LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nav 6.1 Override

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 12:47 PM
tkrussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav 6.1 Override

Anyone got the Nav 6.1 Override sequence yet?
I know it is different from the old 4.x/ 5.x sequence.
Really would be nice to input destinations while on the go.
Thanks
Old 07-08-07, 05:26 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

They removed that feature in 6.1
Old 07-09-07, 02:30 PM
Sir Topas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airtime
They removed that feature in 6.1
Is this confirmed?

I'll be so bummed if it is; I was hoping that it still existed but was just kept under tighter wraps... How do you know for sure? Or are you just guessing based on the fact that nobody has come up with it in all this time?
Old 07-09-07, 02:34 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, let me rephrase. No one knows at this time if there are a manual override for it. Even using the lockpick doesn't work with the new 6.1.
Old 07-09-07, 07:08 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav Override

I can not believe this IS has been out for 9 months and no one has gotten this yet....what a bummer, there has got to be a way...I can just see some lexus tech (or who ever made the Nav)who designed the Nav Lockout, laughing at us....Maybe some more emails to the Lexus customer service address??
Old 07-11-07, 01:45 PM
lexusthai
Driver

My friend just bought a fully loaded 2007 Toyota Sienna with Nav, DVD and everything. He asked me to override the nav for him, to which i said no problem. I went searching on several Sienna forums.. found a few sequences. Tried them all, none of them worked. I *did* get to a hidden page but there was no override button.

Then I read a thread in a Sienna forum that Toyota got wise and eliminated the override function on their latest nav. system.

Geez.. what's the big deal?! Let us have what we want! Only our front seat passenger will be navigating.. we'll just stick to driving... promise..

But I am sure that there is still a way for the mechanics to override the system for maintenance/repair purposes.
Old 07-11-07, 07:06 PM
tkrussell
Driver School Candidate

What is the sequence for reaching the "hidden" page?
Every little bit helps in our quest.
Thanks
Old 07-13-07, 08:08 AM
lexusthai
Driver

Originally Posted by tkrussell
What is the sequence for reaching the "hidden" page?
Every little bit helps in our quest.
Thanks
Well, since 'every little bit helps' let's give you guys a few options. I don't know if these work... but the first one did (worked, as in got to the "hidden" page, but no nav options there)

#1 go to info screen then hit the display button. tap up and down on the left side of the screen just inside the border of the display screen top and bottom just keep tapping and the service menu will come on. it will show a service menu and then the override menu is on the navigation settings. (From Tundra)

#2. 1st touch the 'Menu' button
2nd touch the 'Volume' button
3rd touch the top left corner of the screen, then the bottom left corner, the top left corner again and finally the bottom left corner.
This will get you to the service screen where you can press and hold the 'Override' button until you here a beep.
Hit the back button a couple of times to get to the normal screen and away you go. (This is also from the Tundra forum)

The first method: I found this on a website while browsing the web via my Blackberry. Unfortunately I did not bookmark it, so I can't go back to that page. but you know how on the LS430 ver 4.1 you hit top-left, bottom-left top-left bottom-left then bottom-right.... you hit the invisible button hid in each respective "corner"

....in the Sienna I tried, it's a little different. I remember getting to a screen, don't know how I get there (probably the same way they did it in #1)...either I pressed DISPLAY or INFO .. but once I got there, I hit the top-left button and then bottom-left button "BUT" I didn't press the button at the corners as I do in ver 4.1... it's still top left and bottom left, but for the top-left, the invisible button is located "just" under the line...not at the very corner of the screen... the bottom-left button was also moved up by the same distance... I remember the instruction telling me to hit top-bottom-top-bottom repeatedly until a hidden screen shows up... and it did. but still, there was no override buttons there...

I tried and tried to override the system for my friend's Sienna... DID NOT WORK! I finally gave up and pretended that I never said that I could override it..
Old 07-13-07, 11:15 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the over ride button IS invisible and in one of the corner in the last screen???
Old 07-14-07, 08:38 PM
jeffsstuff
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus corporate to ask about this. They refused. They said it is a "safety issue" which is BS. The car is limited to 137 mph but I can't use the nav system. My passenger can't use the nav system, most of the bluetooth phone features and some of the audio features. This is crazy.

Because I complained, they promised to send me a $500 service credit. That still isn't what I want. What I want is the car that I paid for to work w/o limitations imposed by the maker (that weren't made known to me until after the sale).

There are several places to go to (and post your opinions) regarding this issue.

Jeffsstuff.com

http://www.lexusnav.com
Old 07-15-07, 02:27 AM
lexusthai
Driver

Well... here's a video of how to do it in '06 IS350... I think there are a few more nav override videos on youtube.com

Jeffsstuff! They're giving you a $500 service credit! I'm gonna call 'em too!
Old 07-15-07, 08:27 AM
jeffsstuff
Driver School Candidate

The $500 credit, I'm certain, is strictly to get me off their backs. They would not admit that what they did was unfair, wrong, improper, or anti-consumer (which of course, it is).

The override fixes that are online as of now (all the ones I have seen at least) don't work with the latest version of the software (6.1). They claim to have removed that.

No matter what Lexus gives me, I won't even consider another one in the future unless this issue is corrected. We have the right to use our cars as we see fit, within the scope of the law. The law doesn't preclude my passengers from using the nav system, so why does Lexus?
Old 07-17-07, 09:13 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by jeffsstuff
The $500 credit, I'm certain, is strictly to get me off their backs. They would not admit that what they did was unfair, wrong, improper, or anti-consumer (which of course, it is).

The override fixes that are online as of now (all the ones I have seen at least) don't work with the latest version of the software (6.1). They claim to have removed that.

No matter what Lexus gives me, I won't even consider another one in the future unless this issue is corrected. We have the right to use our cars as we see fit, within the scope of the law. The law doesn't preclude my passengers from using the nav system, so why does Lexus?
Good for you ! how did you get the credit, did you complain too much. A lot of vehicles from Lexus got poor rating for head restraints. Let them make those improvements if they consider Safety issues not for the $2000 gadget that does not work

Look at this postfor the override
Old 07-17-07, 01:34 PM
jeffsstuff
Driver School Candidate

I called and told them I was unhappy. I was persistent.
You have an advantage. You can tell them that you read on the internet about someone who got a credit because of their dissatisfaction.

Still, all I really want is for the unit to work... all the time.