choiceISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Great info
Old 04-18-13, 04:51 PM
ECUJeb
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to say thanks to those that provided info on fixing the console lid. Since my purchase, I have had to basically use two hands to open my center console. One to push forward and the other to open the latch. I was able to fix mine without totally removing the box from the car.

I unbolted it and removed the 10 or so little screws that hold the leather cover to the plastic lid. I removed the latch as well. With all of those out of the way and with a small ratcheting screwdriver I was able to tighten 3 out of the four hinge screws. The 4th has fallen out. I found it and tightened it as well. Now that everything is back together the lid works flawlessly!
Old 07-27-13, 08:26 AM
jrnevils
Driver School Candidate

I would like to add my thanks. Fixed mine today in about an hour. Would never have figured out how to without this info. Cheers!
Old 07-28-13, 09:45 AM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnevils
I would like to add my thanks. Fixed mine today in about an hour. Would never have figured out how to without this info. Cheers!
no problem, thanks for the comment
Old 07-29-13, 08:06 AM
john339
Driver

Amazing how many people you have helped, me included.
Just another thank you for the help.
Lot's of money being saved with this one thread.
Old 07-29-13, 11:02 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I also just recently did this, thanks.

The reason I finally got around to it was I noticed the cold AC was "escaping" out the sides of the console, even when the rear vents were closed. Now it's sealed up nice and tight after the fix. Also amazing how much nicer it is to be able to open it with one hand.

I will say though it wasn't a fun job, I felt like the inner console was going to break as I was pulling it out, and it's tough to get your hands in there to unsnap the harnesses.
Old 07-30-13, 05:51 PM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john339
Amazing how many people you have helped, me included.
Just another thank you for the help.
Lot's of money being saved with this one thread.
thanks john for the comment, have a good one
Old 09-28-13, 02:33 PM
zindallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was able to tackle this without removing box

Thanks to everyone on this thread - you all have been immensely helpful to me in tackling this job.

I was able to tighten the 4 screws (3 had completely fallen out), along with #6 locking washers ($1.04 from Home Depot) which hopefully will hold them in permanently, without having to remove the box.

Pushing the seats forward and removing the small screws that hold in the leather top gave me sufficient access. It was a little tight getting a screwdriver on the hinge screws but with a little effort and only a few 4-letter words managed to get the job done.

Lid works perfectly now.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Z
The following users liked this post:
Desperado9 (06-16-20)
Old 01-23-15, 06:55 AM
blematta
Driver School Candidate

Default For those of us less mechanically talented

My dealer's service department (Lexus of Wayzata, MN) removed the console and tightened the (very loose) screws for what I thought was a very reasonable $65, after I told the service adviser I knew what both the problem and the solution were.
Old 03-07-15, 12:32 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Another "THANKS" for this thread! Got another center console fixed. The only place I got snagged was the 3-4 minutes it took me to realize I need to take out ALLl those little black screws that run around the edge of the underside of the lid and holds the actual arm cushion to the tray portion.

Old 08-30-15, 05:53 AM
Daddeo
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 Center console repair

Originally Posted by sigers98
****As one member found out, DO NOT use locktite for this fix.*****

Had the same problems on two of my cars, both LS430,here is a fix if the lid will not open, or needs a push from the back to open, or the lid feels loose
dealer remedy is replace $940.00

You need to remove the box for this repair.

Open the lid, take all your stuff out, remove the bottom pad, under this there are bolts, remove these.

With the lid open look to the rear, and you will see the air vent, this just lifts out, remove it, and you will also see more bolts, and one screw, remove these, the bolts also have captive nuts,these tend to fall out when you remove the bolts, just get some pliers, press the clips together.

The box is ready to removed ,put a cloth or towel around the shifter area, as when you remove the box, it may mark or scratch the wood, you may need to wiggle the box to get it out, but it will lift up.

Do this from the REAR seat, take a flash light with you, as when the box lifts up, there are two connectors you need to disconnect, one is the cig lighter, the other the light, so as the box starts to lift, look under, you will see the 2 plugs, take them off, there are pressure points on the clips to disconnect, once this is done the box is free to remove.

When you have removed the box, make sure you lay it down on towel, or cloth as not to mark the top, turn it on its lid, you will see a series of small screws all around the dark plastic, these have to be removed, along with the latch, as there is a screw underneath.

After this, the 2 half’s will not totally separate, but that’s ok, this is enough to work on.

Now look for the main 2 hinges to the lid,you will see its held on to the main housing with 4 golden colored bolts/screws, these are loose or have fallen out, tighten them, start to assemble in reverse order.

The whole job takes about 40 mins

thanks

This thread was very helpful for me to remove and repair my center console on my 2005 LS430, I had the same problem as others, when I removed the console and took arm pad off the 4 phillips screws holding the arm pad to the hinge were loose and just needed to be tightened. I also had to replace the latch since the misalignment caused the latch to break. The latch cost around 40 dollars. The latch part number is 58908-12080 if anyone needs that.
Old 09-06-15, 01:12 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just did this to mine. My loose screws weren't gold but chrome. all is well though!! thanks
Old 09-07-15, 12:16 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys - Another happy console lid fix reporting back.

I was tempted to punch a hole to access the culprits and make it possible to re-tighten at will. But I didn't do it.

Actually, one of the silver screw can be accessed directly by popping the lid for the hinge. And punching a hole for the other one would have been really easy.
Attached Thumbnails Center console lid fix-ls430-console-lid-culprit-b.jpg  

Last edited by Yaff; 09-07-15 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 07:13 PM
JHC828
Driver School Candidate

Chrome screws for me, too. Thanks for this write up! Console opens and closes as it should now. Also, makes the air blow into the back of the car instead of through the sides of the console. Took about 20-30 min total. 2 screws were very loose, about to fall out, and the other 2 were loose as well.
Old 01-30-16, 08:01 PM
Jeckyl
Driver School Candidate

I was very pleased to run across this thread as my ls430 had the same issue. Notice I said HAD. Thank you for the instructions on where to begin with this as I was unable to open the lid without using two hands and pushing from the back. When I got it all apart, found that two screws had completely come undone, and the two remaining were very loose. Got it put back together and couldn't be happier with the fix.

Certainly pleased that I was able to do this myself and save some cash.

Quick Reply: Center console lid fix