https://statustool.central.sun.com/app

and not the lower brace that you referenced and describe.

Hey, it is $22 bucks cheaper
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the part when I looked at it, it did look kinda odd! :-) The link you posted does not seem to work for me.
Old 02-10-10, 08:30 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Do you have any information on this for the LS430?
I don't but will try to find it for you if somebody else doesn't chime in. All you need is the O.D. of the OEM front sway bar. This will give you the size of the poly bushing to buy from Energy. They sell universal poly bushings at autoparts stores (Auto Zone) designed to fit any application. This is what I did for my UCF20 both front and rear. I did have to slightly modify the bracket to fit in the OEM location. This was very easy to do with a pair of pliers.

Steve
Old 02-10-10, 10:48 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by steveski
I don't but will try to find it for you if somebody else doesn't chime in. All you need is the O.D. of the OEM front sway bar. This will give you the size of the poly bushing to buy from Energy. They sell universal poly bushings at autoparts stores (Auto Zone) designed to fit any application. This is what I did for my UCF20 both front and rear. I did have to slightly modify the bracket to fit in the OEM location. This was very easy to do with a pair of pliers.

Steve
gotcha! thanks for the info