LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air suspension not working at all. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 10:44 AM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension not working at all. Where to start?

Hi all,

I have just bought 2 1991 LS400's.
One with a good shell and 480.000km and one with a shell with some work but only 90.000km.

Now I want to fix the one with the good shell and later swap the engine and gearbox over.
But the air suspension of this one is not working at al.
I already swapped over 1 fuse (20A) and 1 fuse (40A) behind the battery, and the relay under the headlight.
Also swapped the air suspension ECU in the trunk. Stil not a single sign of life.

I am new to the LS400 and any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.s. is there a place for introductions?

Last edited by RA40; 10-17-16 at 07:48 PM. Reason: title adjustment
Old 10-17-16, 01:02 PM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

And the High/normal light on the dash is of!
Old 10-17-16, 01:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

First there is a switch behind the tool box in the trunk. Not sure if that is switched around if you have rh drive. Anyway just open to door and its there. Next would be hunting down all the fuses and the relays. Go to the lexls site and see the codes for the air suspension. More than likely its a fuse or relay because I think with the switch off the dash light still comes on flashes or something.
Old 10-17-16, 01:09 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceriel
Hi all,

I have just bought 2 1991 LS400's.
One with a good shell and 480.000km and one with a shell with some work but only 90.000km.

Now I want to fix the one with the good shell and later swap the engine and gearbox over.
But the A/S of this one is not working at al.
I already swapped over 1 fuse (20A) and 1 fuse (40A) behind the battery, and the relay under the headlight.
Also swapped the A/S ECU in the trunk. Stil not a single sign of life.

I am new to the LS400 and any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.s. is there a place for introductions?
What is A/S?
Old 10-17-16, 01:24 PM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
First there is a switch behind the tool box in the trunk. Not sure if that is switched around if you have rh drive. Anyway just open to door and its there. Next would be hunting down all the fuses and the relays. Go to the lexls site and see the codes for the air suspension. More than likely its a fuse or relay because I think with the switch off the dash light still comes on flashes or something.
The switch in the trunk is switched to "ON". And I cant seem to find an air suspension section with codes on lexls. Could you maybe give me a direct link to it?
I searched for Air suspension diagnostic codes but cant seem to find them. Is there a posibility do diagnose it?
For the fuses and relays, are there more then 2 fuses (20 and 40A) and more than one relay? If so where do I find them?

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
What is A/S?
Air suspension. Edited it
Old 10-17-16, 04:35 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
What is A/S?
If you would have read my post above you would have learned what it was!
Old 10-17-16, 04:51 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

There is a height control relay in the trunk near the ecu. And I thought there was a relay in the box near the battery as well.
Codes jumper Tc and E1 and read the flashing "NORM" light in the cluster. Too many codes to list here for now. Let me know what it is I'll look it up.

And until I get a sticky for the tech stuff I wanted to do, and was kind of promised by someone. Its a waste of my time to list all the codes etc. because no one can ever find the stuff.
Old 10-17-16, 05:26 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

This might help you some but things are all written in Japanese. It explains how to diagnose the A/S system for a JDM Celsior UCF11.
http://celsiorup.com/data/305_10airsus_diag.htm
Old 10-18-16, 05:11 AM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

So, I think its going to be a bit more complex.
Connected E1 and TC and put the contact to "ON".
Then "HI" lights up for a second and then goes out again. (Same as when I dont wire the E1 and TC). This happens with both the butten in "NORM" and "HI" setting.

So then the "HI" indication go out and stay out but TRC, CRUISE MAIN and ABS start blinking continuously. And nothing els happens.
Old 10-18-16, 07:02 AM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

Put the car on 4 jacks to put it up to a sort of normal height. Read this on the internet but did nothing.
Hardwired the pump and it is working like it should.
Also put the ECU in the other care along with the two fuses and relay. Other car works fine. So fuses, relay, ECU and pump should be fine.

So now I can not read any diagnostic codes because there is no dashboard light. That is the only thing I can see that is not working properly.
Anyone who can confirm that I am not missing out on some fuses or relays? I hate to get into the wiring....

So I will sum it up again, 20A and 40A fuse behind the battery, relay below the headlight, ecu in the trunk with the round thingy on it (Relay?).
Old 10-18-16, 03:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yes there is a relay near ecu in trunk. You need to get a schematic to trace all the connections and check for power and continuity.
Old 10-19-16, 09:19 AM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

So today i switched over the cluster. The light bulb from "NORM" was broken. So that is why it did not light up.

When reading diagnostics the "NORM" is continuously blinking. Does this mean there are no faults in the ECU?
Old 10-19-16, 03:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yes constant with no pausing is no codes. And if you did your work right you disconnected the battery before doing the cluster change and erased all the codes.
Old 10-20-16, 04:06 AM
Ceriel
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did. Did it again today to be sure. Did the switch in the back to make sure diagnostic reading is working and it is (Code 71).

Another thing I noticed was that when the car is running, the "NORM'' light is light up now. But when switching to "HI" nothing happens.
The light on the dash does not change to "HI".
So i swapped over the little switch board but also nothing happens.....

I am out of clues!
Where can I find a wiring diagram?
Old 10-20-16, 06:10 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

The code 71 simply means that the suspension switch in the trunk is off.

Quick Reply: Air suspension not working at all. Where to start?