LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 w 180k miles too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 11:36 AM
jeffbayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 01 UL with 240k for $5k. Bought it from a good friend, and spent an hour with Lexus looking at every service since it had 4 miles on it. my friend was a salesman who traveled a bunch but was meticulous about maintenance, so it got EVERYTHING it needed. high mileage doesn't scare me... i've actually never owned a car with less than 100k... I agree with mike- offer 6500-7000, if no, then walk away.
Old 04-15-09, 01:40 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Buy it if you want a DIY project

If the car checks out mechanically, like having a compression test done, no leaks or smoking and no body damage AND you are a mechanic with the time and energy to fix it if it breaks using salvage parts including possibly engine or tranny swaps, then go for it. Also, don't buy it to be the only car you have to drive.

Old 04-15-09, 02:04 PM
Rob Daman
Rookie

The guy hasn't gotten back to me but I just found a 01 w 129k for $11k. Mark Levinson/Navi is the option. Guy seemed to be more meticulous since he's in real estate to take clients around. I may just grab that one if it's clean.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-15-09, 03:08 PM
Rob Daman
Rookie

Got an update on that 180k car. Seller sent me pics and it's not a Ultra Luxury edition. Car has definitely been driven looking at the shape of the body. Minor scuffs.

I think i'll pass on it.
Old 04-15-09, 03:27 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile This one sounds more stable!! But....

Originally Posted by rcantu
The guy hasn't gotten back to me but I just found a 01 w 129k for $11k. Mark Levinson/Navi is the option. Guy seemed to be more meticulous since he's in real estate to take clients around. I may just grab that one if it's clean.

Thanks guys.
....still shop around a bit. There are many good deals out there just be patient. In support of the real estate agent, the car will be more likely to be in good shape because agents use there cars as a part of what they do day to day. More likely the services are up to date as well. Also, the amount of miles matter but, only if the car has been beaten up.

Real Estate agents don't tend to be abusive to there cars being there vital to there business!! May be a good buy if services/history checks out. Dealers can use the vin# to check service history of any Lexus serviced at a Lexus Dealer!!!
Old 04-16-09, 05:57 AM
AtlGator
Driver School Candidate

Default Another high mileage LS430 (140K - am I nuts?)

In the same thread, I'm considering a 2002 LS with 140K. One owner, dealer maintained/all service documented to 100K then went quiet on their records. Last 40K, who knows.

Ultra luxury. Tempting.

$12K is my price in Atlanta.

Will be my daily driver. Will be stored outside at night. Will be dinged up soon in Atlanta parking lots.

Am I nuts to consider a one-owner car with such high mileage or are these Lexuses as "bulletproof" as people say?

First post! (I currently drive a Saab 9-5 Wagon from 2000, with 94K. Cost me over $6 in maintenance/repair last 3.5 years and not worth much to keep dumping into anymore.)
Old 04-16-09, 06:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlGator
In the same thread, I'm considering a 2002 LS with 140K. One owner, dealer maintained/all service documented to 100K then went quiet on their records. Last 40K, who knows.

Ultra luxury. Tempting.

$12K is my price in Atlanta.

Will be my daily driver. Will be stored outside at night. Will be dinged up soon in Atlanta parking lots.

Am I nuts to consider a one-owner car with such high mileage or are these Lexuses as "bulletproof" as people say?

First post! (I currently drive a Saab 9-5 Wagon from 2000, with 94K. Cost me over $6 in maintenance/repair last 3.5 years and not worth much to keep dumping into anymore.)
I would not necessarily be concerned about 140K miles on an LS430. I would feel better about it if I knew it'd been serviced at least according to schedule, if not more often. I would feel better about it if I knew that a lot of the miles were "highway" miles instead of low-speed stop and go city driving that puts about 4X the wear and tear on the drivetrain. I would also feel better about it if I knew the car had spent its life in an area of the country where the roads are relatively smooth (for example, NOT in the Chicago area LOL ) and they don't use salt on the roads in the winter. In my experience of owning about 40 vehicles in my life, the WAY a vehicle has been used and cared for is MUCH, MUCH more important than just the number of miles on the odometer.

IMO, the UL air suspension may be somewhat likely to give some trouble in the not-too-distant future if it hasn't already. There's a thread here about switching to conventional suspension at a reasonable price if needed.
Old 04-16-09, 10:19 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that service done on any car is key to buying used. Normal wear and tear can't be avoided forever. Paint will eventually fade or get chips because of the elements. Belts and hoses will wear as well. That said, buy what makes you comfortble.

Getting advice is great but, at the end of the day that voice in our mind tells no lies(at times,hahahaha) so if your unsure, be still(do nothing). If your certain about any particular car go for it. Not me telling you to purchase any particular car at all. All the best! L.G.N.M
Old 04-17-09, 03:41 PM
Rob Daman
Rookie

I have to rant now as I'm pretty livid.

I drove to see the 01 for $11k and I took my wife and 21 month old with me. Got stuck in heavy LA traffic to see it before the sun goes down.

I ask him his bottom line price and it's $10,650. Don't ask me where he got that amount but I went ahead and agreed to it. I didn't have much cash to give a deposit and he said no need so I was fine with it.

Well he called me this morning(9am) saying he feels that he may have priced it too low and others want to offer 11k. That's $350 more to what he told me he was fine with the night before.

I discuss that he should keep his word especially being a realtor and he's not a young guy. He's selling the car because his good friend passed away and gave him a CLS Benz so he's came up on top.

Guy calls me a few minutes ago and still wants that $11k! So now he broke his work twice. I can't believe people.

I'm contemplating to give in but he'll have to deliver it 60 miles as I don't know if he'll cancel once more if I'm on my way.

What do you all think?
Old 04-18-09, 08:22 AM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Lame, is what I call that,he must be a great person to buy a house from. I think this says alot about character and I would tell him to keep his lexus,and find one with less miles that some little ole lady owned.If he can't keep his word on price I would be worried about anything he says about his car!
Old 04-18-09, 08:40 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Play his game

Tell him that you have thought more about his car and feel you can only give him $10,500. If he accepts, send him a deposit for $100. on the agreed price together with a letter indicating the terms and that he has a clear title. Be prepared to take him to small claims court if the deal falls through.
Old 04-18-09, 11:47 AM
Rob Daman
Rookie

This guy doesn't want any less than his asking price and I even told him he should have just raised his price in autotrader.

On a side note I found a 04 LS for cheap but it sold this morning at a dealer. Actually I think people in So Cal are starting to make money cause all the nice LS I've looked out for have sold. There's a dealer just 1 mile from me that posted an 01 w 57k original miles. I'm feeling that someone already jumped on it. lol.

Thanks guys for your opinions.
Old 04-18-09, 12:49 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove to see the 01 for $11k and I took my wife and 21 month old with me. Got stuck in heavy LA traffic to see it before the sun goes down.

I ask him his bottom line price and it's $10,650. Don't ask me where he got that amount but I went ahead and agreed to it. I didn't have much cash to give a deposit and he said no need so I was fine with it.

Well he called me this morning(9am) saying he feels that he may have priced it too low and others want to offer 11k. That's $350 more to what he told me he was fine with the night before.

What do you all think?
If you're 100% certain you want it for $10,650-$11k range, tell him you'll take it for $11k, UNDER SEVERAL CONDITIONS.

A) Require HIM to take it to the local Lexus dealer, and have them do their "Certified/Preowned check" on it. I know it costs between $210-$250 for this check, because I had my LS checked out before I bought it...and took that inspection price OFF the price the seller was asking!
B) If there is anything suspect with their inspection report, then ALL BETS ARE OFF. If there's nothing major (in your definition of major), then you can proceed ahead with the $11k that he wanted.

This way, you will have piece of mind knowing how much life is left on the brakes, you will have a copy of ALL the service records printed out for you, life left on the tires, etc, etc! They will even write up where there are chips in the paint!

You never know what may be revealed by a Lexus inspection!!! The seller may NOT want it inspected (for whatever reason) and then agree to the $10,650 price that you wanted.

If that happens, then I would still be suspiscous of WHY the seller didn't want Lexus to inspect it.

Hope this helps! Let us know the outcome!

Ara

Old 04-18-09, 12:54 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow people are willing to pay 11k for 180K miles ? I guess I can get more since I have less miles.

any how, I say move on. 11k for 180K miles is not worth it since u can get one with about 120K miles for 14K.

MOVE ON !!! forget it. Not worth it.
Old 04-18-09, 01:23 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Author of confusion!!!

This guy doesn't want any less than his asking price and I even told him he should have just raised his price in autotrader.

On a side note I found a 04 LS for cheap but it sold this morning at a dealer. Actually I think people in So Cal are starting to make money cause all the nice LS I've looked out for have sold. There's a dealer just 1 mile from me that posted an 01 w 57k original miles. I'm feeling that someone already jumped on it. lol.

Thanks guys for your opinions.
Anything meant to be doesnt have this much confusion when it comes to car buying. I'll only say this once more. Don't buy this car, be WISE. At first I felt if you wanted to good ahead. Now after this thats a sign to move on. This isn't Harvard Law school or John Hopkins Medical School here, it's car buying!! Don't buy from this person in question be patient and continue looking dear sir!!!! L.G.N.M

Quick Reply: 2001 w 180k miles too much?