LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 09:39 PM
LS400CE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Letting a shop order the parts boils down to this almost ALL the time.

You pay retail or over retail for aftermarket parts. Instead you can buy OE parts for wholesale prices. It's a no brainer.

Here is an example for you:

Many shops just use the Advance Auto Part, AutoZone, or Oreilly's of the world for their parts. If not they use Napa or CarQuest. Here are the O'Reilly compressors for your car: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/A!s!C+Compressor/02645/C0354.oap?keyword=ac+compressor&year=1996&make=Lexus&model=LS400&vi=1187513

The Murray is $729 with the clutch. And Murray is complete and utter junk. The Denso compressor from RockAuto is $271 complete. Denso is the OE for most parts on your car. Can your dad argue with that?

Also, the entire clutch assembly is still available from Toyota. The P/N is 88410-60410. It's the entire clutch with the bearing. It's only $160 from a Lexus dealer in Pembroke Pines, FL that I use a lot. Their website is LPPParts.com. If your compressor works fine and it's leaking I would just replace the clutch assembly. If you let them, the shop will rake you up and down the coals man. That's what they're in business to do.
after a full day of arguing with my dad about whether or not i should buy the parts myself and then let the shop install or have the shop do everything, he says the title is still under his name so we'll be doing it from the shop and that he'll pay fr it so that the argument ends lol. i paid him $1000 for the car a year and half ago, but never transfered the name on the title since we decided to not go through the troubles of putting a new name on the title and since my dad and I had an understanding that she is mine even if the title has his name. idk. he wants to pay for it, even though I've clearly outlined the more than significant savings from purchasing parts on my own. I can't argue with having repairs paid for and not having to spend $2200 of my own $$ but it's frustrating to me that he wont listen or do his own research on parts. idk. funny thing is he says "expensive." and still insists on letting the shop do everything (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ . I do however, thank you greatly for your help and everyone else's help on here and will be not informing my dad of future repairs until ive had it done and finished so he cant say anything....and ima look into having my name on that title instead of his now.

Originally Posted by dicer
No fan bearing huh? Then why was it wobbling in the video? Or was it all an optical illusion? It looked to me that it was about to fall off, I'd go check it my self if I was you.
haha that wasnt my video. that was a video soemone else had posted on youtube and had basically the same/smilar noises as I was hearing from the same engine bay areas. mine doesnt wobble that much. nowhere near that much. mine barely wobbles. However, i'll definitely take another look at mine when I see her again on friday.
Old 09-30-16, 02:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks, at least I trouble shot that one right on. And maybe could have yours too if the correct video was posted.