LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newly Acquired '99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 09:15 PM
RickyDavis
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newly Acquired '99 LS400

Coming from a toyota cressida background and a few BMWs. Sold my E46 because I wanted something to chill with and something more reliable. Scored this gem on craigslist for the low with 134k on the dash. Has a few minor imperfections on the body and minor repairs needed but car runs like a dream. Still researching and debating what lowering method I wanna go with. Leaning towards coilovers so I can raise the car during the winter months and not plow the streets with my front bumper. More pics later after the weather gets dry.

Few questions:
Is it possible to bake the corner lights as you can the headlights to open them up?

Is the Aux mod worth the hassle or should I just go straight aftermarket?

ABS & VSC lights are on. From my experience with BMWs, I'm guessing that's a brake sensor issue?

Any diff options as with the gs400?

Are the the JDM celsior window visor the only option for window visors? I thought those were pretty generic.

Any aftermarket sites for this gen LS?

Speedometer doesn't work sometimes but randomly starts working after a while. Is that an cluster issue or is the speedo cable bad?

Steering wheel doesn't always return to the position i have it set to when I put in the key. Is that an issue with the mechanism?

Name:  20160312_151959-1_zpsd6xyyeci.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  596.8 KB

Name:  20160312_150635_zpssxagux37.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  781.6 KB

Name:  20160312_185123_zpseabpchfe.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  20160312_185314_zpsnvhbpn8m.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  190.4 KB
Old 03-15-16, 02:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

in order:

Is it possible to bake the corner lights as you can the headlights to open them up?
No, have to be cut.

Personal choice, the only plug and play aftermarket harness that retains the OEM sub is not cheap. The sticky threads are your friend.

ABS & VSC lights are on. From my experience with BMWs, I'm guessing that's a brake sensor issue?
No, if there is no CEL then it's most likely battery/alt related, usually either a loose battery terminal or a dying battery.

Clarify, not sure what you mean.

Are the the JDM celsior window visor the only option for window visors? I thought those were pretty generic.
Not sure what you expect, they're window visors. Wellvisors sells a cheaper/stick-on version I believe, the OEM are toyota quality and clip in.

Again, not sure what you're looking for. Parts are going to be a lot more piecemeal than the e46 community. If you're looking for something akin to modbargains, you're out of luck.

Speedometer doesn't work sometimes but randomly starts working after a while. Is that an cluster issue or is the speedo cable bad?
If you can smack the dash and it starts working, it's a common issue. Vendor TaninAuto can fix it for a reasonable price. Not something I would attempt to DIY. More info if you search.

Steering wheel doesn't always return to the position i have it set to when I put in the key. Is that an issue with the mechanism?
Search, common issue but can have varying causes. Much less of an issue in the '98-00/

Congrats on the purchase, the search tool and the FAQ/Sticky posts at the top of the forum should become familiar to you.
Old 03-15-16, 05:11 AM
RickyDavis
Driver

Thanks for the replies. I've searched/lurked prior to actually purchasing the vehicle. Kinda wanted to have easier access to the replies and answers rather than bookmarking a whole bunch of threads. I read through the faqs and diys. In regards to the aftermarket support question, it was in terms of brands for oem parts. For example, brakes. Are there non oem alternatives? I was looking on rocauto and they have different brands and was wondering which people preferred. In regards to the diff question, I meant in terms of different ratio options. I know some people put the supra diff in the gs. Was wondering if similar was possible for the LS
Old 03-15-16, 10:53 AM
sdolla86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Car looks good.
Old 03-15-16, 11:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

welcome, and what plans do you have for the car? if you are looking into modding the differential then you must be planning to do more spirited driving than the normal keep-it-stock owner around here. look into the lextreme forums to heavily modify the car.

as with most cars, there is plenty of aftermarket OE support so it depends on how much you are willing to spend to replace a ball joint or brakes. there are plenty of threads already explaining what most people preferred.
Old 03-15-16, 11:58 AM
PrinceLS
Driver School Candidate

Nice looking car man welcome
Old 03-15-16, 12:21 PM
RickyDavis
Driver

thanks guys. in terms of plans, i wanna sort out the maintenance first, ie timing belt and water pump, bushings and fluid changes. After I address those issues, I'll move on to mods. Leaning towards megans right now, doing more research. Probably a muffler delete. Wheels and a lip.
Old 03-15-16, 02:33 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
in order:

No, have to be cut.

Personal choice, the only plug and play aftermarket harness that retains the OEM sub is not cheap. The sticky threads are your friend.

No, if there is no CEL then it's most likely battery/alt related, usually either a loose battery terminal or a dying battery.

Clarify, not sure what you mean.

Not sure what you expect, they're window visors. Wellvisors sells a cheaper/stick-on version I believe, the OEM are toyota quality and clip in.

Again, not sure what you're looking for. Parts are going to be a lot more piecemeal than the e46 community. If you're looking for something akin to modbargains, you're out of luck.

If you can smack the dash and it starts working, it's a common issue. Vendor TaninAuto can fix it for a reasonable price. Not something I would attempt to DIY. More info if you search.

Search, common issue but can have varying causes. Much less of an issue in the '98-00/

Congrats on the purchase, the search tool and the FAQ/Sticky posts at the top of the forum should become familiar to you.
Thanks for the mention! We are indeed able to help with the issues with this cluster for the LS400. Here is the link to the page for the repair service:

Lexus LS400 Gauge Cluster Repair Service

If for some reason, it cannot be repaired, we can also sell fully rebuilt clusters for this model and year:

1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400 Gauge Cluster

We are glad to answer any questions as well. Just let us know if we can be of service!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 03-15-16, 03:15 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Welcome and congrats!

Mike