LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 11:49 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Roc3b
From what I understand Lexus rotors are not turned. They are so thick that when the eventually do go that is it you have to junk them and buy new ones but you can get 150k out of a set. Elite out of Warwick RI does nothing but Lexus sevice and the owner, Jimmy explained that to me. He worked at Inskip Lexus for 15 years before opening his own place.
I was able to get a shop to turn/machine my LS400 rotors.
I've heard that on most German cars you can't do that though (BMW Mercedes) and I'm quite sure you can't do it on the newer Lexus cars.

I'm about up for a pad AND rotor change. Is swapping out rotors that difficult or should I just leave it for the dealer? And oil change is coming up in a few weeks

I need to get a lift.
Old 03-31-07, 11:25 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I'm about up for a pad AND rotor change. Is swapping out rotors that difficult or should I just leave it for the dealer? And oil change is coming up in a few weeks

I need to get a lift.
The rotors are just as easy on the LS430. I don't know about the LS4. Remove the brake pads as you would replace them. Remove the calipers, 2 large bolts. I believe they are 17mm or somewhere close to that. Set the caliper somewhere where it is not dangling by the brake line. The rotors will just fall off from there. If not, you will need hammer to know it out.
Old 03-31-07, 03:31 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Correction -- My Lexus dealer DID turn the rotors on the LS430.

The dealer is doing the brake pad change (all four) for me today (and oil).
Total is right under 900$.
I seriously got ripped off -- but under the circumstances I cannot argue.
Old 03-31-07, 04:09 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$900?! Good God!!!!
Old 12-21-07, 10:59 AM
Roc3b
Driver

I am finally going to do this...got the pads OEM off EBAY for $80 with shipping.
Old 12-21-07, 12:37 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Red face

The only issue I've run into regarding replacing the brake pads myself is a strange squeaking/slight grinding. This MAY be due to the fact that I didn't have the rotors machined (the car was @ ~48K miles). Other than that, everything works great, and I saved a ton of cash.

No question I'll have my rotors resurfaced the next time I do the pads...
Old 12-21-07, 12:47 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roc3b
I am finally going to do this...got the pads OEM off EBAY for $80 with shipping.
Roc3B, can you take step by step pictures on your swap out. I think this is the only thing missing from Moogy's great write up.
Old 12-21-07, 12:49 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by Moogy
The only issue I've run into regarding replacing the brake pads myself is a strange squeaking/slight grinding. This MAY be due to the fact that I didn't have the rotors machined (the car was @ ~48K miles). Other than that, everything works great, and I saved a ton of cash.

No question I'll have my rotors resurfaced the next time I do the pads...
Moogy, did you put any anti-squeal compond on the back of the pads? I remember seeing these item sold at the local parts store. Not sure if it really helps though.
Old 12-21-07, 01:07 PM
Moogy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airtime
Moogy, did you put any anti-squeal compond on the back of the pads? I remember seeing these item sold at the local parts store. Not sure if it really helps though.
Nah - I don't even know what that is.

Although it "feels" like the issue is more with the rotor than anything else.

You said "back of the pads" - don't you mean on the side of the pad that contacts the rotor?

I also feel a slight "grind" feel from time to time - I find that a bit odd, but don't get me wrong, I did install the brake pads perfectly fine. I'm guessing I just needed to have the rotors machined first even though they felt OK...
Old 12-21-07, 02:06 PM
bippU!
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sticky!
Old 12-22-07, 03:37 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by bippU!
Sticky!
2nd for sticky
Old 12-22-07, 03:43 PM
airtime
Racer

Nah - I don't even know what that is.

Although it "feels" like the issue is more with the rotor than anything else.

You said "back of the pads" - don't you mean on the side of the pad that contacts the rotor?

I also feel a slight "grind" feel from time to time - I find that a bit odd, but don't get me wrong, I did install the brake pads perfectly fine. I'm guessing I just needed to have the rotors machined first even though they felt OK...
Read it here. http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=11 or http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158411
Old 12-27-07, 09:50 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From someone who has done countless brake pad, and back in the day - brake shoe, changes on lots of different cars I would recommend never buying anything other than OEM pads. Aftermarket pads generally will squeek or squeel (anti-squeel on the backs of the pads helps but doesn't fix the problem).
Brake pad replacement even on a Lexus is as EZ as Moogy says. Replace the bolt, use OEM pads only and change the pads before you damage your rotors. If you do this there is no need whatsoever to replace or 'resurface' the rotors. If you've already overheated your brakes from hard driving or very steep mountain roads just replace the rotors as well.
One other thing - if you plan on selling the car within a couple of years you should probably take it to the 'stealer' to have the work done not because they will do a better job but because having the dealer do all your maintainence will make it easier to sell. Would you buy a LS430 that some clown "maintained" himself?! You and I know that the work you do is as good or better than the dealer but most people don't know that. If you plan on keeping it for a very long time then you should do all your work yourself and save a fortune.
Old 02-06-08, 11:53 AM
nrambhia
Driver School Candidate

regarding the brake sensors.... if the sensor has been cut, and the "Brake Wear" message appears in the display... Does anyone have details on how to re-solder the sensor, so that the message disappears?? I know you can buy new sensors, but each one costs about $75 it seems. Anyone deal with this yet?
Old 02-06-08, 06:03 PM
denroll
Driver

NO! Definitely don't do that; you won't be stopping at all.

The anti-squeal grease goes on the pad backing.

I usually take a soft bristle brush with some brake cleaner and go at the pistons in the caliper, then put a little dab of silicone grease around the perimeter of the pistons and on the guide pins to keep everything moving smoothly. Cleaning the pistons is important if you live anywhere where they salt the roads heavily. That crap will eventually pit the rotors and cause them to eff up the piston seals*. You SoCal boys can get away with a few little blasts of brake cleaner to knock off some excess brake dust.

*My other car (Volvo V70R), last winter my front left caliper decided to freeze up and stick in ~%50% braking power mode. While my wife had the car. And she drove it 10 miles all the way home. She came in complaining about reduced power in the car. I step out into the garage and smell the familiar smell of burnt brakes. Heat was still radiating off of the entire wheel assembly. Warped my new Powerslot rotor.

Quick Reply: Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE!