LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory GPS has got to go!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 05:03 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So after another hour I finally got all the little LEDs to work. It was a matter of taking a tiny shred of sandpaper and cleaning up the contacts on the circuit board and double-checking the polarity. Now they all light up and it gives a pretty cool effect - can't wait to see it at night. Unfortunately, I didn't get too far with the wiring job on the new HU because it looks like the beatsonic SLA-22 is NOT compatible with a factory navi wiring harness. As you can see from the photos (OEM on the left/beatsonic on the right)...none of the connections match.
Attached Thumbnails Factory GPS has got to go!-2015-08-09-13.48.06.jpg   Factory GPS has got to go!-2015-08-09-13.47.54.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 10-23-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 05:11 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Even though my car came with factory navi - it's still a Pioneer so I'm not sure how/why it would be so different? The connectors on the SLA-22 are not even close! Luckily, when I was buying all the install parts I got a Toyota wiring kit for like $10 bucks which matches up perfectly. So despite my high hopes, I will now have to either go forward minus the sub or wire up a separate amp to run my 10" Kicker woofer on the rear deck. Da fuq.
Attached Thumbnails Factory GPS has got to go!-2015-08-09-14.00.28.jpg   Factory GPS has got to go!-2015-08-09-13.49.31.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-09-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 09:21 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Even though my car came with factory navi - it's still a Pioneer so I'm not sure how/why it would be so different? The connectors on the SLA-22 are not even close! Luckily, when I was buying all the install parts I got a Toyota wiring kit for like $10 bucks which matches up perfectly. So despite my high hopes, I will now have to either go forward minus the sub or wire up a separate amp to run my 10" Kicker woofer on the rear deck. Da fuq.
I expect it's different because it's wired to share a screen with the Nav and climate control.
Old 08-13-15, 05:10 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
I expect it's different because it's wired to share a screen with the Nav and climate control.
I guess, or it's because the wiring for the amp control is buried somewhere in the navi harness? The reason doesn't matter - it just doesn't work so now I gotta figure out a plan B.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 02-11-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 06:37 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

You should have investigated a bit more. The SLA-22 is not for your purpose. It is for a car with non-navi as is shown here below. See the photo 取付前 and 取付後 and compare.
http://www.beatsonic.co.jp/adapter/sla/sla-22.php

Beatsonic sells the AOK-03 for a car with a navi. But this is to add a additional stereo set as is shown below.
http://www.beatsonic.co.jp/adapter/aok/aok-03.php

In order to replace a navi adding a climate control unit, you need to make a special conversion kit all by yourself or ask someone who is capable.
Old 08-15-15, 01:32 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
You should have investigated a bit more. The SLA-22 is not for your purpose. It is for a car with non-navi as is shown here below. See the photo 取付前 and 取付後 and compare.

Beatsonic sells the AOK-03 for a car with a navi. But this is to add a additional stereo set as is shown below.

In order to replace a navi adding a climate control unit, you need to make a special conversion kit all by yourself or ask someone who is capable.
Yamae-san,

I was hoping someone with an electronics background such as yourself would reply to my post. You are right, it's my fault for not doing more thorough research but at this point I will continue the installation by removing the under-seat amp and installing my own which will allow for sub power control via the new HU.

Is there a way to tap into the existing amp wiring to gain a power source as well as a connection through to the rear sub so that I don't have to run several meters of new wires from the dash to the cabin to the trunk? If I had a wiring diagram for the amp I am sure I could figure it out. Btw, when I tested out my non-navi climate control module it worked fine so there are no issues there. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 02-11-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-15-15, 02:01 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

The second link you provided for the AOK-03 is interesting and I wonder what is this "additional component" pictured? Perhaps a media controller for ipod or other digital content? Anyway, how come Beat-Sonic can figure out how to make this but cannot make a factory navi wiring harness connector for HU replacement?
Old 08-15-15, 05:09 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Yamae-san,

I was hoping someone with an electronics background such as yourself would reply to my post. You are right, it's my fault for not doing more thorough research but at this point I will continue the installation by removing the under-seat amp and installing my own which will allow for sub power and control via the new HU.

Is there a way to tap into the existing amp wiring to gain a power source as well as a connection through to the rear sub so that I don't have to run several meters of new wires from the dash to the cabin to the trunk? If I had a wiring diagram for the amp I am sure I could figure it out. Btw, when I tested out my non-navi climate control module it worked fine so there are no issues there. Thanks for your reply.
I once have tried to replace the navi unit and it was 50% successful. 50% means there were unsatisfied following items.

1, Less power due to the added resistors for the 2 ohms speakers.
2, Sub woofer wasn't driven.
3, CD changer was out of use.

I initially was thinking of adding a home made woofer amplifier, but the item 1 and 3 made me to go back to a original navi. Instead of the replacement, I bought another navi which is very thin and it can be attached to the dash board.

When I installed a genuine thick Toyota navi under the added A/C controller, I connected speakers seeing the wring diagram attached below adding 2.2 ohms 5W resistors in series with each speaker line aiming not to damage the new navi's amplifier because it can't drive 2 ohms speakers. But this caused the problem 1.

Due to those reasons, my current situation is keeping the original navi with a new thin navi.

When I tied the replacement, I made a note how to connect speakers. But I discarded it and I can't provide it to you. All I can do now is just to show you the JDM wiring diagram which shows how speakers are connected to the original main amplifier under the seat. Things are mostly written in Japanese but I'm sure you can recognize speaker lines.
Attached Thumbnails Factory GPS has got to go!-to-speakers.jpg  
Old 08-15-15, 05:40 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Wiring from 98:

The following users liked this post:
cj98ls (07-27-23)
Old 08-17-15, 07:11 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info, aptoslexus. I see how the speakers are laid out but what are the black, brown, green, red and white wires for?

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-17-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 07:23 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

I once have tried to replace the navi unit and it was 50% successful. 50% means there were unsatisfied following items.

1, Less power due to the added resistors for the 2 ohms speakers.
2, Sub woofer wasn't driven.
3, CD changer was out of use.

I initially was thinking of adding a home made woofer amplifier, but the item 1 and 3 made me to go back to a original navi. Instead of the replacement, I bought another navi which is very thin and it can be attached to the dash board.

When I installed a genuine thick Toyota navi under the added A/C controller, I connected speakers seeing the wring diagram attached below adding 2.2 ohms 5W resistors in series with each speaker line aiming not to damage the new navi's amplifier because it can't drive 2 ohms speakers. But this caused the problem 1.

Due to those reasons, my current situation is keeping the original navi with a new thin navi.

When I tied the replacement, I made a note how to connect speakers. But I discarded it and I can't provide it to you. All I can do now is just to show you the JDM wiring diagram which shows how speakers are connected to the original main amplifier under the seat. Things are mostly written in Japanese but I'm sure you can recognize speaker lines.
Thanks for this. My wife is Japanese so translating it won't be a problem.
Does this diagram show a "power" wire or will I have to run a new power/ground wire for the replacement amp?
Old 08-17-15, 12:45 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Thanks for the info, aptoslexus. I see how the speakers are laid out but what are the black, brown, green, red and white wires for?
Appears to me to be left/right channel and ground wires from cd changer to amp. And from radio to amp.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 08-17-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 02:50 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Appears to me to be left/right channel and ground wires from cd changer to amp. And from radio to amp.
Sounds about right. I think I'm just gonna remove the OE amp and leave the wiring alone. When I replace it with my own mono-block type (to power the single sub), I'll just run new power, ground and remote wires. Also, I'm thinking the new HU has enough juice to power the door speakers so I think I'll try that out tonight.
Old 08-17-15, 06:33 PM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Thanks for this. My wife is Japanese so translating it won't be a problem.
Does this diagram show a "power" wire or will I have to run a new power/ground wire for the replacement amp?
So you don't have any problem understanding this below. All speaker lines and power lines are shown in Japanese provided by "jt" who is the site owner of Celsiorup.
Attached Thumbnails Factory GPS has got to go!-20-and-3865.jpg  
Old 08-18-15, 06:33 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

So you don't have any problem understanding this below. All speaker lines and power lines are shown in Japanese provided by "jt" who is the site owner of Celsiorup.
Thanks again Yamae. This will help. Do you have a photo for the connections to the original Pioneer head unit in the dash area? The diagrams aptoslexus provided are helpful but a labeled photo actually showing the connectors is easier to follow for a guy like me.

I tried to wire up the new HU last night by using the Jenson wiring paired with a generic Toyota harness (#32 above) but it didn't work. In order to match things up correctly, I really need to know what each wire does and not just its' color. My experiment last night, matching "color for color", had negative results. Thanks.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 08-18-15 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory GPS has got to go!