LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What are the differences between 1st and 2nd gen LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 08:44 PM
BARK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the differences between 1st and 2nd gen LS400?

Hi all,

I am looking at importing a 1st gen LS400 from Japan into Australia, but should i be looking at a 2nd gen instead? Are there are major differences? Any assistance/information would be of great assistance.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 10-15-03, 09:40 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should do a search on these forums because there are quite a few threads that really go in-depth in regards to your question. I know because I came here with the same question once.. I don't remember all the differences, but for one thing there's more room in the back seat. The front grill is a little bid different. The taillights don't stretch the length of the rear... The second generation (I'm guessing 95-97, right?) is a little more modern-looking.. Worth the extra money, if you ask me.. For some reason, I actually like them best of all the LSs - even the current (except for the interior features).

If I'm mistaken and the 2nd generation is actually somewhere before 95, then there aren't really all that many differences... Atleast not enough to make you hold-off on what you're looking at now...
Old 10-16-03, 09:02 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, do a search and you will find a wealth of information in regard to this question.

My advise is to buy what you can afford. Even if you know the car has been maintained well still figure at least two thousand dollars US for any repairs that may come up.

Any LS is a good LS to buy .
Old 10-16-03, 09:10 PM
BARK
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I have since done a search and found oodles amount of information. From this i have a few questions relating to the 89-92 models though....

Anyone with a 1990-92 model, have they ever noticed their car being short on brakes at all as the 93 has larger discs and 4 spot calipers?

From what i have read i was unclear as to whether or not the japanese spec LS400's came with heated seats or not?

Lastly, the japanese models, the driver side has an 8 way elec adjustable seat and the passenger has a 4 way elec adjustable seat?
Old 10-17-03, 08:34 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone with a 1990-92 model, have they ever noticed their car being short on brakes at all as the 93 has larger discs and 4 spot calipers?
No. I have driven both first and second gen LS's and I couldn't tell the difference between the braking abilities. But yes, the sencond gen brakes are bigger.

From what i have read i was unclear as to whether or not the japanese spec LS400's came with heated seats or not?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that you should be able to find one with that option.

Lastly, the japanese models, the driver side has an 8 way elec adjustable seat and the passenger has a 4 way elec adjustable seat?
I think that's standard.
Old 10-17-03, 11:01 AM
Strida
Rookie

Bark, Australian importing rules states that you can import a vehicle that is 15 yrs old from the month and year the car was manufactured. Now if your going to use it as a track car only, then you can, but I dont think thats your purpose So i think you are limited to 89-90 1st gen model. Unless you want to wait 5 yrs to import the 2ndGen.
Old 10-19-03, 04:15 PM
BARK
Driver School Candidate

Earl! thanks for your replies!!

Strida, yes you are correct in your assumptions. Looks like i will settle for a series 1 LS400 and i think i will wait for a 1990 model.

On another note does anyone know if a workshop manual are available for these vehicles? I tried to source one last week in Australia but to no avail. Ideally i'd love to have a japanese manual in english!
Old 10-23-03, 09:03 AM
Vik
Driver

Originally posted by BARK
Strida, yes you are correct in your assumptions. Looks like i will settle for a series 1 LS400 and i think i will wait for a 1990 model.

On another note does anyone know if a workshop manual are available for these vehicles? I tried to source one last week in Australia but to no avail. Ideally i'd love to have a japanese manual in english!
I don't think you can bring Lexus to AUS from Japan... I did research on the same topic and there is no way you can get celsior in here (at least I couldn't find any). You are forbidden from importing any model that have local analog here. So you can bring Crown (bl##dy hard) but not Celsior. I gave up and bought 95 LS. Very happy so far

You can get repair manuals in english from the dealer but again it's not that easy. Ang gonna cost you hips (mine quoted $800 AUS).

What state are you in ?
Old 10-23-03, 09:24 AM
Lvangundy

1990 brakes are crap.

Find a 1991-1992.

93 is even better.
Old 10-27-03, 01:52 PM
BARK
Driver School Candidate

Vic, you can import the Celsior as long as it is older than 15 years, ie a 1989 model. If the vehicle is younger than 15 years, then yes you are right, it can't be imported into AUS.

Ouch $800 for a repair manual!!!

I am in South Australia, what state are you in?

Reason for importing a 1989 celsior is that they have lower kilometres than a local Lexus 1990 model and also come with bodykit and big wheels and are about $5k cheaper than local Lexus models!

Lvangundy i would love larger brakes, but i don't think i could wait another 2-3 years to import a 1991-1992 model though....
Old 11-22-03, 08:46 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

What improvements were done on the 91-92 brakes, than make them better than the brakes on the 1990s? The brakes on my 1990 seem fine.

Originally posted by Lvangundy
1990 brakes are crap.

Find a 1991-1992.

93 is even better.
Old 11-22-03, 09:37 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Nevermind. I just read on that familycar.com report that was posted here on the early LS400s that brakes were improved in 1991.
Old 12-01-03, 10:03 AM
lexchip
Driver School Candidate

Smile 1990 brakes

I am brand new to the forum. I joined the club because I want advice on upgrading my car's suspension and appearance and this club seems to be the most substantial. I have a 1990 LS and the brakes are the best I've ever had in a car. I guess that is a testament to the quality of these amazing cars. If the later generations have better brakes, I would be very much impressed.
Old 12-01-03, 02:52 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Default Re: 1990 brakes

I agree 100% and have been meaning to reply with the exact same response that you said.
I also recently bought a 1990 LS400 and the brakes are the the best I have ever had on any of my cars as well and I have owned a lot of Japanese and American cars. The brakes only require the lightest touch to bring the car to a fast stop and they are very smooth.

By the way- welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by lexchip
I am brand new to the forum. I joined the club because I want advice on upgrading my car's suspension and appearance and this club seems to be the most substantial. I have a 1990 LS and the brakes are the best I've ever had in a car. I guess that is a testament to the quality of these amazing cars. If the later generations have better brakes, I would be very much impressed.

Last edited by Shaffer; 12-01-03 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 03:02 PM
BARK
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

A couple of weeks i managed to test drive an Australian Lexus 1990 LS400. This was the first time i ahd driven one and i was blown away by the vehicle in every way. Firstly there was so much space inside the of the car, my girlfriends brother who is 6' actually had room to stretch out. The steering was so light for a large car, it was lighter than my two door vehicle. Then there were the seats, that were like sitting in a big comfy lounge. I could go on, but i am sure everyone reading this is nodding in agreement. Anyway i will be importing a Japanese model late next year and i can't wait!