LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400 Steering Wheel Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 04:25 PM
MOLEXUSLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS400 Steering Wheel Emblem

Thread has been closed down.

Last edited by MOLEXUSLS; 09-14-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 06:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And if there is an active air bag under that shiny emblem and it goes off, that thing is going to fly at the driver at 200 miles per hour. That is totally unsafe.
Old 09-13-16, 07:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

With dicer on that. Imagine that emblem aimed at your face and neck being propelled at airbag inflation velocities.
Old 09-13-16, 07:49 PM
MOLEXUSLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
And if there is an active air bag under that shiny emblem and it goes off, that thing is going to fly at the driver at 200 miles per hour. That is totally unsafe.
Totally correct, that's why the emblem from the book is perfect; it's very light plastic. It looks like metal and is nice and shiny but it's really plastic.
Old 09-14-16, 05:57 AM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MOLEXUSLS
Totally correct, that's why the emblem from the book is perfect; it's very light plastic. It looks like metal and is nice and shiny but it's really plastic.
I am with you. I did the same thing from the Lexus Story also. GREAT IDEA! Also remember that the light weight design and relatively flat surface means it will probably not fly in a linear direction towards you in the event of an airbag deployment. It will probably fly off to one side.
Old 09-14-16, 12:09 PM
MOLEXUSLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bornking
I am with you. I did the same thing from the Lexus Story also. GREAT IDEA! Also remember that the light weight design and relatively flat surface means it will probably not fly in a linear direction towards you in the event of an airbag deployment. It will probably fly off to one side.
Exactly. 👍
Old 09-14-16, 02:52 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

couldn't you have just painted it? i'm sure they make a chrome-look paint that is easily applied
Old 09-14-16, 02:58 PM
MOLEXUSLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
couldn't you have just painted it? i'm sure they make a chrome-look paint that is easily applied
While painting it is possible, the factory emblem for 98-00 LS400 is bumpy and textured, so painting it wouldn't make it look satisfactory. (At least in my opinion). I think the process I used was the best to accomplish that final look and end result.
Old 09-14-16, 05:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So all the air bag studying I did, I found that people have lost eyes and also just had permanent eye injuries from the thin plastic cover that the air bag busts through especially aged units, since the plastic hardens and gets brittle.
By putting something on that cover and gluing it there as a permanent installation you alter the original designed rupture mechanics, as well as add a projectile to the mix.
If that added emblem is not made of soft foam rubber your playing Russian roulette with your face, eyes, main arteries in your neck, and your passengers as well, since it is unknown where its going to fly or disintegrate into. Just ride a motorcycle at 100 mph and have a normal little bug whack you in the face, now double that speed and you have what the air bag will toss at you even harder since its plastic and not a bug.
On another note, I like it and it looks very nice. But like for any other steering wheel change or add on, the airbag would be disabled.
Old 09-14-16, 05:59 PM
MOLEXUSLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
So all the air bag studying I did, I found that people have lost eyes and also just had permanent eye injuries from the thin plastic cover that the air bag busts through especially aged units, since the plastic hardens and gets brittle.
By putting something on that cover and gluing it there as a permanent installation you alter the original designed rupture mechanics, as well as add a projectile to the mix.
If that added emblem is not made of soft foam rubber your playing Russian roulette with your face, eyes, main arteries in your neck, and your passengers as well, since it is unknown where its going to fly or disintegrate into. Just ride a motorcycle at 100 mph and have a normal little bug whack you in the face, now double that speed and you have what the air bag will toss at you even harder since its plastic and not a bug.
On another note, I like it and it looks very nice. But like for any other steering wheel change or add on, the airbag would be disabled.
Dicer, thanks so much for your comments and detailed information. It is much appreciated. I will definitely look over the risks and go with the safest option.
Also, I appreciate your kind comments on the appearance of it. This is my first started thread here on Club Lexus and I look forward to many more.
Thanks again and Have a great day.