ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/271372-replacing-brake-pads-on-my-ls430-was-cake.html)

Moogy 03-18-07 05:11 PM

Replacing brake pads on my LS430 was... CAKE!

First, I want to extend a thanks to Tommy (lexiss_sc400) for answering any questions I had about replacing the brake pads myself. He gave me his phone number and was willing to talk with me on the phone to answer any questions I had. Very cool guy.

To open up, my 2004 LS430 now has all new brake pads.

:woohoo:

I cannot believe how easy it was. By the time I was on the last tire, it was taking me roughly 10 minutes from start to finish (including removing and remounting the tire).

The disc breaks "slide out" on the LS430, and that's what makes it so easy (you don't have to remove the brake mounting) - so for anyone who is considering paying a Stealership the ridiculous $600-$700 they're asking, you can do it yourself in roughly an hour (two tops for people who work a bit slower) and $110 (cost of OEM pads). All you need is a good sized flathead screwdriver, a C-clamp, and a small pin-sized screwdriver (for pulling the guide rod pin and removing the sensor 'clamp').

I highly recommend anyone needing a pad replacement do it themselves - it really is that easy. :)

Before you start, remember to take the brake fluid reservoir cap off

1) Remove the Tire
2) Remove the 'pin' on the guide rod that holds the break pads in place - put it where you can easily find out
3) Slide out the guide rod (this will cause the "holder" to pop off) and put it next to the pin (holder too)
4) Remove the pad on the inside of the rotor (slide out like a drawer)
5) *for sensor only* pry off the clamp to the sensor and slide it out (put clamp with pin and rod, etc.)
6) Take the C-clamp and clamp just a little pressure on the brake closest to you to push the pistons back just enough to be able to slide it out
7) Remove the 2nd brake pad
8) Take the large flathead screwdriver (leverage position) and SOFTLY/SLOWLY ush the pistons back as far as they will go (this makes room for the new pads and their size) Be sure you push on the metal part of the O shaped pistons, not on the rubber seal
9) Take the 2 plates that are against the old brake pads and put them on the new brake pads
10) Slide the new brakes (with the plates) back in
11) *for sensor only* put sensor back in and put sensor clamp back on
12) Place the "holder" back on and while holding it, slide the "guide rod" back through (remember head goes towards the back)
13) Put the pin back in the guide rod to secure it
14) Put the tire back on

YOU'RE DONE!

When you're done with all wheels remember to put the brake fluid reservoir cap back on.

...I think baking a cake is MORE difficult than this... Hmmmm...

ntran18 03-18-07 05:41 PM

Good job. Also help my parents with this. Amazing how easy it was. You don't need any big or special tools. This is a definite DIY, unless you don't like getting your hands dirty.

Roc3b 03-18-07 06:13 PM

Is this the same process for a 2001? I would like to replace my front pads and where did you purchase the pads from?

juniorEXE 03-18-07 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Roc3b (Post 2492211)
Is this the same process for a 2001? I would like to replace my front pads and where did you purchase the pads from?

Its the same.

I said it would be super easy ;) The sensor threw me off when I first saw it

Moogy 03-18-07 06:39 PM

I got the pads from: https://www.******************.com/

Lexus 2004 Japan (OEM) Brake Pad Set Price: $53.95 Qty: 1 Part #: N1010-146858
Lexus 2004 Japan (OEM) Brake Pad Set Price: $53.95 Qty: 1 Part #: N1010-146868

So it was $108 total... Lot better than the $700-$800 the stealership was going to charge! :)

Sad part is now I've done this, I could easily do a car in under 1 hour. At current dealer rates, that's $125.

I wonder where the other $475 goes when using a dealership? :(

Roc3b 03-19-07 08:12 AM

Thank you

I am going to tackle this project when we get a bit of warmer weather up here.

Thank you for the link...I think that you pay for the fancy lights, marble, and hot receptionist at the STEALER!:sai:

No special tools and remember to remove the cap on the brake resevoir, right?

Originally Posted by Moogy (Post 2492239)
I got the pads from: https://www.******************.com/

Lexus 2004 Japan (OEM) Brake Pad Set Price: $53.95 Qty: 1 Part #: N1010-146858
Lexus 2004 Japan (OEM) Brake Pad Set Price: $53.95 Qty: 1 Part #: N1010-146868

So it was $108 total... Lot better than the $700-$800 the stealership was going to charge! :)

Sad part is now I've done this, I could easily do a car in under 1 hour. At current dealer rates, that's $125.

I wonder where the other $475 goes when using a dealership? :(

Moogy 03-19-07 09:16 AM

Well the C-Clamp could qualify as a special tool (you only need a very small one) but honestly, I could have probably compressed the front piston with the screwdriver in order to pull the brake out...

CaptBud330 03-22-07 07:04 PM

Pads

That's fine about replacing pads. But what about the rotors. I assume the dealer cost includes turning the rotors.

Roc3b 03-22-07 07:41 PM

From what I understand Lexus rotors are not turned. They are so thick that when the eventually do go that is it you have to junk them and buy new ones but you can get 150k out of a set. Elite out of Warwick RI does nothing but Lexus sevice and the owner, Jimmy explained that to me. He worked at Inskip Lexus for 15 years before opening his own place.

GRAND_LS 4 03-22-07 08:18 PM

congrats on a job well done:thumbup:

wishihad1 03-23-07 07:33 PM

not true. rotors may be machined for many reasons. the service manual gives you runout measurement for this exact reason. aswell you must replace the bolt that hold your caliper each time you remove them, single use only,this also adds to the costs.

mannye 03-30-07 11:02 PM

If there is anyone in the South Florida area that wants to do this, I will volunteer to shoot step by step pictures so we can add photos to the already excellent description posted by Moogy.

I have never changed a brake pad on any car, but I'm not afraid of getting dirty. At the same time, I am sure there are a couple of little details that I would miss and then end up hating that I screwed up my brakes and now have to pay some schmuck to come and fix my bone-headed mistake!:sad:

I think if we can post pics, it will make it "cake" for EVERYONE!

Even if no one needs to do it their car, I will buy all the stuff for mine. It's coming up on 40K and I'll bet I'm close to replacement time.

Moogy 03-30-07 11:12 PM

Actually I thought the same thing - that there'd be something "more" or whatnot, but once you get the wheel off and examine it and get the first one done it's all cake.

Sorry I didn't take pictures... Sounds like you're the perfect person to do it! :)

mannye 03-30-07 11:30 PM

I would be glad to contribute! Especially considering that this site helped me get just the right car with all the great info I got. Took me a looooong time to finally pull the trigger, but I am so glad I waited till the right combo came my way!

PureDrifter 03-30-07 11:48 PM

anyone in SoCal is welcome to come over and use my tools while i take pics :)

you break it you buy it though :cylon: