Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Keep your emission system stock

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 02:11 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Keep your emission system stock

Even if you plan to race it. And a good reason to not cut those pipes, and remove the catalytic converter, nor modify anything on the engine that effects emissions.
New EPA rules coming soon.
And there are other better articles on this too.
And if its going to be this bad for race cars, then more so for certified street cars.
I wonder when the suspension mod ban will come from DOT?

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...s-regulations/

https://www.semashow.com/category/tags/epa-regulations

http://articles.autopublishers.com/s...r-regulations/
Old 02-12-16, 03:49 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here was a good post regarding the new EPA rules posted in a thread over on Miata.net forums by LionZoo;

"First point: The regulations themselves have a section specifying what vehicles the regulations apply to. It is as follows:

“A. Does this action apply to me?

This proposed action would affect companies that manufacture, sell, or import into the United States new heavy-duty engines and new Class 2b through 8 trucks, including combination tractors, all types of buses, vocational vehicles including municipal, commercial, recreational vehicles, and commercial trailers as well as 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickup trucks and vans. The heavy-duty category incorporates all motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 lbs or greater, and the engines that power them, except for medium-duty passenger vehicles already covered by the greenhouse gas standards and corporate average fuel economy standards issued for light-duty model year 2017-2025 vehicles.”

As you can see, it’s expressly clear that it applies only to heavy duty and medium duty vehicles EXCEPT medium duty vehicles already covered by light duty standards. That makes it pretty clear that light duty vehicles are out.

Second point: Patrick mentioned that the EPA stated that the “EPA is proposing in 40 CFR 1037.601(a)(3) to clarify that the Clean Air Act does not allow any person to disable, remove, or render inoperative (i.e., tamper with) emission controls on a certified motor vehicle for purposes of competition.” However, it’s important to note that 40 CFR 1037.601(a)(3) would be under 40 CFR 1037. 40 CFR 1037 covers heavy duty vehicles, not light duty vehicles. Light duty vehicles are covered under 40 CFR 86. You can’t reasonably apply a clarification buried in one section of regulations to another section. Such an interpretation is unlikely to stand up in court as if the EPA wanted the clarification to apply to light to heavy duty vehicles, they could have inserted the section into 40 CFR itself rather than 40 CFR 1037. (Think of 40 CFR as a tree and 40 CFR 1037 as a branch. Once it’s branched off, the words only cover that branch.)

Third point: McDonald (who works for SEMA) asked for clarification as to the EPA’s stance on converting certified vehicles to race cars. Now I’m not sure how he worded his question, but the key word here is “certified.”

By the EPA’s definition, certified vehicles are vehicles used for highway travel. They mention as such by stating that they’re primarily concerned with tampered vehicles used for road use. This is pretty much been the case for a long time. Basically, if you drive your vehicle on public roads, it needs to be certified.

However, the question becomes, if you take your car off highway, can it be de-certified. The EPA actually doesn’t particularly comment on this, but they’ve stated that they are primarily concerned with whether a vehicle is used on the highway or used exclusively for competition. In my opinion, that signals that the EPA isn’t going to go after your racecar.

Of course then, the question becomes why did McDonald say the EPA confirmed that you can’t convert certified vehicles into racecars. In my opinion, this comes down to wording. If he had asked whether certified vehicles that are used solely as racecars are exempt, the EPA would have likely told him no. My question would be, did he ask if it was possible to de-certify cars and it doesn’t appear from his statements that he did. Anyway, I’d like to see a transcript of the conversation.

Finally: As stated in the article, “Vehicles used on the street and track are restricted by environmental regulations,” McDonald. “We contend that if you convert a vehicle into a race car, and it only gets tracked, that is excluded.” But the EPA claims it’s always been this way, and the agency is simply clarifying the rule. If the EPA actually stated that it’s always been that converting a vehicle into a track only race car is excluded and that they’re not changing the regulations, but merely clarifying it, then they are on record for saying so. If that’s the case, then it’s a further point in favor of the interpretation that you can still have your track only race cars."

So, if I understand things correctly, these new laws would simply reinforce laws that are already prohibiting the modification of a vehicles emissions systems and if you are building a racecar, that car would still remain excluded/exempt from these laws.

Mike
Old 02-12-16, 06:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I blame loud, noisy Honda Civics.
Old 02-13-16, 11:00 AM
CynderES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the new rules are due to the diesel "rolling Coal" phenomenon and people removing the expensive and troublesome DPF and urea injection/DEF systems. when i ran wrecker everybody we knew with a tow truck removed the urea injection as soon as it was out of warrenty (MT has no smog or emissions inspection, so while not being federally legal, nobody really cared.)
Old 02-13-16, 09:26 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It will include all cars, except of course the old 60's and 50's cars. Its pretty much for any car that has an O2 sensor.
Old 02-15-16, 10:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CynderES
I was under the impression that the new rules are due to the diesel "rolling Coal" phenomenon and people removing the expensive and troublesome DPF and urea injection/DEF systems. when i ran wrecker everybody we knew with a tow truck removed the urea injection as soon as it was out of warrenty (MT has no smog or emissions inspection, so while not being federally legal, nobody really cared.)
This is the main point. If your county or state doesn't test for emissions, then you don't have to keep any of the emissions equipment on your car. Is the EPA going to step up enforcement/require federally mandated testing?

I know that drivers and owners of big semi-trucks hate all the emissions systems the EPA has forced all 2007 and newer trucks to carry. During the 1st few years of the urea injection, EGR, and DPF the trucks didn't run right and got crap gas mileage. There have been improvements, but the simple fact is that your diesel will run better and get better fuel economy without the emissions equipment.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if semi-truck fleet owners have all their trucks registered to addresses where they don't test emissions, and take off the emissions equipment and reprogram the computers on the trucks to where they get a 1-2mpg bump in fuel economy.
Old 02-16-16, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if semi-truck fleet owners have all their trucks registered to addresses where they don't test emissions, and take off the emissions equipment and reprogram the computers on the trucks to where they get a 1-2mpg bump in fuel economy.
You mean like VW? LOL
Old 04-17-16, 10:50 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Some good news regarding this. The EPA reversed their decision on track car exemptions amidst much public comment.

Not sure how this will deter their position on aftermarket parts though.

http://jalopnik.com/the-epa-will-not...all-1771338067

http://www.leftlanenews.com/epa-drop...ars-91531.html