LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How did you lower your LS430 without spending too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 09:18 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question How did you lower your LS430 without spending too much?

I was thinking of lowering my 2001 LS430 after putting on some 18" rims to give it a better look. I want to know what is the best way to lower you car without sacrificing the comfort of the ride and what parts needs to be changed out? What brands did you go with, cost and riding issues answers needed. My LS is not an UL model and just the standard model.

DanozLS430...
Old 06-08-08, 09:25 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all depends if its a daily driver,
being my 01ls430 is a daily driver and its the standard model as well i decided not to lower
but i am getting 20's put on this week!!
Old 06-08-08, 09:46 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Default Lowering Options...

I would say that the most affordable way to lower your vehicle and still do it right would be to buy some lowering springs. Tanabe, Eibach, Tien, and a few others have options starting at about $250 and up. Of course, then you have to find an installer. That part of the cost will vary. With lowering springs all you basically do is have the struts removed and replace the factory springs with the new springs. You can lower your vehicle up to 1.5" depending on the springs you choose. There are other ways to lower your vehicle but they are not recommended and aren't too safe. (Cutting springs, heating springs, etc.)
Old 06-09-08, 01:32 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tein S-tech or Eibach, just springs will only cost 200+ install.
Old 06-09-08, 02:59 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

So just swapping out the spring to a lower type will drop the car about 1-1.5 inches? Not too bad for the pocket book. Should I replace the struts at the same time since it will have to be removed also to save on labor? It is kind of soft and my car sometimes bottoms out when I go over speed bumps slightly hard. My car is used as a daily driver and comfort is the main key. Any particular brand is better than the other?

DanozLS430...
Old 06-09-08, 08:07 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get Tein CS coilovers. Save up and do it right the first time. Good luck.
Old 06-09-08, 08:35 AM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

you can buy my Tein CS ver.1 im selling for 500!
Old 06-09-08, 09:51 AM
TRC
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone lowered a non UL LS430 recently (last month or so). I had someone look into coil overs and springs alone and was told that Tein no longer makes a coil over setup for the LS430. I believe Tanabe still makes the Sustec Pro Five coil over which is $1,240.

I looked into getting springs alone since my car only has about 17,000 miles on the original struts and was told that the only company that makes springs for the Lexus LS430 is Tanabe (Sustec DF 210 and Sustec NF210).

If anyone can confirm differently, please reply.
Old 06-09-08, 10:43 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherLS
you can buy my Tein CS ver.1 im selling for 500!
^^^ Good deal right here (assuming they're in good condition). You can install them yourself -- pretty simple install, IMO.
Old 06-09-08, 11:06 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

This is some info I got over the internet:
On a car with struts, a coil-over strut allows you to adjust the HEIGHT of the vehicle. It incorporates a threaded sleeve that fits over the strut, with spring perches you can move up and down. In most cases, these units also require special springs. On a car with shocks, a coil-over shock will do the same thing, allow you to change the height of the vehicle some, and in some cases, add some support when you have eliminated the factory leaf or coil springs. The down side to coil-over struts is they are a pure racing suspension setup, requiring setup time and adjustments. On a daily driver, it can be rough riding and high maintenance. If you do not own a set of scales to properly set the car up for a particular track or use, their use can be very limited in the real world. Be sure your shop or mechanic who installs coil overs knows how to set them up properly.

Does coil over struts need any maintenance? My you car is a daily driver and I want it to stay that way and also keep the LS comfort? Maybe by adding lowering springs is the way to go. I need more feedback and info from users. Please reply.

Thanks, DanozLS430...

Last edited by DanozLS430; 06-15-08 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 11:06 AM
RocKrawler
Driver

Might want to check this out... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=360301
Old 06-09-08, 11:35 AM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
This is some info I got over the internet:
On a car with struts, a coil-over strut allows you to adjust the HEIGHT of the vehicle. It incorporates a threaded sleeve that fits over the strut, with spring perches you can move up and down. In most cases, these units also require special springs. On a car with shocks, a coil-over shock will do the same thing, allow you to change the height of the vehicle some, and in some cases, add some support when you have eliminated the factory leaf or coil springs. The down side to coil-over struts is they are a pure racing suspension setup, requiring setup time and adjustments. On a daily driver, it can be rough riding and high maintenance. If you do not own a set of scales to properly set the car up for a particular track or use, their use can be very limited in the real world. Be sure your shop or mechanic who installs coil overs knows how to set them up properly.

Does coil over struts need any maintenance? My you car is a daily driver and I want it to stay that way and also keep the LS comfort? Maybe by adding lowering springs is the way to go. I nedd more feedback and info from users. Please reply.

Thanks, DanozLS430...
every manufacturer has different coilovers for different applications such as...drift, track, auto-x so they all vary with dampening and spring rates...the tanabes i believe 2 members have them, they ordered it with a different spring rate in the back for a more softer ride, i believe their s/n are motohide and mikemareen

Teins... they make the comfort sports which dont lower the vehicle dramatically, but retains the factory ride, or even smoother
Old 06-09-08, 12:59 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
...Does coil over struts need any maintenance? My you car is a daily driver and I want it to stay that way and also keep the LS comfort? ...
I've had the Tein CS on my LS430 for about 2 years or so. No mtce. requred at all, IME. I can't say what they'd have felt like with the factory wheels and tires, but I THINK they would ride just as "smooth" on the softer valve settings.

That said, if you want ALL (or even MOST) of the LS comfort, you're going to need to stay on the factory wheels/tires, (or something similarly comfort-oriented). Lower profile performance-oriented tires WILL substantially harshen the ride. There are always those people who, via that good ol' internet magic, have managed to switch to 235/20/20's and not sacraficed ride or comfort, but you best not bet on yours working out that way if you live out here in the real world with the rest of us.
Old 06-09-08, 03:24 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the tanabe pro 5 coilover is a good choice for the ls430, and they are very well priced.

IMO the tein's are way too expensive for being one way adjustable coilovers (since they have raised their prices) .
Old 06-09-08, 04:29 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Hey if you want a nice drop with no rub and a stock ride get a SS kit either youzealand or junction produce you can't go wrong.