LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Vacuum line tuck? Emissions delete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 03:54 PM
renchmonki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum line tuck? Emissions delete?

Looking to clean up around the manifold a little. Are these circled parts having to do with emissions and does anyone here have these deleted? I saw a picture of someone who had a 1UZ out of a Supra and it didn't have any of that there, more of a cleaner look..so it makes me wonder. Lol

Old 03-24-15, 05:47 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

1UZ in another car means there is probably a stand alone ECU that is running the motor, which does not need said emissions systems, EGR, vac lines, etc. also keep in mind there are later model 1UZs that have a different manifold design altogether (98-00 cars).

if emissions is not an issue in your state, and you can pass inspections with a CEL, then my all means tuck away!
Old 03-24-15, 07:17 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Car might run like crap and MPG will most likely suffer.
Old 03-25-15, 03:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And when people do that sort of thing they are just hurting it for everyone else. And will help goof up diy stuff for everyone. Or help mandate some other sort of garbage on us all.

The whole efi system is just that a system. If you try cutting things out you will end up with a check engine light on all the time, drivability will suffer, and fuel mileage too, just like sha4000 says.
If you need a clean look, then an LS400 may not be for you. The old chevys of the late 50's had a nice clean looking engine with none of the stuff you circled on them.
Old 03-25-15, 04:04 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no green zealous by any means, and you're going to do what you're going to do, but removing the emissions system for such a well engineered cars is just a stupid thing to do. I know in forum land stupid is a strong word, but the idea that pollution "ain't no big deal" is in fact stupid. C'mon man....think about the big picture. No one getting excited looking under the hood in an LS no matter what you do to it.
Old 03-25-15, 06:25 AM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudyH
I'm no green zealous by any means, and you're going to do what you're going to do, but removing the emissions system for such a well engineered cars is just a stupid thing to do. I know in forum land stupid is a strong word, but the idea that pollution "ain't no big deal" is in fact stupid. C'mon man....think about the big picture. No one getting excited looking under the hood in an LS no matter what you do to it.
I agree about the big picture, but if that is "stupid", then we all are, since we probably don't need to have an LS in the first place. A car with less HP, weight less will carry a family of 5 easily from A to B and emit less, I know I currently drive a Yaris... .

But are we?

If you bought a used LS, the carbon footprint of the car is better than any new car you can buy since you start at 0, but the for the new car you need to take into consideration the entire process to build and the raw materials. Some will argue about this because most cars will need to be scrap after 15 years, but the fact that the LS have been proven to be built like a tank and on top of the reliability list make it on par with current hybrids or even better based on 10 years use. So if you want to go ahead and do some emission delete I don't really care since you're already greener than most and it's nothing compare to rollin coal...
Old 03-25-15, 06:29 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lchouinard
I agree about the big picture, but if that is "stupid", then we all are, since we probably don't need to have an LS in the first place. A car with less HP, weight less will carry a family of 5 easily from A to B and emit less, I know I currently drive a Yaris... .

But are we?

If you bought a used LS, the carbon footprint of the car is better than any new car you can buy since you start at 0, but the for the new car you need to take into consideration the entire process to build and the raw materials. Some will argue about this because most cars will need to be scrap after 15 years, but the fact that the LS have been proven to be built like a tank and on top of the reliability list make it on par with current hybrids or even better based on 10 years use. So if you want to go ahead and do some emission delete I don't really care since you're already greener than most and it's nothing compare to rollin coal...
A green with all you said. I traded I my 430 on an HS. My next car might be an NX Hybrid. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone for driving a Hybrid. I don't know if in the big pic it's actually better. None of that is an excuse for removing emissions equipment.
Old 03-25-15, 02:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I doubt the LS can be considered GREEN unless your driving on the highway ALL time and the car is in top shape. No way is it greener then todays newer car in it's class.
Old 03-25-15, 04:04 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

What I'm saying is that's "greener" to buy a used LS than to buy an brand new car. No car is "green" unless that's it's color... The carbon produce to extract the raw materials, transport them, transform them, build the car and then move the car to it's final destination outweigh years of burning fuel in a used LS.
Old 03-26-15, 02:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I forgot to mention if you got a newer LS or attached the plastic engine cover from say a 96 you will cover all that mess that you don't like and not cause the problems you would removing the stuff. Just remember the more goofy things people do to these cars the less the value is when it comes time to sell it. If you strive to keep it real clean stock it will pull top dollar. I was looking at a 90 that sold for around 7K, is yours worth that?
Old 03-26-15, 02:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

These play a part in the engine being efficient, so removing them results in the CEL. This sidesteps the ECU programming and defaults the programming to compensate for the error code. Reduced HP and MPG numbers being the result. If the car is running well, I'd just leave it. Lots of work for a minimal visual appearance. The easier would be to use the top engine cover from the 95-97 but the TRAC module mounting will have to be modified if using the cover. Shouldn't be very hard to do.
Old 03-26-15, 07:57 PM
renchmonki
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted some insight on it from some people. And yeah, i'm sure the CEL would come on pretty fast. I'll just leave and try and tuck it some/make it look snazzy.
Old 04-05-15, 11:28 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Do Japanese Celsiors and V8 Soarers have all the emissions stuff? NO. Do other countries have emissions testing? NO. Not in Mexico. Not in Europe. Not in Japan.

So you want to remove your emissions components?
If your state doesn't require emissions testing to drive your car, by all means take it off. Your car will NOT run better OR worse, popular to contrary belief.

Will it free up HP? NO
Will it make my MPG suffer? NO
Will it make my car faster? NO
Will it pollute worse than before? NO

It is all a gimmick, really. If you don't' care, leave it in there. If you are building a show car or you just simply want a less cluttered engine bay, take it off. NO I will not provide diagrams on how to do it because in some states it is considered illegal to even show people how to do it - so go on Google and search for it, you will find it.

And please, all of you, if you really buy into this 'cars carbon footprint' please stop. Do they pollute? ABSOLUTELY. But does US Emissions systems in automobiles really help the environment? NO. Test an actual system and you will be surprised. It's a GIMMICK. We test regularly at our dealer with Audis, Mercedez, Lexus, Cadillacs, Acuras and Porsche's. Using our own sniffer systems, modern cars (90's+) do not need these systems at ALL to run 'clean'. You know why OBDII doesn't require for you to go on the rollers or get sniffed? Because you would pass emissions even if you didn't have the emissions components required by US Law due to the technology that started being implemented on vehicles since 93+ (better ECU's, better tunes, etc.) and better fuel quality across the US. So what did the US Law required foreign auto manufacturers to do? Adopt the OBDII standard to comply to this 'emissions' law.

OBDII emissions testing all it does it records - get this - TEMPS of the INTAKE PLENUM and exhaust at idle for 30~45 seconds. Depending on the temps of these two components the emissions machine calculates the 'approximate' emissions produced by the car. NO, it really doesn't look at oxigen content in the exhaust. EGT is what it checks on ODBII.

Another thing, did you know that US made vehicles's emissions are measured on a different standard than imports?

US Emissions is nothing more than a gimmick to serve a political agenda and has little to do to 'save the planet'. And yes, it is tied in DIRECTLY to the Customs Law of Grey Imports (AKA - the "Why-R34's-Aren't-Legal" Law). The carbon footprint of automobiles is minuscule compared to other larger and far greater contributors in pollution.

Be informed before drinking the kool aid about US Emissions.
Old 04-06-15, 01:04 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow, this is quite the heated thread for a guy just asking if he can dump a few things!

And i hate to inform you, but you are quite incorrect on many things you are speaking of as well.. as an example, here in Colorado, ALL cars from 1982+ are required to be run on the dynamometer. It varies state to state and region to region.

They didn't slap all the smog controls on the 1970's and 80's cars just for fun.
Old 04-06-15, 01:05 AM
Clunkfish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kidzik007
Do other countries have emissions testing? NO. Not in Mexico. Not in Europe. Not in Japan.
Emissions are tested in the UK and the rest of the European Union, in China, Japan, in India... I think also in Mexico. The tests have to be passed annually in order for you to continue using the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Vacuum line tuck? Emissions delete?