LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just got a 1st gen LS400! Power steerig system HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 10:24 AM
wellsweb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 1st gen LS400! Power steerig system HELP!

Hi, everybody, we just got a 1992 LS400 with about 209000 miles on it last Sunday night. We were told that the only things that needed fixing were the struts. Monday, we started hearing noise from the power steering pump. It got worse as the week progressed. We took the car to the shop yesterday, and they said that there are leaks all through the steering system. They want to replace the rack and pinion, rack bushings, inner and outer tie rods, and the power steering pump. Did we get ripped off? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Last edited by RA40; 04-14-21 at 06:54 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 01-08-16, 10:37 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

First off welcome and congrats on the LS. Power steering components are expensive especially the high pressure hoses, which are prone to leak. If you can, I'd get the power steering pump first as it's usually attributed to the noise.

FYI, a new rack and pinion assembly, if you were to purchase it, comes assembled with new bushings, boots and inner tie rods. Personally, the outer tie rods on my 92 were still fine. Purchasing this assembly yourself may save you some bucks

GL on the repair
Old 01-08-16, 12:54 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a second opinion, preferably from a shop that's rated by AAA.
Old 01-08-16, 02:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

"Did we get ripped off"
How much did you pay for it?
1 It is a very old car
2 It has high miles
3 LS's are not perfect and have a list of normal problems
4 If your not a DIY type of person, its best not to get an older used high mile car, it will cost a bunch in the long run.
===========
Yes you can spend a bunch on the suspension and steering, and maybe everything else will hang in there. And maybe not, the next things that can go are all the front engine stuff timing belt, water pump pulleys, leaky seals, motor mounts etc. Then there are things like AC that can cost as much as a rebuilt transmission to fix.
If the car is in perfect cosmetic condition all original clean title etc. It maybe worth putting the 10k into it, you won't buy a better car for that, unless you find a low mile 99 like the one guy did on here. Lots of folks think the newer ones like 98 up are better, and it would be a waste to spend a bunch on a gen 1, its all a choice thing.
Old 01-09-16, 10:27 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above the LS400 is an aging vehicle and the PS system is a known issue. I just bought a very clean '94 LS w/ 231K mileage and my PS pump and hoses are weeping fluid. I'll be having to address the same issue soon, and hopefully before the leaking PS pump takes out the alternator.

In my opinion, these cars are definitely worth the time, money, and effort.

Mike
Old 01-09-16, 07:33 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

make sure u do the hoses also
Old 01-11-16, 11:59 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

All good advice above, but here are a couple of other tips:

- the sound increasing as the week went on is probably due to the pump running with lower and lower fluid. So in case it is not obvious, make sure you check the fluid level and keep it filled. The PS on these cars takes regular old ATF - that means DEXRON III or equivalent. DEXRON VI will work, but since you're leaking it out so fast, you probably want to find some cheap stuff. Do NOT put anything called PS fluid in there.

- the PS system is probably the primary problem system on the car. Lots of info on there in the stickies.

- there is a filter that nobody outside this list seems to know about, on the rack solenoid. You can access that easily by jacking the car and removing the left front wheel. Find instructions on this list and remove, clean, and reinstall that filter (not sold separately from the $900+ rack solenoid). One major problem with the PS system is that that filter (which is unknown to most and definitely not considered a service item) clogs up, which reduces the pressure at the rack where you need it, and raises pressure all throughout the system upstream of it. Causes leaks.

So I recommend before doing anything else, you remove and carefully clean that filter, put it back together, fill with fresh fluid, and see how you're doing. It will certainly reduce the fluid pressure upstream of the rack, and may do enough to slow or stop leaks that your problem goes away.

When I did that on my '91 after getting it at about 160k miles, it had clearly never been done before. It transformed my PS system into the amazing one the Lexus designed. When it's working right, the PS system is so good that whenever you drive another car you'll swear that its PS is broken.

The idle-up valve on the PS pump is another very common problem area, resulting in clouds of white smoke on startup after the car has been sitting for a while - as PS fluid leaks into the vacuum lines to the valve, so it gets sucked into the intake manifold and burned on startup.

Good luck.

Last edited by oldskewel; 01-11-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 01:46 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought my whole system was leaking (fluid everywhere, 200k miles), I started with the pump and o-rings / crush washers and it resolved 90% of the leaking. At least to the point I'm no longer leaving marks on the driveway and the alternator is dry. Didn't need new hoses, rack or anything like that. So I guess start with the easy to reach stuff / cheaper stuff and go from there. My biggest leak now is the valve covers.
Old 04-14-21, 05:38 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep. If it meets your needs, and costs less per month than a new car payment, keep it.
Old 04-14-21, 05:57 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by wellsweb
Hi, everybody, we just got a 1992 LS400 with about 209000 miles on it last Sunday night. We were told that the only things that needed fixing were the struts. Monday, we started hearing noise from the power steering pump. It got worse as the week progressed. We took the car to the shop yesterday, and they said that there are leaks all through the steering system. They want to replace the rack and pinion, rack bushings, inner and outer tie rods, and the power steering pump. Did we get ripped off? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Judging from your post, it seems like your purchasing decision wasn’t ideal.
The previous owner likely put some steering stop leak goop in the system to tide the car over in the sale period. Now he has your money, and it appears that you aren’t in a position to diagnose and repair things like the steering system by yourself. Now the shop is trying to get your money too. Should have bought a different car.
My advice: sell the car immediately

Last edited by sdls; 04-14-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 09:37 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djamps
My biggest leak now is the valve covers.
Very common complaint here.Mine was a simple gentle snug up on bolts,fixed my leaks 100%.

OEM pump is in the 500 USD range.Since this is hopefully my lifetime car I went and paid it,installed myself.