LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Master Reset for '92 Nakamichi Head

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 07:51 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Master Reset for '92 Nakamichi Head

Hello again...

I'd like to clear any existing owner codes from my sound system.
Please read the explanation below..... or just skip to the bottom .

I just acquired this LS400 with a Nakamichi Premium Sound System.
The head seems to work, it keys thru the channels, and the CD works.

However, no sound, except faintly thru the rear speakers. I have studied this problem pretty carefully and have a plan for solving that issue.

According to the manual, the sound system employs a theft deterrent feature that asks the owner to enter a personal code that allows the owner to release the sound system IF the theft deterrent becomes activated and makes the radio inoperable.

In other words, the sound system locks for whatever reason, and you hold some buttons and then type in your 'code' which releases it.

You get 5 tries, and if you fail 5 times, the sound system locks up for good.

Since I'm not the original owner, and the party I bought the car from has no idea about any of this - I do NOT know if the system is clear, or if a previous owner did enter a code. If the system wants to see a code at some point while I'm working on it, I'm screwed.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is run a Master Reset of the sound system - basically setting it back to factory defaults. THEN, I could either leave it clear, or enter my own release code.

Please, if anyone knows the correct key-strokes to reset the system and clear any prior 'owners' codes, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks, and I apologize for the long explanation.

Louie
Old 02-29-16, 10:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

That is a Dealer top secret. And if it was locked by the security code after the 5 tries then the system is inoperable.
Old 03-01-16, 12:00 AM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
That is a Dealer top secret. And if it was locked by the security code after the 5 tries then the system is inoperable.
Thanks.... that's what I was afraid of.

I wouldn't have asked, but I saw another post today, where somebody DID have an escape code for a Pioneer in a '93 GS300....and I just assumed that somebody might have one for the '92 Nak. Guess not.

But I have no worries, provided my sound system does not currently have an active owner code in it. Right?

I read somewhere that if a code is entered and active, the LCD of the radio, when turned on, will briefly display the characters *SEC* indicating that the security function is present (meaning an owner code is entered and active).

Recently I had to remove the battery and take it to my shop for a charging (I left the lights on overnight, my bad)...and after I put the battery back in there was no change in the Sound System...it still comes on, still cycles thru the AM, and FM, still displays and reads CD's, and no *SEC* display.......

So, I'm going to conclude that either, nobody has entered an active security code, or if they did, it was cleared by a Lexus Dealer.

Anyone agree with that, or disagree with that? I'm open to all views.
Old 03-01-16, 07:27 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I've heard some dealers will do it for free, and some for 100 or so.
Old 03-01-16, 08:20 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the code was an issue you'd have no functions at all. If you're able to cycle thru the modes the code is not causing your audio issues. The most likely problem is the head unit or more likely the amplifier under the passenger seat is failing.
Old 03-01-16, 09:46 AM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djamps
If the code was an issue you'd have no functions at all. If you're able to cycle thru the modes the code is not causing your audio issues. The most likely problem is the head unit or more likely the amplifier under the passenger seat is failing.
Right. Actually, I never thought that the code was causing the audio issues. My concern was avoiding any possibility of the head unit going into lock-down. I really don't want to go the the dealer.

I'm going to be working on it today, so, we'll see what gives. I'm fore-warned and fore-armed now with great information.

BTW.... the 'AMP' is under the passenger seat? Not between the back seat and the trunk? Thanks!
Old 03-01-16, 12:50 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

OK, I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

I opened the trunk, pulled back the drivers side panel, disconnected the Motorola Cellular Phone Transceiver cables and plugged the two white ones together, effectively bypassing the Transceiver, and BOOM! Full glorious Nakamichi sound from all speakers.

Tra la la .....

"Where are my favorite CD's.....?"
Old 03-01-16, 07:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

There is no amp under any seats in a Gen 1, unless some one decided to goof things up and add one. The amp in the trunk is for the woofer.
Old 03-01-16, 08:13 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no amp under any seats in a Gen 1, unless some one decided to goof things up and add one. The amp in the trunk is for the woofer.
My bad. Guess it's 95+?
Old 03-03-16, 04:57 PM
Louie7
Driver School Candidate

..and all other spkrs are powered by the head unit.... correct ?
Old 03-03-16, 11:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

As far as I know yup.
Old 04-10-21, 07:10 AM
Valentin3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to reset a Nakamichi head unit locked by power outage

I recently discovered how to unlock the factory Nakamichi system for the UCF 10. Make sure the car is in park, and the key is in the ignition set to it “ACC”.

If you are not locked out in the security system yet and you’ve lost the manual but want to change the system, hold down the [1] and [6] buttons, while pushing and holding the “power volume“ **** until “SEC“ appears on the display.

Press the [1] button while holding the “TUNE SEEK” button in. The display should now show “🔼🔽 — — —“

if your system is not yet locked and he would like to change the security system code, use buttons [1] [2] [3] respectively to set each digit followed by pressing and holding the [SCAN] button until “SEC” appears on display. Then “SEC“ will go off to indicate the system is set. If invalid buttons have been used “ERR“ will appear on the display before the “SEC“ appears.

If your system is already locked on “SEC“ with the key indicator light on start here:
If you have entered the incorrect passcode as described in the owners manual, The screen will say “SEC“.

In order to reset we will have to enter 10 incorrect codes until we see “🔼🔽 HELP” on the display.
While holding down the [1][4][6] buttons, press the power on volume ****.

The display should now say “ASC SEC”.

Hold button [1] and press ⬆️FF TUNE SEEK.

You should now see three hyphens and an 🔼 up arrow.

We now have to enter the reset code: 334 989

The reset code is only for Nakamichi head units, not the Pioneers. Should work for either CD changer or non-CD changer units. Use buttons [1] [2] [3] to enter 3 3 4 and then [SCAN]

Hold button [1] and press ⬇️ REW TUNE SEEK.

You should now see three hyphens and a 🔽 down arrow.Use buttons [1] [2] [3] to enter “9 8 9” and then press and hold the [SCAN] button until the screen goes blank. The key light should also go out, and you should be good to love your sound system again. If you at all see the display say “ERR“, you’ll have to go through all the steps again.

This was a huge headache for me and I really hope this helps other people keep this outstanding old stereo going. This was clearly added as a gimmicky feature they did nothing but give a lot of people headaches, mostly the customers and not the thieves.

love,

Valentine

Originally Posted by Louie7
Hello again...

I'd like to clear any existing owner codes from my sound system.
Please read the explanation below..... or just skip to the bottom .

I just acquired this LS400 with a Nakamichi Premium Sound System.
The head seems to work, it keys thru the channels, and the CD works.

However, no sound, except faintly thru the rear speakers. I have studied this problem pretty carefully and have a plan for solving that issue.

According to the manual, the sound system employs a theft deterrent feature that asks the owner to enter a personal code that allows the owner to release the sound system IF the theft deterrent becomes activated and makes the radio inoperable.

In other words, the sound system locks for whatever reason, and you hold some buttons and then type in your 'code' which releases it.

You get 5 tries, and if you fail 5 times, the sound system locks up for good.

Since I'm not the original owner, and the party I bought the car from has no idea about any of this - I do NOT know if the system is clear, or if a previous owner did enter a code. If the system wants to see a code at some point while I'm working on it, I'm screwed.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is run a Master Reset of the sound system - basically setting it back to factory defaults. THEN, I could either leave it clear, or enter my own release code.

Please, if anyone knows the correct key-strokes to reset the system and clear any prior 'owners' codes, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks, and I apologize for the long explanation.

Louie