Weird battery light issue - Club Lexus Forums

Weird battery light issue

Old 01-09-16, 05:53 AM   #1
UNCJD
Rookie

Default Weird battery light issue

Battery light came on in my '95 LS400 while driving down the highway. Battery tested ok, but autozone said alternator wasnt charging. This was a new alternator, so i pulled it out and brought it back. Bench tested fine
So I put it back in. There had been a PS leak, so I fixed that. Found a loose connection at the 120A fusible link, so I tightened it. All fuses check out OK.
Battery light's still on.
Everything on the alternator is tight and the connections were reinstalled with dielectric grease. I haven't recently jumped it or been monkeying with the electrical system. Any ideas as to what I should check? Should I idle it a while and see if the light goes out on its own?
UNCJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 04:43 PM   #2
oldskewel
Pole Position

I would not trust the Autozone bench test results.

I once had a bad alternator test good at our local Pep Boys, that was actually bad - although I was not sure of it until putting the new one made everything good.

It's a problem if you're needing to rely on a bad bench test to prove for warranty purposes.

I would get a voltmeter and measure voltage at the battery when the car is off / idling / revved at 2500 RPM. That should tell you more.
oldskewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 08:00 PM   #3
UNCJD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
I would not trust the Autozone bench test results.

I once had a bad alternator test good at our local Pep Boys, that was actually bad - although I was not sure of it until putting the new one made everything good.

It's a problem if you're needing to rely on a bad bench test to prove for warranty purposes.

I would get a voltmeter and measure voltage at the battery when the car is off / idling / revved at 2500 RPM. That should tell you more.
The alternator is definitely a player here. I thought I had it fixed, but it started doing this Exorcist crap out on the road like it did when the last alternator went bad. Checked under the car after dinner and what do you know...a new PS leak. Or a failed repair on the old one. What drives me nuts is, that's a new PS pump!
UNCJD is offline   Reply With Quote