LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Im Scared to Keep my LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 04:32 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigcory
is that a bumper to bumper, or drivetrain only?
It's pretty much bumper to bumper. It actually has MORE features built into it than the bumper to bumper warranty. Such as, you don't have to take it to a Lexus dealership, they will honor it at Toyota dealerships (if that's all that's around you, or you are traveling and its all that's around you).

Here is a scanned image of my Plat Coverage.

Last edited by IronCobra; 07-05-07 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 08:40 PM
jgrooms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I understand correctly, I can purchase either the gold or platinum warranty from my local lexus dealer for my 2001 LS430 that I purchased several months ago from an independent dealer? (Although I have a feeling there will not be much incentive for them to negotiate since I purchased the car elsewhere).

Also, I heard that if you do not use all or part of the amount you paid, the unused portion is refunded at the end of the warranty period. Is this true?
Old 07-05-07, 10:21 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgrooms
So if I understand correctly, I can purchase either the gold or platinum warranty from my local lexus dealer for my 2001 LS430 that I purchased several months ago from an independent dealer? (Although I have a feeling there will not be much incentive for them to negotiate since I purchased the car elsewhere).

Also, I heard that if you do not use all or part of the amount you paid, the unused portion is refunded at the end of the warranty period. Is this true?
I'm not 100% sure about the refund part. I know other extended warranties allow it but they tend to have a deductable where as Lexus does not.

Also, they have ALL the incentive in the world to sell it to you. Just like any other insurance or warranty, they are banking on you NOT having to use it and making a profit. The dealership makes a buttload of money from these warranties.
Old 07-18-07, 09:37 AM
tham430
Driver School Candidate

I have news for you, parts for all cars are somewhat expensive. These door actuators and such cost more because they're unique, and are not produced in great numbers. There are some parts you can get from parts stores other than Lexus, that are from the same manufacturers or built to specification but much cheaper. They even give the choice of several levels of quality as well. If you go with the top quality, it is still cheaper than what the dealer has. I will say, there are some items you can't get any where but the dealer, but there are a lot of items you can get through these outlets. I just had to replace the front ACC filter in my 01 UL, purchased it on-line for $26.00. One of the stores I use is on-line. Here is the web address: www.******************.com. The other part to your situation is, if you don't work on your car yourself, it's always going to be expensive. You can be driving a VW, but if you have to take it to the shop for repairs, the parts will be bad enough, and the labor will take you out! Hope this helps you.

TIM
Old 07-18-07, 11:47 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Tham,
I know that you save alot of money by working on it yourself so I try at all cost to do just that. But the problem here was that you needed to remove the panel(very expensive if you break it) and also you have to remove the double paned glass from the track to access the very complicated actuator. This in turn was not worth me risking the 180 dollar install fee. If the shop breaks it, they buy it. If I break the window or panel I will be out much more than 180 dollars. And also I have the easy closer doors which is a whole other can of worms. It has been fixed and it works fine now so I am over the situation I just hope the future repairs will be less of an impact.
Old 08-12-07, 10:25 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

badbrono ill take it off your hands or you wanna trade for a gs ??
Old 08-13-07, 06:08 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Lol Thanks but I love it too much. I actually had someone fall in love with the car and offer me what I paid for it 10 months ago and I turned it down. I hope to have many more trouble free miles with it.

Ed
Old 08-13-07, 02:48 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badbronco8
IronCobra,
Will they still sell me the warranty even though the car is out of 4 year Lexus warranty?

I believe you need to purchase the Lexus extended warranty before your original factory warranty expires. All the warranty information should be on the Lexus website.

Also, I found the contact to a Toyota dealer in Greenfield that was reselling the Lexus extended warranty at wholesale price. Do a search in the LS forum for extended warranty, those info should pop out.

Sorry, I don't have time to look up, or I would post the URLs.
Old 07-02-09, 02:13 PM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

I think it's too late for badbronco to purchase the extended warranty since his car is at 56k miles. The stipulation for my purchase was that it had to be under 50k miles. Of course, dealerships are privately owned so some places may be more lenient than others. It never hurts to ask.

Ironcobra
Dang! $1300 for the platinum warranty???? Argh... I'm too embarrased to mention how much I paid for mine. But at least every bit is covered.

Badbronco
The car is not prone to failure but if something on it breaks or needs replacing, it will be expensive...especially if you get it repaired at the stealership. If you can't purchase the extended warranty, become really good friends with someone who works at lexus as a tech, be very resourceful on the internet, find a good personal mechanic or something, save money just in case. Before you know it, a tune up will be right around the corner. Not to scare you or anything. Tidbit parts on the UL aint cheap unless you are resourceful or have money.

Extended Warranty saves you A LOT of trouble.
Old 07-16-09, 06:01 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to help, FYI; Recently i've been combing the lots for a couple of Lexus certified cars and wheeling and dealing. What i found out is Certification which gives any pre-owned car under 60K a full warranty - 3 yr/ 100K. When i negotiated beyond their bottom dollar they told me if you want the car cheaper take certification off "its $995" as they told me its what it cost them to certify a car.. Hope this helps..
Old 07-16-09, 11:51 AM
bonnsha
Driver School Candidate

Dont worry. you can go to many of the online sites and get genuine lexus parts at a substantial savings. When you call for the price als get the part number. I usually use lexuspartsonline to price the part. I actually have the same problem with my LS430 and I have 120000 miles on it. Usually if water gets in the door, it will short out that part. Thats what happened in my case. I do have the part number and i could give it to you. shoot me a private message then i can get the part number for you. You have a great car. As long as you viewed the maintenance records before you bought it and those records were good, then you will be ok. Let me know if you have any other questions. Name is sam here.
Old 07-21-09, 12:44 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

since you do have a UL man beware of them air suspension going out. i dont know when but 1200 a damn strut is WAY to much i rather just buy a whole new setup!
Old 07-22-09, 11:06 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Originally Posted by handoverfi
since you do have a UL man beware of them air suspension going out. i dont know when but 1200 a damn strut is WAY to much i rather just buy a whole new setup!

ohhh yea

I have 77K already on a 2003 ls430 ultra