LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is There a Rear Sun Shade Reverse Override Trick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 01:02 PM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is There a Rear Sun Shade Reverse Override Trick?

I am curious to find a way to override my systems so that the rear shade does not go down automatically when you put the car in reverse. Has anyone ever figured out how to do this possibly?

I would still like to have the option of manually raising and lowering the shade by using the button on the console.

thanks!!
Old 11-17-09, 10:01 AM
dan812
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question - I would like this answer as well if anybody knows
Old 11-17-09, 11:56 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any particular reason why you want this done?
Old 11-17-09, 12:04 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for the relay module. then cut the reverse trigger input
Old 11-17-09, 12:15 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

thats like trying to drive at night with out your headlights on! : )

I don't see much of a point to it. I think it's kinda a cool feature actually. People trip out when they are in the back seat and I go into reverse.
Old 11-17-09, 05:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool feature but i can admit to it being annoying at times when after you come out of reverse before the shade gets halfway down is wear and tear on an expensive part. An override feature would be helpful tho. Another very minor hiccup like the auto headrest raising that drives me crazy.
Old 11-18-09, 09:05 AM
dan812
Rookie

I dont like the automatic feature to lower the shade when in reverse. If I want it down, I will put it down. I do not want to replace it sooner than needed.
Old 11-18-09, 09:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rear shade up all the time is called 5% tint for the rear window.
Old 11-18-09, 10:01 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

why would you want to do this? the reason for it dropping is so that you can clearly see while backing up
Old 11-18-09, 10:10 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Cool feature but i can admit to it being annoying at times when after you come out of reverse before the shade gets halfway down is wear and tear on an expensive part. An override feature would be helpful tho. Another very minor hiccup like the auto headrest raising that drives me crazy.
I can agree w/ you, i used to think the same thing, i can see through it still...my concern was the wear and tear....everytime i wanted it up....it would go back down......then put it back up....I figured it would wear faster that way.....but if it was dark then I could manully put it down myself......its not hard to see through it during the day.....
Old 11-18-09, 10:25 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been meaning to look for the relay wire or another way to disable the automatic feature myself. I don't like it going down for no reason either. I can see through it just fine with it up, PLUS I have 2 mirrors and a back-up camera. Why would I need the shade down? I have probably a hundred thousand miles on straight and articulated trucks with no rear window and of course no back-up camera, so I'm confident I don't need the perforated shade down just to back a car out of my garage.
Old 11-18-09, 01:36 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I hate the auto reverse sunshade, fyi if your sunshade does out its about $1300 for a new one
Old 11-19-09, 05:32 PM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I would like to disable this is because I'm in and out of my car many times during the day and everytime I have to back out of a parking space, it drops, and I have to put it back up. So, my concern--like others, is wear and tear. I live in Florida and its hot and bright so I need the shade up all the time during the day. If I could manually lower/raise it, I'd lower it only at night.

If anyone actually knows where these relay swtiches are, please tell. I do not have a wiring manual for this car.

Thanks again to all those with input. I'm really loving this forum.
Old 11-19-09, 05:41 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pizitz70
The reason I would like to disable this is because I'm in and out of my car many times during the day and everytime I have to back out of a parking space, it drops, and I have to put it back up. So, my concern--like others, is wear and tear. I live in Florida and its hot and bright so I need the shade up all the time during the day. If I could manually lower/raise it, I'd lower it only at night.

If anyone actually knows where these relay swtiches are, please tell. I do not have a wiring manual for this car.

What are you driving??
Old 11-19-09, 08:01 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pizitz70

Sounds like you could use some good window tint for heat/light rejection. I use 35% here in AZ (not too dark, so the sunshade still has some purpose).

Quick Reply: Is There a Rear Sun Shade Reverse Override Trick?