LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Contemplating purchase of '98 LS400: opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 01:58 PM
kyk007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contemplating purchase of '98 LS400: opinions needed

Hello everyone, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1998 LS400, Imperial Jade Mica. After scouring online for about a month, I found this one in Boise. I've talked over the phone to the owner, and exchanged several e-mails within the past week to my satisfaction. Car has been gently cared for and been taken to the dealer for all regular maintenance. It currently sits at 148K, and its service records indicate it has been taken to two dealers exclusively.

The only minor negative on the car (that I can find) is that there is a slight fading of the paint on the back bumper in a small area. Other than that, it looks to be extremely clean and well kept. Check it out: http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5481196929.html

I only need to get a pre-purchase inspection, and then I am ready to move forward. If anyone reading this is in and around Boise, give me a shout.
Old 03-15-16, 06:42 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

looks like a winner to me at a great price, of course check the big stuff like timing belt and power steering leakage which is common. does idaho see snow? an undercarriage check should be done at the pre-purchase inspection.

the radio static is a slight concern, and i would check the rear glass if it was replaced in the past, as the radio antenna is imprinted into it.
Old 03-16-16, 02:36 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Paint fade on the plastic bumpers is pretty normal. If you ever decide to paint it remove it and just paint it, preserve the original paint on the body (metal) at all costs.
Old 03-16-16, 03:34 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm with timmy, looks good to me... but check it out to your satisfaction.
Old 03-16-16, 09:46 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car looks decent but a bit pricey. I wouldn't buy it at the asking price. Check out KBB value for that car.
Old 03-16-16, 11:23 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

This green is just like mine 99, only I have wood steering wheel, navigation screen (useless at this point) and HID headlights ( good feature to have). I got mine 11 years ago with 37K miles, now have 206K. Not my favourite color, but I got used to it
If I were looking for one again, I would look in FL, less expensive and cleaner cars, no winters...
Old 03-16-16, 11:30 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Paint fade on the plastic bumpers is pretty normal. If you ever decide to paint it remove it and just paint it, preserve the original paint on the body (metal) at all costs.
Agree with Dicer. I painted my back bumper and it came out great. Painted my driver side door(new door from an accident) and it just didn't come out right. For sure you can get the bumper back to great condition yourself for around $60. BTW- I notice the inside shot doesn't show a good angle to the driver seat bolster- that is always the problem area in an old leather seat.

Last edited by jaaa; 03-16-16 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-16-16, 11:56 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just curious, what happened to your other 98? I remember you looking for a mechanic to work on it.
Old 03-16-16, 02:43 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car looks good and the price is fair considering it has all the receipts from lexus. I LOVE that color BTW. My favorite colors for the 98-00 are (in order) Atlantis Blue Mica, Antique Bronze Mica, Imperial Jade Mica and Baroque Red Metallic. Everything else is boring IMO. I still like Diamond White Pearl but those other colors are outstanding.
Old 03-16-16, 05:54 PM
shoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buy buy buy

just got one with satnav ....... wow just dont hesitate
Old 03-16-16, 09:55 PM
kyk007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I logged on tonight to find a slew of replies, so first off, thanks to everyone for commenting and giving me some important feedback. Let me try to reply to a few of your posts.

Timmy O - thanks for the heads up on the rear glass. While I admit I don't use the radio much at all, I did e-mail the owner to see if the glass had been replaced. Undercarriage check: I hadn't considered that, but will make sure to include that in the pre-purchase inspection.

Dicer, thanks for the sage advice to remove the bumper when repainting. When I come to that place, I'll be sure to do that. My other '98 will be getting sold to a friend here in town.

Omarg - funny you should list your choices of favorite colors, as I had a similar list myself and have to confess to looking at a Baroque Red Metallic and Antique Bronze Mica seriously. The Atlantis Blue Mica intrigued me too, but I could never find many pictures of one, and had wanted to see one up close in person to get a better look.

Valex - copy on the wood steering wheel. Lack of one isn't a deal breaker for me, so I'll be adding one when I can.

In conclusion, I will just come out and say I actually contemplated (for a while) switching cars. As sacrilegious as that might sound on this Lexus forum, I can admit to checking out some other compact cars, as I have owned my fair share of hatchbacks and wagons, Volvo and Saab to name a few.

In the end though, I find myself spoiled by the near perfection of the LS400. I caught myself thinking a few times that the car is so good that it borders on boring at times. But thinking it over, for what you get for your money, nothing else even comes close. As Shoney said, just don't hesitate. I think I'll take his advice.
Old 03-17-16, 06:37 AM
shoney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wow what a great response

Originally Posted by kyk007
I logged on tonight to find a slew of replies, so first off, thanks to everyone for commenting and giving me some important feedback. Let me try to reply to a few of your posts.

Timmy O - thanks for the heads up on the rear glass. While I admit I don't use the radio much at all, I did e-mail the owner to see if the glass had been replaced. Undercarriage check: I hadn't considered that, but will make sure to include that in the pre-purchase inspection.

Dicer, thanks for the sage advice to remove the bumper when repainting. When I come to that place, I'll be sure to do that. My other '98 will be getting sold to a friend here in town.

Omarg - funny you should list your choices of favorite colors, as I had a similar list myself and have to confess to looking at a Baroque Red Metallic and Antique Bronze Mica seriously. The Atlantis Blue Mica intrigued me too, but I could never find many pictures of one, and had wanted to see one up close in person to get a better look.

Valex - copy on the wood steering wheel. Lack of one isn't a deal breaker for me, so I'll be adding one when I can.

In conclusion, I will just come out and say I actually contemplated (for a while) switching cars. As sacrilegious as that might sound on this Lexus forum, I can admit to checking out some other compact cars, as I have owned my fair share of hatchbacks and wagons, Volvo and Saab to name a few.

In the end though, I find myself spoiled by the near perfection of the LS400. I caught myself thinking a few times that the car is so good that it borders on boring at times. But thinking it over, for what you get for your money, nothing else even comes close. As Shoney said, just don't hesitate. I think I'll take his advice.
good luck and fortune once you set sail beats an M1 Abrams any day